Auto-Decay--------Why ? waste my time Ark

Dasa1987

this is stupid. I've lost a lot of time beause of this.... i understand if you leave for a long time it can be destroyed or with the render.. my wood tree platform got desotryed...and bunch of other stuff..

but upset me the most.. I down a high lvl tame.. and i tamed it... so now on the way to pick it up and take it to my base.... on rout it said you tame was auto decay.. i did not have it for more then 10sec... but it took me over 2hrs to tame it... like DILO ? how can you play if the tames and building just disappear.. it was out in the open on the floor and not in the floor.. had fence around it and for what ??? just to waste pro 10hrs getting everything ready just for it to auto decay... how can i tame or build if it auto decays ?????

thank you Ark for wasting my time,.,.,

oh and my base i have not been to for a over week is ok... ?? but now everything auto decay.. or only own a tame for 10sec...

im very unhappy and how Ark has turn out.. I'm very disappointed. 

• Haha 1

Everything has a decay timer, but there are very different times available.  The decay timers have a very useful purpose, it clears the clutter.  If there were no decay timers, there would have been nowhere to build on any map after the first 2 years the game was out.  You would be 3 years too late and would be, instead, complaining there was nowhere to build.

For bases made out of these materials, the times are;  4 days for thatch, 8 days for wood, 12 for stone, 16 for metal.

Animals left out in the open are on the 8 day timer as well.  This game punishes those who don't study before hand, because it is a survival game.  You want to survive, you are going to need to study a few things or learn by trial and error.

If you look at your structures up close, you can hold down the H key and see the timer.  If you put your animals into cryopods, and set those cryo fridges on the ground, they could last 40days.  You would then power it back up first, then your pods would be fine.  If you opened the cryofridge with the power out, all pods will be rendered dead.

These are things we have learned through the course of playing.  We all have lost dozens upon dozens of animals that took days to weeks to raise, its part of the game.  

Edited by GrumpyBear
Made last statement less about me, and more reflective of the common shared experience.
  • Thanks 1

I should add, I was probably too dismissive of the issue in my first post here. The OP has touched on a subject that wildcard should revisit.  They removed the ability of us players to see the count down timers on animals, as well as the ability to claim dinos from tribes who's bases were blanking. 

The OP should have noticed countdown timers all over the maps they were playing on.  There are no official PVE servers that are empty enough to not see pillars with days:hours:minutes:seconds counting down.

The message is everywhere. OP should have noticed. Except on the tames.  That is the part I would agree the subject needs addressing, and where I can't fault the OP for not knowing.  The structures, that's completely on them, its in everyone's face.

In the past when we had more players, more stuff accumulating, it made sense to limit this exponential growth of stuff and junk being stored up.  But if we are past the hump where this process of servers filling up with more stuff and junk is killing the servers, maybe they could relax some gates they put in place. 

Giving us the ability to claim the dinos before they blank could allow some kind souls to preserve someone's collection for if they return.  It would also help keep some people from leaving altogether if they came back and found people salvaged their dinos when they weren't aware that was an issue.   The fact we can't see the timers at all makes it less obvious that it will happen.  

Otherwise, if we can't have the good old days back, extend the dino decay timer to 14 days, make it visible to everyone but keep it non-claimable.  At least when players see others ORP protected tames, they will see a timer and the message will click with newer players that a timer is in play.

Edited by GrumpyBear
adjusted the start of the post.
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 6:58 PM, GrumpyBear said:

The message is everywhere. OP should have noticed. Except on the tames.

OP is mostly describing a bug that's been reported for years and still remains unfixed. Imo it happens more on console but sometimes (more often than you'd think would be acceptable) something will decay seconds after it's tamed. Seems to have something to do with it taming while no one is in render distance. You can find many threads of people having issues with this but it's still not fixed. 

34 minutes ago, Tylanater said:

OP is mostly describing a bug that's been reported for years and still remains unfixed. Imo it happens more on console but sometimes (more often than you'd think would be acceptable) something will decay seconds after it's tamed. Seems to have something to do with it taming while no one is in render distance. You can find many threads of people having issues with this but it's still not fixed. 

I guess you are correct in that was the thing the OP was most upset over, but the majority of what they complained about was discoverable information through play.  I guess the starting out w/ the tree platform disappearing, set up my thinking that they were complaining about structure decays, and blanked tames in buildings.  I don't parse info well when a person lists multiple problems all into a bundle.

We actually talk about the tames blanking when nobody is in render about once every other week.  We try to inform people here as best we can.  The game is filled with bugs that are never going to be addressed, unless UE5 makes fixes possible.  If its a bug that has existed for 5 years, the majority of us have simply accepted them as part of the game.  I would suggest, tames blanking upon completion is common right now.  Servers have seen low populations, not many people out clearing wilds.  Wilds are going to get old and be set for deletion.

We have timers, and applications we can run concurrently to keep track.  There's even a tracking feature built into the game now that we can watch the progress with.  2hrs lost in the Ark world isn't anything special.  Its called a lesson, if its important to you - be present.

Edited by GrumpyBear
  • Like 1

actually the first time I tried to play online server the first thing I immediately noticed was the "structure decay timer", the problem is that its meaning and functioning is not explained anywhere, me that time I have some servers and map types noting that it was on all of them, I was a little worried because I could not know that it would reset every time I reconnected, in the end I had to search for information on the web to understand and reassure myself that it was normal, and it is on the web I later found out that a timer also existed for the dinos. honestly since I've been playing it has never happened to me that a Dino disappeared after a few seconds from taming (XBox) except once an Ankylo that I left to tame outside the rendering and disappeared as soon as I got closer but in that case I hadn't completed it yet the taming and even if from afar the tracking was active I then realized that on returning it was eaten by the nearby Allosaurus who probably ate it while I was leaving or entering the rendering. apart from this episode (however explainable) I have often met players who didn't understand what that timer was, probably a page with some of this basic information would have been useful to have in the online game login screen.

• 11 months later...