Ornimegalonyx--The "Giant" owl

LarkspurDragon

Suggestion

So I know we have the Snow Owl, but let me introduce you to the real biggest owl that ever walked the earth: Ornimegalonyx. Yes, I said walked; this owl was probably mostly flightless, able to fly only in short bursts like a wild turkey.

Wanna see it? Here's the owl compared to a modern human. (From Wikipedia)

Homo_sapiens_VS_Ornimegalonyx_oteroi_size_comparison_svg.thumb.png.7fa97c85fc4fba07a860663501ecfca5.png

It had very large feet for its size and was likely an ambush hunter, sitting and waiting for prey and then pouncing on it.

My thoughts for the Ark version were this:

-Ornimegalonyx (Orni) is about the size of a dilo (scaled up a bit from real life, but really, how many Ark creatures are their actual size?).
-They are VERY FAST like a troo, though hunting alone rather than in a pack.
-They're mostly found in open country (most of Scorched Earth, places with not a lot of trees but not generally on mountains).
-They do not wander in the wild, rather, sitting and waiting in concealment posture (see below) for a dino small enough to eat to come by, similar to the purlovia or thyla.
-They cannot be ridden, but once tamed can act as a sort of guard dog or standing harvester of small animals.
-For PVP, the Orni can be set to "Conceal," making itself very skinny and difficult to see until it bursts from hiding at enemy survivors.
-Taming would be accomplished in a way similar to the otter or gacha: you bring small, live animals to the Orni so it can catch them (jerboa/compy/dodo/lystro, etc). This would require a net, lasso or grappling hook, or you could bring it tamed dinos for a small boost.

Other people have suggested this animal as well:

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/gallery/image/9882-ornimegalonyx-dossier/

^I like the idea of the Orni producing pellets that can be substituted for something, cementing paste or otherwise.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/669350-ark-1-or-2-ideas-ornimegalonyx/#comment-3339689

If it were me designing the actual look of the bird, I like the common idea of being superficially similar to a burrowing owl, though with longer legs and smaller wings. Just please, god, don't put ear tufts on it like they did with the snow owl.

burrowing1.thumb.jpg.d534e6540adc14917bf442cf8b7edb28.jpg

2 replies to this server topic

Archived