Issues With New Chat Filter

Muucow

7 minutes ago, Muucow said:

lol "crack" .... literally one of the most used buttons in the game is a filtered word now, they really just need to allow us to opt out of filters.

Do all of you already have your parental controls turned off?  It would be hilarious if everyone complaining has them on. 

I'll ask my kid to dive in and test things out on his game when he gets home from school.  That way I can see what you all are seeing maybe.

Edited by GrumpyBear

• Volunteer Moderator
35 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Do all of you already have your parental controls turned off?  It would be hilarious if everyone complaining has them on. 

I'll ask my kid to dive in and test things out on his game when he gets home from school.  That way I can see what you all are seeing maybe.

No, chat/text is just horked now. It's happening across platforms. Searching for things in inventory is just about impossible without playing scrabble and it's damn near impossible to use chat to actually communicate anything to anybody without charades. 

Edited by Joebl0w13

12 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

No, chat/text is just horked now. It's happening across platforms. Searching for things in inventory is just about impossible without playing scrabble. 

Thank you for that confirmation.  Absolutely hilarious.  Ark loves to throw challenges our way.  I guess we got a whole new game, efficiency of language.  We could end up with all new shorthand language here for the game.  Old players returning will come back to a whole new language.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

Thank you for that confirmation.  Absolutely hilarious.  Ark loves to throw challenges our way.  I guess we got a whole new game, efficiency of language.  We could end up with all new shorthand language here for the game.  Old players returning will come back to a whole new language.

Xbox's chat has always been B.A.D. bad. But it's pretty much unusable at the moment.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:41 PM, GrumpyBear said:

then you all should be complaining to where you will get some sort of answer. 

https://support.survivetheark.com/hc/en-us

In the upper right corner of the page, you click log in, then click on submit a request.  That will open an actual ticket to report a bug with the chat.  This will get you a more definitive answer than going here on the forums, where none of us have a view of the internal workings on this.

If someone did that, they could come back here and give us a run down on the wildcard response.  This will help us focus our energy in the right places.

I have. No response. 

"in" is also banned. How else are we able to chat like this? 

10, 13, 36, 68 and a lot of numbers banned. I can't even post map coordinates because of or. Or identify my dinos with the stats

28 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

I wonder if this is chatGPT's fault.   Maybe they switched to AI to filter it out, and the AI was trained by pre-teens chatting in CoD.

That is both fun and... an intriguing possibility. That would be evidence that AI is still more artificial than it is intelligent, despite what some researchers at google might think. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be a good improvement to fix the broken chat filter in game. You cant even say a simple sentence with for example the word "for" without the entire sentence being blocked. Need to only block actual bad words to keep it rated e. Also would be nice if instead of the entire sentence being blocked it only blocked the word. And if this is not feasable then a list of the so called banned words would be nice so all players know how to word a sentence without retyping mindlessly 7 times.

• Like 1

wildcard have recently made changes to the chat filter on ark, but they've done it in the stupidest way possible and probably didn't check through the filter manually whatsoever before putting the changes through to the games live servers. its almost like they just got an ai to skim other chat filters and put in no effort at all because there are some glaring errors in this new chat filter that either directly affect gameplay or just straight up dont make sense. some examples are:

• you cant say "raw" or search for it in your inventory, so good luck trying to drop or transfer raw meat without dropping any cooked meat or jerky you have on you because you cant specify "raw" in the search bar and instead just have to search "meat" and then search for whatever else you were forced to transfer or drop alongside the raw meat.
  • bob, you cannot say one of the most iconic names ark has ever had in chat. this is just plain stupid.

there were some other examples like "for" and "an", basic connectives common place in most english sentences that would cause messages not to be sent but they seem to be working now. it would have been nice if they actually checked the filter before putting it into action.

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, Collprince said:

you cant say "raw" or search for it in your inventory, so good luck trying to drop or transfer raw meat without dropping any cooked meat or jerky you have on you because you cant specify "raw" in the search bar and instead just have to search "meat" and then search for whatever else you were forced to transfer or drop alongside the raw meat.

You can search for 'aw'. Does the same thing and is quicker than raw. The filter still sucks.

3 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

I get a "chat" filter - some peeps can get well toxic (if you under 11 years like and ain't heard it before) . But to filter ALL the text in ark???? That ain't right?

I’m not a language expert, but as far as I know,  several different languages use the same alphabet.   There could be unintended consequences to trying to filter for multiple languages.

