The Fluffy Jumping-Spider Tranq Bola - Maevia Eureka!

Sovira

Suggestion

1527104028_Maeviaeureka.jpg.95fd23a9dbe9241e54bfb42abfa9aad1.jpg

1260650288_AberrationJumps.jpg.51608defb57268c3195731b565180e74.jpg 

[Artwork done by myself.]

🕸️Hello allies of the Ark! My submission here is a jumping spider species that is said to have lived once between 23 and 15 million years ago, and the excitement of that discovery led to its last name, eureka! I genuinely hope to see Maevia eureka find its way to Ark some day, any support for it is infinitely appreciated, please take a moment to toss it a vote if you would like to see it around in Ark!

These are my thoughts on how Maevia eureka could fit into the world we play in, in a way that reflects real life jumping spiders combined with genetic modifications from other spiders, and how they might fit into Ark in a fun and meaningful way that reflects other creatures of Ark and how important each and every one of these creatures is. I felt that, as Maevia is more of a taming companion, this gives us a different way to tame creatures using a non-harmful method! As it is in Aberration, there are many risks you take while engaging with your targets due to the fact that aberration can be quite chaotic so having to be weary of your surroundings at all times is one thing, but the larger the creature, the weaker the bola... You may find yourself having to maneuver around an area and keep your targets attention while allowing for your jumper to gather enough venom to ensnare it once again.

abmaeviachibi.png.dc2953984dbd1387befed3c6b4647296.png

🏞️Habitat

This is a creature that is capable of being added to any map in the game due to its likeliness of living in caves, but also as jumping spiders can be found in so many different environments, there particularly are no limits to where they could be found!

🕷️Ability - Prey Lure

You're out roaming around on your two equus when one of them begins to pick up an irresistible scent coming from a nearby cave wall. Your equus is nibbling on a suspended droplet when you notice the faint glinting coming off the web it's attached to, within an instant a jumper has lunged at your equus covering it with its bola and is quickly wrapping it up in its webbing, but in order to free your companion you need to tear at the webbing, as a few good hits will send that jumper scurrying up the wall to hide!

🕷️Ability - Tranq Bola

The thought is that jumpers could take the droplets they store and work them into their webbing to create venom-coated webs that could be thrown like a bola. The webs would have a tranquilizing effect whenever touched, thus causing their target to build up torpor and eventually go unconscious.

🕷️Ability - Latching

As a jumping spider, they have outstanding agility and the ability to crawl on walls, but at a more rapid pace, maybe even with the cost of stamina drain for balance! An optional thing I had given thought to was the ability to fully latch onto smaller prey in order to accurately cover the target with their readied net.

🕷️Ability - Locking On

This is the single feature that would make this creature so invaluable, and even possibly make it require a very difficult feat for taming it due to that power, as with the spiders extreme accuracy, it could 'lock onto' a target, and the net cast would be immediate, rendering even jumping managarmrs unable to jump, though I do feel that stamina might be a way to balance this out!

🕷️Trait - Scary Face

This spider was designed in thought with evolving to be able to terrify larger than normal predators, making it an incredibly useful tame for bases, keeping your creatures better protected when having to move them around the map, I imagined it could come with an extra ability to raise its back legs with its abdomen to stay in this stance on the ground, or you could enable an option within the radial menu allowing it to find and hang down from a nearby pole, perhaps even a new item for the spiders and flyers alike, akin to a perch?

🕷️Trait/Ability - Dance!

Jumping spiders in the real world have very little differentiation on sizes between male and female. The idea was that the males would be the ones that allow you to get close enough to tame them, while females will try to kill you if you do this, and when you find a male companion, he has the ability to dance when you find a female, you can engage in this dance, maybe a left/right/up/down type of button combination you have to get right in order for her to find your boy worthy of her prescence, and in the meantime you can shower her with presents of food until she wants your boy to dance for her again, gradually gaining her trust. When a movement is not corrected quickly enough, she would become hostile and attack, and you may have to wait for her to cool off before you can attempt this ritual again!

🕯️Dossier!🕯️

If there's one thing I can say about Maevia eureka, you do not want to be caught in its sights! I once witnessed a jumper locking onto its prey with the most incredible accuracy, lunging at it with lightning speed and within the blink of an eye, its prey was being saved as a snack for later.

