New Player Feedback

Bazslaz

I just bought ARK and am very disappointed so far and let me explain why, I have now tried to login to over 20 different servers, on login I end up at a starting beach which is covered with player high rises.  These players put pillars all the way down the beach preventing a new player from even putting down a campfire to get started.  Or they build massive gates across the river so you have to run so far to get around them you die 20 times.   By the time you run down the beach far enough to be able to place a campfire you have died so many times that you have not even gotten to play.  How is this fun for a new player?

Players should not be able to build permanent structures in starter spawn locations.  Anything over 30 days old in a starter location should be auto destroyed so new players can play

23 minutes ago, Bazslaz said:

I just bought ARK and am very disappointed so far and let me explain why, I have now tried to login to over 20 different servers, on login I end up at a starting beach which is covered with player high rises.  These players put pillars all the way down the beach preventing a new player from even putting down a campfire to get started.  Or they build massive gates across the river so you have to run so far to get around them you die 20 times.   By the time you run down the beach far enough to be able to place a campfire you have died so many times that you have not even gotten to play.  How is this fun for a new player?

Players should not be able to build permanent structures in starter spawn locations.  Anything over 30 days old in a starter location should be auto destroyed so new players can play

There are Beginner servers that allow you to get to know the game better. There is a lot more room to build and if you are more climatized with the game, you can move to "normal" servers with your character and stuff.
If you want to experience the survival aspect of the game at max, you should try singleplayer. Also there are unofficial servers also, those can suit you a lot better...

I agree that some things about this should have been a little different. But in the end it is also not that hard to figure out a way to get to a more suitable area on a server. Some servers I imagen are complete hell to new players, but on most servers, if you go a little bit inland, you will find a spot...

Besides that, I think you play Pve, so if you try to ask the community, maybe they can help you get started. But again, online, its not going to be "your' island, far from it :/

Maybe this game is indeed not for you, but maybe try beginner server first, try singleplayer or unofficial. if you still want to stick to PvE official, I mainly play on 343, Island. Also got bases on SE.373, Rag.210, Ab.221, Ext.510, Gen1.650, Gen2.1003, Val.522. When Im online, Im more than welcome to help you get started, get a good location etc etc...
I am also willing to get to your server for a bit and help you out if you want...

Your comment is ridiculous, I got to max level on a beginner server before i realized those are capped at level 44.  I have now been on 20 different servers as a new player so i can play the full game i paid for.  I have died over 20  times because old players have entire bays encircled.  one guy has a huge building and then put pillers around the entire bay so NO ONE can build.  how is that fair to beginners and vets?  Why should I have to try as a beginner to swim across a by and die 20 times because someone built an entire gate so you can not run around the bay? Or their building goes way out into the bay? 

5 Times I died because I was cold and starving and could not put down a campfire to cook meat

5 times I died to Piranha trying to get around another players building or gate.

This will KILL THIS GAME and if ARK wants this game to thrive they need to fix this crap.  One player should not be able to take up and entire bay or inlet for themselves and make it so no one else can play 

I am playing on PC and This is now the 30th server I have tried.  The one I am on now a SINGLE player has a huge home and put Pillers with a piece of steal on it all around the entire bay, the tops of the mountain around the bay and the countryside going inland near the bay.  I have now died 7 times on this server and have not even started to play.   This is ridiculous you might as well name the server after this one player and just forbid anyone else from playing on it.  It is like this on every beach on every official server.

1 minute ago, Bazslaz said:

I am playing on PC and This is now the 30th server I have tried.  The one I am on now a SINGLE player has a huge home and put Pillers with a piece of steal on it all around the entire bay, the tops of the mountain around the bay and the countryside going inland near the bay.  I have now died 7 times on this server and have not even started to play.   This is ridiculous you might as well name the server after this one player and just forbid anyone else from playing on it.  It is like this on every beach on every official server.

If you are on PVE, try to write on game's chat, 90% of player in PVE are happy to help the new player, expecialy in your first day... I'm on XBox I'sorry.. 

3 hours ago, Bazslaz said:

Hi Bazaslaz,

As you have already seen you're going to get a lot of push back from other players, but don't let that get you down. It seems very likely from your comments that this is the first time you've played a survival game that includes base building. There are survival games, there are base building games, and then there are games like ARK that combine both. There are other games that combine both survival and base building, but if you haven't played them then this particular combination of game mechanics can be pretty shocking at first.

The beauty of ARK is that it can be played multiple ways - Official servers, Unofficial public servers, private dedicated servers, private non-dedicated, single-player, PvE, PvP, and more. What this means is that you have an opportunity with ARK that you don't find in most games - you can try it out the various different ways to play the game and see which style of game play is fun for you.

Just as one example, I've played on Official PvP, Official PvE, Unofficial PvE, single-player and private Unofficial PvE, and it's that last one that I like best. There are good points and bad points to all of those options and you'll see that other people on the forums have different preferences, and you might too. Just keep in mind that there are pro's and con's to each of the different ways to play the game and this is not a short-term "get in and beat the game quickly" kind of game. You won't find obvious linear stories, you won't find quests (well a few, but only a few), what you'll find is a large, overarching story theme and other than that it's mostly a "build your own adventure" kind of game.

There is, as you have already discovered, a big learning curve with this game. Not only is it steep at first, but no matter what you do there's still more to learn. ARK is deep and rich with tips and trick to accomplish many things in the game.

Just remember, there are things in the game that feel incredibly stupid as a new player but as you play the game more you'll start to understand why the game works the way it does. Then there are other things that feel incredibly stupid that over time you'll realize are actually... still incredibly stupid. But honestly there are very few of those. ARK is a game with many bugs as well as some failings and weaknesses depending on which environment you choose to play in, but the conceptual framework of the game (like pillars and claiming territory) will start to make more and more sense to you if you continue playing the game.

Good luck and happy ARK'ing.

2 hours ago, Bazslaz said:

Now I have run so far inland to put a campfire and bed that i ran out of water and died because its to far from the beach this game is some serious BS

That doesn't seem funny to you now, but it will later. As with any survival game, dying in various absurd ways is something you'll start to laugh about as time goes on.

p.s. In case this hasn't been said, as a new player your best choice is to start on The Island. It's the original map in the game and in my opinion it's still the best map to use to learn the game before you start exploring other maps.

You are focusing too hard on getting a base on land.  It only takes a small amount of effort to reach the point of building a raft.  You can set a campfire on that.  Then u can hug the shore and look around,  expect the raft to get destroyed, making more will level you up more.

spend points wisely to start,  ask for tips. People sometimes has land they can spare.  Asking for tips and not handouts works well to get started.

DAAAMN! That's impressive. I don't know how much time I've got, but it's less than 1k hours (probably). But yes, dying in ARK is part of the game. It's natural. You die, you go back, get your stuff, do more stuff, die, rinse and repeat. That's just how we roll. ARK's got the steepest learning curve of any game I've ever played, and it's rough at first. But once you've got the hang of it, well, it's genuinely fun. Being a beach bob is part of ARK life, and you eventually get over it. You gain experience and you overcome it. Try sp first. Servers are not as easy to play on as singleplayer, since on sp, it's your ARK, your way. You've got freedom to slowly make your way up the ladder and learn how to, well ARK. By the way, GrumpyBear-Syntac's got less hours than you...

28 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Those last 3 are probably bugged. 🙃

The last time I looked I was at 17/32.  I don't even know how I got to 29. 

And i beat overseer on gamma solo and alpha with a team.  I never bothered to beat beta.  Haven't tamed every creature possible, and I never did the boss fight on the center.  That's the missing 3.

Archived