Suggestion

Bogfly_Dossier.png

Name: Strashila

Species: Strashila Incredibilis

Time: Middle-Jurassic

Diet: Piscivorous

Temperament: Territorial

Size: Around the same size as or a bit smaller than a Maewing

Breedable?: Yes (requires submergence in water similar to Beelzebufo.)

WILD

Much like the other ‘bugs’ of the island, Strashila Incredibilis is a mite larger than you’d expect. Similarly unlike their living counterpart whose wings were believed to be deciduous, the Ark's Strashila appear to keep and use theirs. They tend to congregate in swamp rivers, living with—and feeding off of—fish and leeches. Strangely, the little blood-sucking buggers seem to completely ignore them.

As long as you keep your distance, Strashila will leave you alone. Get especially close, and they’ll get rather cranky—not something you’ll want when these fellows can go just about anywhere!

I’ve been told that a bite of fish can earn their affection, just be careful not to get too close!

DOMESTICATED

Once tamed, Strashila’s success in the air, land, and water makes it a very flexible mount.

Water is their specialty; their wings help them dive through the water at incredible speeds.

When a Strashila rider gets into a tricky situation underwater, their mount can simply launch themselves out of the water and fly off! I’ve heard that they’re a lifesaver for those hard-to-get resources in thick swamp water or in underwater caves.

I’ve also heard that they make for good fishing buddies! Not only do they excrete a sweet, sticky substance that attracts some fish, but they’re extremely good at gathering the leech blood that the fishermen around here say works good as bait.

They’re decent air mounts too; those large wings of theirs make gliding through the air a breeze!

Gutsy survivors even use them to hitch rides off of much larger organisms!

BEHAVIOR

Strashila spawn in groups of 3-6 just about anywhere in swamp biomes. They can be found either along the banks of rivers/bodies of water or submerged at the bottoms of lakes and ponds. Aggro range is somewhere in-between a Dilophosaur and a Chalicotherium. If one Strashila is aggroed within a certain range of others, the other Strashila may aggro on the player as well. Bug Spray works to lengthen the time a Survivor can be near a Strashila before setting it off, but will not completely protect from possible aggro.

Strashila will only attack/hunt fish and leeches, and remains passive to most other creatures unless attacked. Aggressive when engaged with.

Being arthropods, wild Megatherium and Sinomacrops will aggro on them.

TAMING
Strashila can be passively tamed by use of Fish Meat, Leech Blood, or Prime Fish Meat. 
Bug Spray is advised for taming as one can easily aggravate one member of the group and set the rest off. However, if one is quick enough it is possible to quickly run up, feed a Strashila, and get outside of aggro-range before the beast is set off. Just be careful you're not running from one and straight into another!

Passive Abilities
-Land/air/sea mount
-Flexible flight maneuverability (Similar controls to Tapejara)
-Cling to walls for Stamina Regen
-Fishing proficiency x2
-Dismount-proof (I.e. Riders cannot be dismounted via the likes of Kaprosuchus or Microraptor.)
-x2 damage against fish
-50% damage resist vs. pesciforms
-Leechproof + protects the rider from leeches as well
-Leech blood proficiency
-Fish meat/leech blood 75% weight reduction
-No oxygen bar 

Unique Abilities

Latching: Strashila are capable of latching onto creatures larger than themselves, although this does drain stamina and cannot be used indefinitely. Attacking in this state will rapidly deplete stamina and should be used with caution. Right-clicking in this state will use a kicking attack that deals more damage, again at the cost of stamina. While not invulnerable in this state, so long as the Strashila is positioned somewhere where the victim cannot attack them back, it can avoid taking damage in a fight it otherwise may have been out-tanked in. On creatures smaller than Strashila, this attack functions much like the raptor's pouncing attack.

Sap Substitution: Strashila will passively generate a Tree Sap substitute that can likewise be used in any recipes/situations normally requiring Tree Sap, at the cost of the subsitute having an eventual expiration date.

Mobile Fishing Spot: Survivors can hover a Strashila over any good fishing location and easily fish from the back of their mount without worry of being ambushed by a Spinosaurus from behind.

Fishing Proficiency x2: While fishing with a tame Strashila nearby, or by fishing from the back of a Strashila, the survivor is more likely to find higher-quality engram blueprints and items than usual. Also encourages fish to bite more often, and be easier to catch.

Fish Damage Resist: 50% Resistance to Damage Dealt by fish (Ex: Piranhas, Dunkleosteus, any Pisciform really.)

Sticky Spit: Spit attack that both blinds + slows the target

If there are any good suggestions for other possible abilities to add here I'd love to see them! Overall I see these critters adding some quality-of-life to living in the swamp biome + potentially a good aquatic explorer. And I'd love to get a good versatile bug mount in-game.. Plus. There have been too many times where I was sitting by a pond fishing only to have a Theriznosaurus saunter up behind me so . A safe fishing spot would be nice x')

Source links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strashilidae   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strashila   http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tGHzOEp3UKA/TQeAk2RakqI/AAAAAAAACSk/tMEaFDLvj04/s1600/GRIMALDI_2005_Strashila_incredibili.jpg

0 replies to this server topic

There have been no replies to this suggestion yet

Archived