They seem to have the genes of a few other spiders like that of the ogre spider, as it can cast a gathering of its webbing along with a little dab of the venom droplet it keeps stored on its head, working that into its web to create paralytic bolas that seem to render its prey unconscious. I have reason to believe the hairs that grow on its back legs came from the peacock spider, but due to its need for protection, it also uses these 'feathers' as a menacing face that can scare off large predators, I've seen some tribes set up posts that they can hang from around the fronts of their bases.

I will say one thing is for certain, though they are nearly the size of a dire bear, they are quite the cuties, especially for being a spider, there is a certain intelligence you can see when you look into their eyes, I just can't place it, but they truly make remarkable companions with the ability to rapidly scale walls, caves, cliffsides and such. By no means are they a beast of burden, however they make up for this with their abilities to constrict or assassinate their targets. Maevia eureka can take down much larger prey with its torpor inducing bola, the net cast, and this makes them remarkable allies for taming other creatures. Though I haven't been able to get close enough to befriend one of the females, the males don't seem to mind me being in a remote vicinity with them as much.

1840549890_MaeviaProfile.jpg.e4f7cb0baf7757e997a2c867dd343593.jpg

41 replies to this server topic

5 hours ago, missyvissie said:

I keep coming back to this submission! 💗 I had a question, what would the colour variations be naturally? More camouflage or more vibrant (Aside from the feet feathers)

I'm thinking the male since they dance for the females, and the females need to protect their eggs, at least I think this would be it?

2 hours ago, Tyypo said:

wanted to throw a suggestion here for fall damage, these things crawl on the wall right? so if they fell from like, the ceiling that may cause them to take an insane amount of damage or even kill them without it

More than fair, I think this would be great, and maybe even with the idea that they can use the hairs on their legs to help dampen the fall!

7 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

I'd LOVE to see this!  I was thinking that a Jumping Spider would be awesome.  Glad someon suggested it.  Since Jumping Spiders attach a silk thread to their launch point before jumping, these guys could make their own ziplines, too!  (Not to mention, I love the idea of a giant rideable spider in general, but the Araneos aren't that good...)

Calling all Spider Riders!

The Araneos as mounts are quite sad right now, I've only enjoyed them through KBD mod. Just the thought of how fun it would be taking a jumper into aberration... ;) 

Really great idea.

I want to suggest some ideas for this creature.

(This ideas are not part of the creature submission, just personal though.)

The male can be smaller, fast, shoulder pet, with a torpor bite. The female will be bigger, slow, rideable, with the cast net/lock on/scary abilities. In this idea, the female can't add torpor, only the male.

I'd LOVE to see this!  I was thinking that a Jumping Spider would be awesome.  Glad someon suggested it.  Since Jumping Spiders attach a silk thread to their launch point before jumping, these guys could make their own ziplines, too!  (Not to mention, I love the idea of a giant rideable spider in general, but the Araneos aren't that good...)

Calling all Spider Riders!

1 hour ago, FentScifer7 said:

Really great idea.

I want to suggest some ideas for this creature.

(This ideas are not part of the creature submission, just personal though.)

The male can be smaller, fast, shoulder pet, with a torpor bite. The female will be bigger, slow, rideable, with the cast net/lock on/scary abilities. In this idea, the female can't add torpor, only the male.

This could work! I honestly love the idea of a jumping spider shoulder pet as well :D

I think it would be cool if this came with a sort of structure you can please that looks like a big spider web. With this spider web you can place it around and the tamed spider can sleep and walk on it plus lay eggs on it and if placed around the island it can catch things the size of a dire bear down to the size of a compy!!!!

3 hours ago, OdinQC said:

hello I really like the idea honesly for me who made a vote for a giant racoon I would be happy to see this spider to replace my idea  but I have one little question before voting for this spider. Will it be strong enough to beat the bosses? Because I would like do kill the bosses with something else than rex, spino and allosaur so I would love to use spiders.

Thank you! I honestly do believe so, especially since the idea is that the male would be the killers where the females would be more focused for taming and rendering things unconcious, I think that would ultimately make them absolutely brutal for boss killing since, if these ever did make it, maybe there would be deadly poison that the males could envenomate their target with, though we can't know for sure what wildcard has in store for any of the creatures that do happen to make it! :) Hopefully that answers your question!

Archived