I tamed a Unicorn - now what?

BobInSeattle

According to the Wiki, there is only one per map, and it spawned apparently on the herbivore island where my base is located, so I was able to easily tame it. Since this is a unique dino, I'm wondering who it would mate with? Is an Equus the same species for this purpose, or should I just consider this a lucky find and level him up instead of trying to breed a new bloodline. Sounds like the offspring would not be unicorns?a

• Volunteer Moderator
41 minutes ago, BobInSeattle said:

According to the Wiki, there is only one per map, and it spawned apparently on the herbivore island where my base is located, so I was able to easily tame it. Since this is a unique dino, I'm wondering who it would mate with? Is an Equus the same species for this purpose, or should I just consider this a lucky find and level him up instead of trying to breed a new bloodline. Sounds like the offspring would not be unicorns?a

There can only be one wild one on the map at a time. They can only breed with other unicorns. You'll have to grab another. 

Other than that, I can't think of a thing they are useful for. It's basically just another horse.

37 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There can only be one wild one on the map at a time. They can only breed with other unicorns. You'll have to grab another. 

Other than that, I can't think of a thing they are useful for. It's basically just another horse.

That’s what i said I even made a topic just to make unicorns useful

2 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

The Unicorn is a very unique dino on the Island. Finding one is really hard because it has spawns all over the map. Besides that, it can spawn in very hostile environments for it. That makes it survival chances small, just on its own, not even considering taming it...
Very lucky find and tame...
You want a better chance at taming one? Try looking for one on Ragnarok or even better Valguero.
I only found and tamed 1 Unicorn on the Island EVER, tamed 4 on Valguero and I play like 100 times more on Island...

22 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

So it looks like I should just level it up and forget about trying to breed a bloodline. I had a feeling it was a unique species, there isn't even a saddle for it and it doesn't require a saddle to ride.

It's basically a collectable and/or vanity item to encourage people socializing with other tribes on public servers. "Hey everyone, I tamed a Lvl 145 Unicorn, does anyone else have a high level to breed with this one?" They are fundamentally identical to equus except for the only-one-at-a-time status.

Chances of getting two high level unicorns on your own private map with two players is very low. Even if other high levels spawn on your map in the future it would take a whole lot of luck for you to find and tame another one to start breeding.

The saddle situation is just like a regular equus, you don't need a saddle to ride them either, but you can put an equus saddle on your unicorn if you want to. The benefits of a saddle are a) armor to reduce taking damage b) a portable mortar & pestle. Everything you can make in the mortar you can also make using the inventory of an equus/unicorn with a saddoe.

9 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

paint the rainbow on it, other than that, its just a horse.......at least with the phoenix on SE, you can melt metal and cook food. =/

10 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

Yeah lucky...

Sometime I search one here on TheIsland but... never... nope... notthing.. nada... niente... uffffff

:D

Archived