Sauropelta - the nimble allrounder - now with dossier!

Naitho

Suggestion

Features:

• versatile and relatively speedy mid-game mount equipped for combat and harvesting ressources alike
  • tailswipe that cripples and bleeds out smaller to medium creatures as well as harvests berries and wood
  • rigid neck spikes can temporarily cripple and slow large creatures, allowing for easy escapes or stalling time for other attackers
  • optional battle-sling saddle - usefull for taming and skirmishes alike, a sling attachment can be added to the neck spikes of sauropelta, which can chuck everything from rocks, bolas, arrows (including tranq arrows) and all kinds of grenades to even harpoons

Dossier: (a full on dossier is currently in the works and will be posted when its finished at a later point in time)

Diet: herbivorous

Temper: situational

Habitat: open grasslands and woodlands

Wild: Sauropelta is the smaller, less bulky cousin of the islands imposing ankylosaurus. Unlike its larger cousin sauropelta can be found browsing the islands grasslands but shuns  the rugged mountainsides its relative seems to be so fond of. Despite its relatively lighter armor, sauropelta still packs a considerable punch. Usually calm and docile until provoked, strikes from its sawblade like tail can cut through flesh and bone alike, making you think twice before picking a fight with a pair of them. I swear, I've even seen one cleave through a tree in the heat of a raptor ambush once. Despite being able to hold itself quite well against small to medium sized creatures, sauropelta prefers to make a speedy escape upon facing larger threats. In order to ensure a safe escape, one of the pair will often charge towards the attacker, plunging its long neck spines into the would-be pursuers legs, effectively crippling them for the time being, before taking off into the same direction of its partner.

Domesticated: A tamed sauropelta makes for a versatile mount and travel-buddy that can safely get you out of most dangerous situations. Its armor and rigid tail can ward off most attackers and the ones that can't be dealt with this way, it can outrun. Apart from being a great defensive tool, sauropeltas tail can gather a plethora of berries and wood. Until recently I considered sauropelta as a mere travel mount, but a chance encounter with a tribe changed my whole view on it. During my stay at a tribe that's mostly kept medium sized herbivores, we became the target of travelling raiders. In the face of their rexes and other large carnivores the situation seemed hopeless, but the clever usage of their sauropelta saved our lives that day. Charging into battle, using the same method wild sauropelta apply to ensure their escape, a few of the villages mounted warriors harassed and crippled the larger attackers. At the same time a bunch of new sauropelta rolled up, the villagers ingeniously having attached launchers to their neck spines, hauling arrows, boulders and everything but the kitchen sink at the attackers from afar, keeping them under fire for long enough to eventually retreat. I'm wondering if the same method could be useful for taming?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauropelta

1 reply to this server topic

Archived