Survival of the Fittist UI

FuzzyFishies

• 1 month later...

I play on an Xbox One S, so I feel the pain with the UI. Not having a ranged and a melee weapon, each at the ready with the click of one button, puts folk who play on console at a disadvantage. While I think everyone has to access the wheel, pc or console, the joystick is not perfect. I have noticed not only lag in the controller that seems familiar when playing Ark or any game that is so busy, but there are bugs related to the lag apparently as there are times when the weapon selection does not work at all. It would be nice to have different controls...like traditional Ark.

I also have an issue or two of my own with the UI. If having a player follow behind and pick off your entire army of dinos one by one is intended, so be it. I would appreciate a little more warning than the same red text that flashes up constantly the entire game. My vision is poor and the tv is not as crisp as a typical pc monitor. I honestly have to squint really hard to red the blurry red text. Also, I had a terrible time trying to learn to manage my tokens as I had no clue where to look. it turns out that my tv screen size had to be adjusted slightly to reveal the little guy in the top right of the screen. I can see the white numbers of the 360 degree rotation at the top dead center though. While it is interesting to see that someone actually appears to have adjusted those numbers to relate to some magnetic variance away from true north, I am not sure what good having that bearing number easily visible actually is. It sure occupies a valuable piece of real estate, though. At first, I thought that number was my ping rate because the number kept changing in the lobby, lol.

I also think console players have a disadvantage from the start. I don't think it is possible for a last gen console played to get the jump on anyone at the launch as the dive feature seems to lag quite often.  I am not sure if a different control option would help that or not.

Archived