• Wildcard QA

If you are playing on XBOX or WIN10, and words that you type are completely prevented from being entered (examples: "lol", "10", "raw" ) - that's Microsoft's filter. Our bad word filter hasn't even made it onto console yet, and when it does it will hash out the letters with asterisks, or give an in-game message saying it contains an inappropriate word (if trying to name a dino or structure, for example).

Edited by Evza
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, Evza said:

If you are playing on XBOX or WIN10, and words that you type are completely prevented from being entered (examples: "lol", "10", "raw" ) - that's Microsoft's filter. Our bad word filter hasn't even made it onto console yet, and when it does it will hash out the letters with asterisks, or give an in-game message saying it contains an inappropriate word (if trying to name a dino or structure, for example).

I would prefer to asterisk the word instead. Cause then I wouldn't have to re-type a whole sentence. It is hard to type in console using a controller. 

Imagine that...Woody714 logging on just to gripe again. I cannot believe the touchy sentiments and the audacious social engineering in society today. It is so bad that a mature adult in his 50's (quantify mature as you will) cannot type the words "Ammo" and "Raw" in game. My eyesight is poor. Using smaller versions of larger words enables me to actually read them on the GUI. Megatherium becomes "Meg", megalodon becomes "Shark" etc.  you get the idea. Anything more than about 6 letters is very difficult for me to read easily. Furthermore, with the volume of materials to be "processed" in one's inventory, shortcuts like "Raw" instead of Raw Meat are very useful in searching for a specific material...I have used these shortcuts for several years now. Since I play on both PS4 and Xbox One, I can say I have noticed differences in the "censorship" between the platforms. The last time I  used the PS4, I think I was actually able to label a folder "Ammo" instead of "Ammunition". When I switched back to Xbox One, I noticed right away that "Ammo" was seemingly forbidden. I was certainly annoyed, but since you don't have to access the ammo folder very often, I dealt with it. Suddenly this morning, I notice that I cannot use the word "Raw" when trying to sort raw meat in my inventory. Wow...too much, guys! I use that one alot.

I understand that you are trying to maintain an appropriate environment for online gameplay. While I don't agree with the choices made in regards to censorship and the online community, I can understand blocking obviously offensive language. When the touchiness and social engineering begin to focus on innuendo and so forth, where does it stop? One sure way to draw attention to anything is to forbid it. The same folks who would try to insult someone or be offensive generally will be the first ones to try even harder to defeat the challenges of censorship. You are not eliminating a problem, you are drawing attention to it and amplifying it.

As a mature (ah hem) adult who plays offline and solo in the privacy of his own home, I am getting annoyed at the increasing levels of difficulty of the non-gameplay aspects of  Ark. I quit playing right before the Thanksgiving event when my Xbox one would not stop crashing and losing my progress. I missed the entire Winter Wonderland Event as well...the last one and my favorite, because I decided to play Grounded for the first time. Wow...what a breath of fresh air that was. A game can crash and no progress gets lost...who knew? It is getting a bit cumbersome having to decide if I should play after any given update, or do I lose my entire play through just by logging on? Is the game gonna work today on Fjordur or will I lose 2 hours of progress again? Should I even try to build a base, or can I stomach playing a map for 2 months living on a bare platform with only 4 dinos in play? The game has real issues, but it is still a beautiful and unique experience and apparently worth the torturous efforts needed to continue. Please don't make it anymore technically difficult just because a few people cannot behave online.  I imagine Wildcard has the right to define it's morality as it sees fit, but it is hard to imagine that the words "Raw"  and "Ammo", used in proper context, can be that offensive.

Enough of the diatribe. In the spirit of morality, I will refrain from risking any offense to anyone and leave this forum to log on to The Island where I plan to murder baby Tek Parasaur for their useful bits. smash baby penguins in the head with a wooden club until their cellular membranes collapse in a runny heap and yield a tiny amount of polymer...and I might even break the bond of trust with a few mounts and tame a troodon.  Totally not offensive at all...

On 1/27/2023 at 1:43 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

No, chat/text is just horked now. It's happening across platforms. Searching for things in inventory is just about impossible without playing scrabble and it's damn near impossible to use chat to actually communicate anything to anybody without charades. 

yeah, I didn't noticed but a lil here and a lil there, but now its absolutely borked. Even in single player.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, Evza said:

Yeah, but are you not supposed to communicate with microsodft if any issues crop up? I mean raw doesn't exactly sound like a naughty word, especially in any survival game where raw meat is a thing