The UE5 Update Will Destroy ALL Mods

LadyCrescent

Hello, everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but a huge problem has come to my attention.

Per Zed Rose (sp) on Twitter, the UE5 update will effectively destroy the Steam Workshop mods until / unless they’re recooked in the new Dev Kit. Most of you know the vast majority of mods are abandoned and haven’t been worked on in years. Heck, even the creator of S+ said he was done working on it last I checked.

This screws over every single-player and unofficial player in an irreparable way, destroying bases, structures, tames, the list goes on.

For me personally, though, this change will destroy my sanctuaries. I’m very ill mentally and physically. Almost nothing makes me happy. Ark…makes me happy in a way nothing else does.

WildCard has threatened my sanctuaries before. September 2017, the launch of Scorched Earth…where even attempting to launch The Island or The Center deleted the save data of unofficial games. I was on Xbox, then, and I got very lucky. The second something was off I dashboarded the game before it could save, and saves my sanctuaries. But my trust was ruined. I had to be able to save my game. What followed was multiple years of saving for a laptop…and now, what amounts to all the money in the world for me, won’t be able to save my pets. My homes. There’s so much at stake here for me, and for thousands of others who are facing, effectively, a dev sanctioned wipe of years of effort and love.

@Cedric I’m asking if there will be a legacy version of Ark on UE4 for us, a way to opt out of the update. This is not exciting news for unofficial, it’s a disaster of proportions that defy description.

I turned off auto-updates on Xbox, and I never opened my Xbox game again, the day I moved to PC. It exists now as Schrödinger’s Ark. As far as I know my pets are safe and healthy. Even if I can’t risk visiting them, I take solace in that.

I stopped Ark from automatically staying up to date yesterday. But I don’t want another vault, where all I can do is know that refusing updates and never playing again protects my pets and sanctuaries.

Please tell me that there will be an option provided to unofficial and single player to stay on UE4 and keep our mods. Ark is so much more than just a videogame for me, but if there isn’t a way to save my sanctuaries, I’m afraid I don’t think my heart can handle an inevitable third time.

Please give us a way to save years of time, effort and love. Let me save my sanctuaries.

Honestly while I do feel the pain behind loosing some mods for the game that truly should have been a part of the game from the beginning, I have to ponder how much of it is worth the while? Ontop of that, the entire player base is going to get the upgrade while only the players on steam who can use the mods will be effected. People on PlayStation, Xbox, Mobile, Switch, Epic, and the other systems ark is playable on are not able to add said mods.

It may sound a lil selfish as Im with the xbox crew, but wouldn't the update be good, even if its just for the majority? 

44 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Honestly while I do feel the pain behind loosing some mods for the game that truly should have been a part of the game from the beginning, I have to ponder how much of it is worth the while? Ontop of that, the entire player base is going to get the upgrade while only the players on steam who can use the mods will be effected. People on PlayStation, Xbox, Mobile, Switch, Epic, and the other systems ark is playable on are not able to add said mods.

It may sound a lil selfish as Im with the xbox crew, but wouldn't the update be good, even if its just for the majority? 

Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not saying they shouldn’t upgrade. Tbh, I don’t necessarily understand why they’re bothering with Ark 2 on the way, but I imagine the graphics update will be nice for most.

All I’m asking is if there will an option for unofficials on Steam that all use mods that are no longer being developed - to decline the upgrade.

Be it a legacy version that just isn’t worked on any more and the UE5 version a separate download that ports your progression, a way to down-patch to keep the UE4 version as an individual, or just to flatly decline the upgrade…specifically for people like me that value the mods more than a graphics/performance overhaul.

Hell, maybe there are people out there who are savvier than me in the ways of Steam that just knows how to take my modded Ark file offline entirely so I can just play this version with those mods and never get another update for any of that would content me.

At no point did I mean to come across like I thought WildCard should deny that graphics and performance overhaul to everyone based on the unofficial servers of Steam. I’m just appealing for there to be an option for us.

Since you’re on console, just the tiniest part of what it would cost me is hundreds of my favorite modded pet, every bench and greenhouse built in S+, every outpost and palace built in CKF, and my wireless electric lights. We’re talking major losses for Steam unofficials.

I fully support WildCard’s decision to do the overhaul. I just want there to be an option for people like me who’ve dealt with Ark’s graphics and performance just fine this whole time, and would rather have an Ark version that supports the mods I use.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm confused. What's the point of having anything 'safe' when you no longer use it at all?

Delicately, I suffer from extreme disabilities and mental illness, and “protecting” my horde of cute pixels makes sense for the joy they brought me. For someone with the problems I’m facing, actually facing the destruction would have serious consequences for my mental health. I don’t expect a healthy mind to understand. It’s just what makes sense for me.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, LadyCrescent said:

.Delicately, I suffer from extreme disabilities and mental illness, and “protecting” my horde of cute pixels makes sense for the joy they brought me. For someone with the problems I’m facing, actually facing the destruction would have serious consequences for my mental health. I don’t expect a healthy mind to understand. It’s just what makes sense for me.

Far enough. Things affect everyone in different ways. 

Maybe WC will come up with something that doesn't cause too much havoc. 

6 hours ago, LadyCrescent said:

At no point did I mean to come across like I thought WildCard should deny that graphics and performance overhaul to everyone based on the unofficial servers of Steam. I’m just appealing for there to be an option for us.

Oh, fair enough....Maybe they can offer it as a Ark "light" in solo play or something?

Archived