Ark not starting.

Lagonbreezey

On 2/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, Lagonbreezey said:

Recently, My ark has not been starting whenever it tries to open it says  "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.", this has never happened before and just starting happening.

On what platform? 
If on PC ( windows or steam) - go look at what other application you have installed in the last while. This could be running in the back ground and eating enough resources to stop the game from loading? (Answer - uninstall or disable these apps from running in the background)

Otherwise - as @GrumpyBear sez - look at your space available on on your system hard disk - maybe there is 0 bytes to allocate to Ark's HUGE runtime foot print ... (Answer - move or delete some stuff from this drive)

If you on console - bless you for you have sinned ;) 

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

On what platform? 
If on PC ( windows or steam) - go look at what other application you have installed in the last while. This could be running in the back ground and eating enough resources to stop the game from loading? (Answer - uninstall or disable these apps from running in the background)

Otherwise - as @GrumpyBear sez - look at your space available on on your system hard disk - maybe there is 0 bytes to allocate to Ark's HUGE runtime foot print ... (Answer - move or delete some stuff from this drive)

If you on console - bless you for you have sinned ;) 

I'm on steam and i've tried to start it up with nothing else running in the background and that didn't work, I checked my hard drive and it still has 450 gbs left

1 hour ago, Lagonbreezey said:

I'm on steam and i've tried to start it up with nothing else running in the background and that didn't work, I checked my hard drive and it still has 450 gbs left

I guess the follow up question is, how many hard drives or logical partitions are you running?  Is there only  Local C:\ drive, or is there more?  Occasionally, steam picks really weird moments to use different drives for the game installs.  I've had issues with this in the past.   I guess I'm saying, are you sure the game is on the drive you think it is on.  If steam squeezed it into your OS partition....I've had that happen with my kids computers.  Happens when the kids start downloading games onto the smaller partition, then we add the second partition to the list of available steam space.  Then there's 2 possible locations for steam to steer assets to because I was too lazy to move everything off the first drive, and close out the location from the list of possible install locations.

If it is not a hard drive or partition issue,  my thought would be some driver got messed up.  Do you have save points on your OS install?  Sometimes you can restore back to a point where your PC wasn't giving you problems, and that gets around trying to figure out what went wrong.  If not, you are going to have to try and replace all sorts of drivers if you can't narrow down what updated recently , most likely, in the background.

Do other games have issues?  Verified files for your Ark install?  Might try diagnostic stuff first before you go on a mass download and reinstall process.  You can also check your windows install and patch update history.  If something patched, it might be in the list around the time this started happening.  

From what I remember and am reading, this comes up often with broken or missing drivers.  Drivers can go missing or get truncated when computers shut down improperly.

3 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

I guess the follow up question is, how many hard drives or logical partitions are you running?  Is there only  Local C:\ drive, or is there more?  Occasionally, steam picks really weird moments to use different drives for the game installs.  I've had issues with this in the past.   I guess I'm saying, are you sure the game is on the drive you think it is on.  If it squeezed it into your OS partition....I've had that happen with my kids computers.  

If it is not a hard drive or partition issue,  my thought would be some driver got messed up.  Do you have save points on your OS install?  Sometimes you can restore back to a point where your PC wasn't giving you problems, and that gets around trying to figure out what went wrong.  If not, you are going to have to try and replace all sorts of drivers if you can't narrow down what updated recently , most likely, in the background.

Do other games have issues?  Verified files for your Ark install?  Might try diagnostic stuff first before you go on a mass download and reinstall process.  You can also check your windows install and patch update history.  If something patched, it might be in the list around the time this started happening.  

I have an external hard drive where I keep a lot of games and only ark has been having this issue, the drive for the past about 6 months had stopped letting me access the external drive all it says when I try to open it is "D:\ is not accessible. The sephamore timeout period has expired." additionally around an hour ago i've uninstalled the game and it's currently reinstalling which I think could fix the issue, not fully sure though.

14 minutes ago, Lagonbreezey said:

I have an external hard drive where I keep a lot of games and only ark has been having this issue, the drive for the past about 6 months had stopped letting me access the external drive all it says when I try to open it is "D:\ is not accessible. The sephamore timeout period has expired." additionally around an hour ago i've uninstalled the game and it's currently reinstalling which I think could fix the issue, not fully sure though.

Next time, first thing try to repair the files first.  If you didn't know already, you can right click on the name of game in your steam manager, select properties.  Go down to local files, from there you can verify the files.  If more than 2 files are corrected, there was a problem.    External drives are prone to issues, especially if its a spinning disk HDD.   From the usb, or whatever cable used to connect, to the added vibrations, age of HDD inside, how much you abuse the drive, powering down improperly....   Your thought to reinstall is a solid idea, would be on my list of things to do.  We are lucky we don't pay per GB on our internet service.    

Make sure you use the same port all the time for plugging the external drive in? Sometimes not all usb ports are the same connection speed.

Archived