Laophis, the gliding viper

Ficho

Suggestion

Irl laophis is an extinct genus of large viper, it existed in Greece during the pliocene period. They got to roughly 3-4m in length and 26kg in weight.

Laophis_crotaloides_by_hodarinundu-d579h7z.jpg.41c739f40eca1a69be7c6643bf67dc30.jpg

For in game purposes it would defenetly have to be made much larger (perhaps slightly larger then the current titanoboa) and instead of being spesifically a viper, i imagane it as more of a hybrid between many diffrent species of venomous snakes.

And that is the main gimmick for this creature, pretty much taking most of all the cool things modern snakes do (exept what constrictors do) and combining them into a single highly mobile, mid tier rideable creature.

Dossier:

"Wild

Boasting many features found in all kinds of snakes, laophis is problably one of the most desirable creatures on the island. It spends most of it's time hiding at the base of the massive redwood trees, waiting for it's preffered prey to walk by. Once it does laophis will launch it's head towards it and deliver a bite full of venom. Suprisingly, instead of using the rattle at the end of it's tail as a warning, it actualy seems to lure certain creatures closer, it instead uses it's cobra like frill to intimidate threats.

Domesticated

Perhaps the snakes most suprising feature is it's ability to climb, leap and most shocking of all, glide. A behavior rarley observed in wild laophis, but utilised to it's full potential by survivors. Once on a high perch laophis can launch itself in a certain direction and almost identical to modern flying snakes, it can propel itself a great distance, all whilst carrying a survivor on it's back"

The ability to climb and jump would tie in extremly well with gliding. I can imagane laophis climbing up redwood trees and vertical surfaces perhaps similar to a megalania, while also having a regular and a charged (mainly vertical) jump (for a refrence imagane it jumping as sort of a goofy snake spring coil). 

The gliding ability is based on flying snakes, in game imagane the snake almost like a thyla pouncing of a tree and then massivly extending the distance travelled by slithering in the air, with the ability to turn mid air to some extent.

images.jpeg.485d8fa2e8c6eb95ff61d21f0f624b2a.jpeg

Other abilitys would include venom, in the form of both a ranged spit and a heavy bite attack (deals dmg based on the snake's melee, up to a certain %), heat vision similar to a snow owl, as well as a rattling lure and an intimidation ability using the frill.

2 replies to this server topic

Oh dang I actually love this! It's unique in the fact that it doesn't fit the other gliding builds in the game, if it was any other Gliding animal it would honestly work less  so I'm glad you based Laophis on a Gliding snake (it's one of my favorite prehistoric snakes too) You made it differentiate than the Titanoboa, TLC'd versions of tames aren't something I don't really like all too much in my opinion while it's kinda hard to make a creature that similar build not a TLC you specialized more into the ability focus rather than comparing it to Titanoboa which is awesome!. The intimidation aspect is nice from a design perspective I don't think it needs both the Rattle and the frill but designs in are over the top and the sweet ass frilled neck lizard frills plus the Rattle sounds rad!, The venom is great no changes on that part with all this combined it's actually decently balanced and a solid creature for PvP too! Rattlesnakes have some thermal vision (correct me if I'm wrong) but I love it when submissions take inspiration from living animals, if anything I'd add maybe some more info on it's wild nature? Behavior towards other creatures and all that it just makes more immersed in reading it ig don't have to though.

Archived