Do higher level Pickaxe & Hatchet BPs provide fewer resources

Charlie12345

Amazed there arent more discussions on this, but having done some testing & some reading on forums, it appears that higher level pickaxe BPs end up breaking nodes quicker and therefore give out less resources per node. 

Is this correct?  And if so, why are people so into high level pickaxe's?  Is it just that they need to be mended less often?

They work similar to a dino, higher the melee for a dino, or damage stat on an item, the more damage you will do to the target the higher the resource yield will be. Any resource node or enemy will have a hitpoint stat so you are right in thinking the more damage the quicker the target will be destroyed, but the difference could be something like;

10 hits from a primitive hatchet at 10 resource per hit yields 100 resources and takes 1 min to break node.

or

5 hits from an ascendant hatchet at 50 per hit yields 250 resources in 30 secs to break node.

So more damage = more resources and less time. Hopefully that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

Amazed there arent more discussions on this, but having done some testing & some reading on forums, it appears that higher level pickaxe BPs end up breaking nodes quicker and therefore give out less resources per node. 

Is this correct?  And if so, why are people so into high level pickaxe's?  Is it just that they need to be mended less often?

They give more resources per hit and therefore need fewer hits to completely harvest the node.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:37 AM, Charlie12345 said:

incorrect, they harvest more.....Just not enough to justify the cost

One primitive pick can harvest maybe 100 flint per river rock
One ascendent pick can harvest maybe 200 flint per river rock

Cost of primitive pick is 1 metal and stuff
Cost pf ascendent pick is 100 metal and lots of stuff

sadness level of loosing primitive pick is "oh well" 
sadness level of loosing ascendent pick is "I will never financially recover from this"

Now with all of this said, this is for a crafted pick. You can easily get a better pick or other tools from supply drops and alpha creatures, as such, these upgrades are super awesome as its free and provides better harvesting rates at no cost to you if you manage to get lucky. And as for alpha's dropping ascendent grade equipment, I have gotten 500% ascendent crossbows from these kills before. So it it possible. Just gotta have lady luck on your side.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:12 PM, wizard03 said:

incorrect, they harvest more.....Just not enough to justify the cost

One primitive pick can harvest maybe 100 flint per river rock
One ascendent pick can harvest maybe 200 flint per river rock

Cost of primitive pick is 1 metal and stuff
Cost pf ascendent pick is 100 metal and lots of stuff

sadness level of loosing primitive pick is "oh well" 
sadness level of loosing ascendent pick is "I will never financially recover from this"

Now with all of this said, this is for a crafted pick. You can easily get a better pick or other tools from supply drops and alpha creatures, as such, these upgrades are super awesome as its free and provides better harvesting rates at no cost to you if you manage to get lucky. And as for alpha's dropping ascendent grade equipment, I have gotten 500% ascendent crossbows from these kills before. So it it possible. Just gotta have lady luck on your side.

You forget a very valuable resource... time. The reason to use a better quality pick or hatchet is the time saved. Same reason for a higher melee on a gatherer dino.

15 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

You forget a very valuable resource... time. The reason to use a better quality pick or hatchet is the time saved. Same reason for a higher melee on a gatherer dino.

Maybe, if you got to farm the resources to make said tools but your not spending more than a few months on each map, then its a terrible waste of time. However if you plan on staying on each map for a few months, or if you plan on brining said tool across the other maps, then it makes sense.

In both scenario's however, Id think Id just level up a harvesting dino instead.....No need to farm crazy resources, no need to repair said tool with crazy resources, if you get attacked, there is two of you defending instead of just you.

About the only tool I would consider doing this with is the chainsaw, its the only one I would absolutely consider doing as it is an OP harvesting boss. I was hopeing the mineing drill was the same, but nigh, it sucks. Well, that and a club. Club + melee mantis = KO king

Archived