So many conflicting answers: can you increase movement speed on flyers?

BobInSeattle

I've seen numerous videos and posts and the answers are all over the map. Can someone give me an authoritative answer to this question? I'm on PC with a rented server from HostHavoc, my wife and I are the admins and we just play alone along with occasional friends. I just want to know if it's worth putting points into the movement speed of my flyers (Pteradon and Argentavis). No mods installed, just playing Island map.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions, authoritative answers appreciated.

9 hours ago, BobInSeattle said:

I've seen numerous videos and posts and the answers are all over the map. Can someone give me an authoritative answer to this question? I'm on PC with a rented server from HostHavoc, my wife and I are the admins and we just play alone along with occasional friends. I just want to know if it's worth putting points into the movement speed of my flyers (Pteradon and Argentavis). No mods installed, just playing Island map.

The answers are conflicting because it depends on the circumstances.

Since you are the server admin you could enable it in your server's config files (game.ini  and/or gameusersettings.ini), or you could add a mod to your server that enables it for you, just as you can add a mod that will do just about anything you can imagine. On the Official servers? No, absolutely not possible. On someone else's dedicated server? Maybe, if the server admin has enabled it. In single player? Yes, if you enable it. On a server where you are the admin? Yes, if you enable it.

This is something that's important to understand about ARK, when you are the server admin you can do just about anything you want either by editing the config files or by adding mods to your server.

With all of that said - personally, I recommend not making that change on your server until you've played the game for long enough to really get a feel for how the game works vanilla, without any changes. The beauty of running your own server is that you can modify it however you want to make the game more fun for you. Do things spoil too quickly? Change the spoil times. Does taming animals take too long? Change the tame timings. Don't like the default spyglass? Find a mod with a better spyglass. But before you make changes it's a good idea to just play the game and start to figure out the things you don't like or that you want to change. Once you've spend some time getting to know the game then change the game however you want to in order to make it more fun for you and your wife.

Ok, I now understand why I'm getting conflicting answers, thank you. I am the admin on my own server, so I can edit the .ini files any way that I want. If I understand the answers in this thread correctly,  after I make the change to game.ini (on HostHavoc, the setting is called "Allow Flyer Speed Leveling" and it can be set to True or False), then I can put points into movement speed on my flyers, and this will have the effect of making them fly faster, is that correct?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions. This is our 2nd playthrough so we've had a lot of vanilla experience already and we're ready to take on new adventures in this go around, but I would like to traverse the Island faster, but I didn't want to waste leveling points. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:31 AM, BobInSeattle said:

Yes, very much yes. I have a tapajero with 200% movement speed that I use to hunt loot drops during the night time......it is really wonderful to fly to that red drop in the winter zone in enough time to get it and get out without freezing to death. In fact, I got my ascendent crossbow doing this, and it is my current knock out king.

Now as for argies and pteradons, depends on how you use them. 

Archived