Issues With New Chat Filter

Muucow

So the chat filter in the game has been progressively getting more out of hand.

I get why some people want more stringent ai to catch ways that people get around it, but that leads into another problem.

as it stands right now, not only does it now censor ‘clean’ words, but also numbers too. Here’s a list of all the words I’ve found that I’m of the opinion no one should ever have a need to have censored, at least on ark.

“For” “lol” “could” “blood” “die” “raw” “weapon” “ammo” “10” “14” “68”

just… why?

You're on xbox right?   It's because Wildcard didn't make their own filter or if they did it didn't meet requirements.  So instead of fixing their filter to meet the requirements or even making one they chose to go with the terrible one Microsoft has available for games.   There are other games that use this filter too and it's been terrible for years now.   Some game companies just don't want to spend the time or money on console to implement an adequate filter.   The one they're using probably has some automated system that bans words based on reports across all of the games that use the filter, which means it catches a lot of common words.

FWIW the above is how it was described to my gf when she pestered a CM enough in another game about those words being banned.  Their filter didn't "pass" so instead of trying to fix it, they just opted to use the broken rental filter from Microsoft.

Edited by Bitzy

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Bitzy said:

You're on xbox right?   It's because Wildcard didn't make their own filter or if they did it didn't meet requirements.  So instead of fixing their filter to meet the requirements or even making one they chose to go with the terrible one Microsoft has available for games.   There are other games that use this filter too and it's been terrible for years now.   Some game companies just don't want to spend the time or money on console to implement an adequate filter.   The one they're using probably has some automated system that bans words based on reports across all of the games that use the filter, which means it catches a lot of common words.

FWIW the above is how it was described to my gf when she pestered a CM enough in another game about those words being banned.  Their filter didn't "pass" so instead of trying to fix it, they just opted to use the broken rental filter from Microsoft.

They have always used the Xbox filter.

It's never been this bad. Not even close.

2 hours ago, Bitzy said:

nope on PC so the Xbox filter unless they've somehow Frankenstein'd it into the game shouldn't apply(basing this off my very limited knowledge of programming or what they used) . i know Black Desert had an extremely hardcore filter but at least they allowed people to opt out of it client side why that couldn't be the same case here is utterly beyond me.

• Wildcard QA
7 minutes ago, Muucow said:

nope on PC so the Xbox filter unless they've somehow Frankenstein'd it into the game shouldn't apply(basing this off my very limited knowledge of programming or what they used) . i know Black Desert had an extremely hardcore filter but at least they allowed people to opt out of it client side why that couldn't be the same case here is utterly beyond me.

It's not a standard maturity filter, it doesn't even censor standard swear words. It specifically targets slurs

Edited by Evza

On 2/9/2023 at 7:00 AM, Evza said:

I already addressed that earlier in this thread:

well considering as far as im aware the steam version of ark has nothing to do with the xbox or windows store filters your reason would be invalid would it not. but hey we all know public testing has never been a strong suit within ark. and if wc is forcing MS's chat filters into the game they can sure as well add an option to allow the player base to turn it off which nullifies EVERY issue in this thread. i do apologize if im getting testy with this but the it wasnt me it was them excuse gets really old when you see and hear it on a daily basis.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Muucow said:

crack crack of all words  we cant crack rocks, have a piece of cracked wood, or maybe some cracked pepper after cracking and cooking some cracked eggs poor jimmy cant crack corn anymore and apparently that terribly maniacal evil button in the incubator needs to be censored as well.

***** kills

On 2/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

They have always used the Xbox filter.

It's never been this bad. Not even close.

Not saying it's not that bad, it's awful right now, but it's been worse before.  When they banned the word I for weeks over 2 years ago, unbanned it, then banned it again that was the worst.  The number 1 and lowercase L was also banned at the same time. This is bad though and it sounds like since it's affecting PC too that at least part of the filter problem is some other filter they use too.  I just know about the xbox one they use which is what's responsible for messages not even sending in chat because you used a banned word like "could". 

I'd think that game companies would have a way to contact Microsoft when their fitler goes nuts and bans words like "could" and "lol" and "I".    I'm not sure if they just don't care enough to contact Microsoft or if Microsoft doesn't care eough to fix it, or both.   If they made their own filter on XBox, like many games do, they could stop relying on the mirosoft one so at least when it's broken they could fix it quickly.

The new chat filter is supposed to be a learning filter that will add more and more to the "bad" word filter including possible combinations people can think of for words to bypass the filter. How long before the entire chat is just asterisks? A simple sentence using "egg ready" turns into "*** *eady". The filter is just getting started so what will be filtered out by the time it expands it's word bypass list? 

On a side note I think the word filter just caused the Battle Eye to shut my Ark off. I was trying to see what Center maps were on looking in the transmitter. I was typing The Cen and got battle eye message saying Ark was shut down due to corrupt files. I was not running anything new nor do I have any new programs that were added to my computer. There was just a small update done by Wildcard to Ark though. So is the word filter now crashing Ark through Battle Eye?

If they use the microsoft chat filter, how come none of the "bad" words are censored in any other game??? Is it not more reasonable that there has always been a troll who works for WC and just enjoys messing with people. Reason for lvl 450 cap ?? Event lvl 225 carcas for sale even tho it wasn't out during event, and many more smaller ones.

Edited by Kristofer

So one of the people in my cluster reached out to ark and got this response, this leads us to believe it's a microsoft issue;

20230301_134253.thumb.png.069d86f76f75ecca2ed167a4cc00d369.png

So I reached out to the community forums on Xbox, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/in-game-chat-filter/2d6b0665-2fa7-48ad-b842-64b263444866

20230301_134208.thumb.jpg.01f6522da2c864553064f9d8e628c8b0.jpg

Hopfully wildcard can look into this more? 

• 9 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 7:26 AM, TheTrueSpider said:

So the chat filter in the game has been progressively getting more out of hand.

I get why some people want more stringent ai to catch ways that people get around it, but that leads into another problem.

as it stands right now, not only does it now censor ‘clean’ words, but also numbers too. Here’s a list of all the words I’ve found that I’m of the opinion no one should ever have a need to have censored, at least on ark.

“For” “lol” “could” “blood” “die” “raw” “weapon” “ammo” “10” “14” “68”

just… why?

February 7th post and this is STILL an issue.  LO gets sensored  I can't even type part of words. I can't even finish the word before half of it gets censored. It's so bad now I can't even type in the search bar for items because it gets censored or deleted.