Is it even worth building a metal base in pve

WagonSlayer

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ 

I like my tek base, no wires  means I can put all dinos away and not have to check in every 3 days to keep timers from running out.  You have to do every 3 days because if you run it up to the last day, you will lose your stuff to crashasaurus rex.  Servers love to crash after you leave following a check in.  You find out almost a week later that it happened to you, which is why you cut that timer in half and visit 2x as often.

Higher quality build means, less maintenance.

8 hours ago, WagonSlayer said:

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ 

Depends.....Is decay timer a thing? are you near any bad boy dino spawns? Do you need help against the heat or cold? Is metal easier to harvest are you have extra laying around?

It all depends on your situation, but if you want giga's, yes. There is reasoning to at least unlocking metal structures

16 hours ago, zero064 said:

Build the outside walls and their supports from metal once you can.

It's possible to build a stone base so that alpha creatures won't aggro on anything, but you'll hate life if they do come after you.

Problem with that is I've had alpha's spawn inside the walls. Heck, I've had them spawn inside my metal base for that matter.  Not supposed to happen, but if they spawn inside the walls then at least with a metal base they won't kill you and all your babies that are out if the babies are inside your metal base.  (unless they spawn inside your base.  I had to start leaving a lvl 450 thyla out on aggressive to protect them)

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Teratus said:

I've lived in the same stone castle on the same cluster map for over 3 years now, never had any issues with it being damaged by any wild creatures.

I think most reponses here are from people playing before PVE became such a snooze fest with ORP. Back in the day, you had to build to protect yourself. 

Now it's kinda hello kitty booboo breeding simulator.

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I think most reponses here are from people playing before PVE became such a snooze fest with ORP. Back in the day, you had to build to protect yourself. 

Now it's kinda hello kitty booboo breeding simulator.

Well the thread is aimed at PvE, so makes sense PvE players would be the primary responders ^^

Generally you never really needed to build for protection in PvE, though there was always a risk someone would pull something to other peoples base's to ruin them out of spite so I can't say ORP is in any way a bad thing for eliminating that kind of crappy behaviour 

PvP is where building to protect yourself was an essential element.

PvE building has always been more for aesthetics which is far more enjoyable to a lot of people.

We do a lot of breeding on the cluster I play on, that's true.. but we have plenty more to do than that thanks to all the custom events we run.
Weekly custom super boss fights being one that see's numerous super bred tames being used to try and take them down.
It's good fun ^^

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Teratus said:

Well the thread is aimed at PvE, so makes sense PvE players would be the primary responders ^^

Generally you never really needed to build for protection in PvE, though there was always a risk someone would pull something to other peoples base's to ruin them out of spite so I can't say ORP is in any way a bad thing for eliminating that kind of crappy behaviour 

PvP is where building to protect yourself was an essential element.

PvE building has always been more for aesthetics which is far more enjoyable to a lot of people.

We do a lot of breeding on the cluster I play on, that's true.. but we have plenty more to do than that thanks to all the custom events we run.
Weekly custom super boss fights being one that see's numerous super bred tames being used to try and take them down.
It's good fun ^^

Oh I love PVE (played a lot of both modes). But it's become quite the snooze fest to me since ORP. It made the 'environment' disappear when you log off. Really takes away from a true, live open world experience. 

10 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Oh I love PVE (played a lot of both modes). But it's become quite the snooze fest to me since ORP. It made the 'environment' disappear when you log off. Really takes away from a true, live open world experience. 

I can't say I agree tbh.

Frankly if I logged on one day to find a the base i'd been living in and all the resources and dino's I had collected for years was wiped out because someone thought it would be funny to pull a giga to it I wouldn't just accept that as being "part of the experience".. I would be furious, especially at the player who did it.

That's just not in the spirit of cooperative/multiplayer PvE to me, it's a malicious PvP action which is something I and every other PvE player I play with consider we actively opted out of when we decided to join a PvE cluster instead of a PvP one.

I've never liked the idea of games doing things out of the players control though, it's very different when something happens to you while you are logged in and you have some power to prevent it happening or defend against it.
But when you're not around and all your progress is being dismantled and you neither know nor can do anything about it.. that's just enraging lol

On 1/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

I would agree with that if it wasn't for the number of griefers who like to lure things to other people's bases, people who are too cowardly for PvP but feel entitled to take dishonest advantage of "the environment" to ruin PvE for other players.

I've never assumed that PvE means cooperative, if people want to play solo or completely refuse to interact with anyone else on the PvE server that's reasonable and it's their choice. But when someone uses the game mechanics to attack other players while hiding behind the pretense that they're not it's a complete violation of what PvE is supposed to be. From the point of view of building, territory, trading, negotiating and socializing, other players are part of the environment, but for combat purposes they shouldn't be.

Mind you, it's still smart in PvE to build your base so that dinos can't accidentally wander in or get kited nearby by people who are not being deliberately malicious (it can be pretty hard to prove intent, after all). But even if you generally give other players the benefit of the doubt it's still a certainty that some portion of players on PvE try to deliberately use the environment to grief & attack other players, and that's why (in my view) ORP on PvE is a necessity.

Archived