Antarctotrechus Balli, The Bastion beetle

Common name: Bastion
Species: antarctotrechus Balli
Diet: omnivore
temperament: neutral

Please Note! All credit for this creature idea goes to survivorSantiago99 who posted it on the fjordur submission. Though I posted the Desmodus bat... this bastion beetle may have been my favorite creature and I think it deserves all the attention. He put a ton of work into it. 

bastion_beetle_11_by_ztype198_demnfz0-350t.jpg.8a5d48f390f29db2656a2e74d3717cfd.jpg

* Wild:

A friend of mine used to tell me, when you feel the sky start to vibrate and a deafening fluttering sound invades the area you are in, watch out! That a bastion beetle is near, although it is known that they are of neutral temperament, this coleopteran is to be respected, it is better not to disturb them if you do not want to end up crushed by their horns and be like plasticine, this creature can be found in forests, swamps and prairies according to the map, the beetles will be flying low in these places, Adults can’t be domesticated only the babys, if you search well in rotten logs you can find their larvae, their domestication will be passive, (you will find them in different sizes as the kairuku) but beware that in their larval stage they secrete a substance that attracts ants using them as their guardians, and not only that, if there is a stronghold of adults nearby they will not hesitate to attack you. For insects, these coleopterans come with a protective instinct towards their young. If it manages to evade the adults, immediately isolate the larva you want and offer it tree sap, funca wood, cactus sap, honey or vegetable cake, these last 2 are the best options for better taming.

bastion_beetle_3_by_ztype198_demnjao-350t.jpg.b5f427b4c577ecee6eba55af617a026b.jpg

•    Tamed:
once it is yours, it will eat only wood, funca wood, cactus sap, tree sap, vegetable cake, also it will be the first baby creature you can put on your shoulder immediately (only temporary because its growth will be slow).
•    shoulder larvae skills:
-    offer it organic polymer and it will be an insect repellent that will help you in caves and tame insects.
-    the hatchlings give off a deep smell to the human nose, this will help you not to fall asleep if you have torpor.
-    the larva's acute senses will help you to find scout notes or runes, remember to give it its caress if you wish.
the larva of the bastion beetle will have a state of joy, this will help the larva to grow faster to reach the pupa stage, to keep it happy it must receive caresses for a certain time, otherwise its capacities will be annulled and it will not have a benefit of fast growth.

bastion_beetle_14__2_by_ztype198_dems6fn-350t.jpg.738634868c663f04f0cba8ad32453726.jpg

When it reaches its pupal stage, it will grow excessively where it needs a lot of attention and ample space because at this stage it will start to grow a lot and you will see sexual dimorphism. Also, I tell you mate, the bastion will have a long maturation time to become an adult, almost matching the growth like the large mount, what can I tell you? metamorphosis is not easy at all!

bastion_beetle_17__2_by_ztype198_den19k8-350t.jpg.318c4e19baddd3d5ff4565a1b8ab3b50.jpg

*Tamed:

When it finally becomes a beetle, it will be able to feed on fruit and meat, as well as use it without a saddle.
On land it will be somewhat slow but with one of the best weight reduction, water is its worst enemy, have you seen a non-aquatic beetle in the water? very clumsy and its wings get wet being impossible to fly, but in the air, it will be one of the most maneuverable flyers because like the griffin it can fly backwards but in a better way, albeit slower. Wherever you want it to stay flying your bastion, that's where it will stay.

bastion_beetle_18_by_ztype198_den19l9-350t.jpg.a51ece3a318ce8113f13859d5da6230c.jpg

General abilities: 

- Ground flapping: on the ground it will fling all small enemies around it by spreading and flapping its wings like the wyvern.
- Aerial Grab: while flying he can grab medium and medium-large creatures (he is a large scale beetle, of course he can carry large dinosaurs).
- Walk like a god: Both can climb and cling to any kind of surface.

-Chemical spit: When threatened the Bastion can release a volatile acidic compound on those who threaten it!

PASSIVES:

* Passive:
- 75% weight reduction.
- It will keep the same speed, even if it is at the weight limit.
- Ballistic damage reduction 25% (except tek).
- Radiation resistance.
* Weaknesses:
- extra fire damage 30%.
- vulnerable to genesis net 2
- extra damage to tek turrets 20%

Male's abilities: 

bastion_beetle_5_by_ztype198_demnjat-350t.jpg.9218f5c03d7141586f2baabca2d9d678.jpg

- Brutal terrestrial strength: he will be able to charge and throw enemies with his powerful chitin horn (if he keeps hold of the victim he will do high progressive damage until he kills him). 

- Canelo blows: ramming with his horn will slightly push enemies like the diplodocus, but with additional damage.

battle_bettle_13__2_by_ztype198_dems6hi-350t.jpg.5c3bc143b0b20bc9e855317786a07d0b.jpg

Male duel: between males there will be a fighting system with his horns, the stronger one will defeat the other by ramming or charging him (perfect for tournaments).
* Male passive:
- Pursuit: if there is another non-allied flyer near the bastion he will have 15% more speed and endurance.
- Last breath: when he is at a quarter of life he releases pheromones that cover him completely, giving him for a short period of time a 90% reduction in damage received that will cloud the enemy's vision.

the bastion is a beetle that can carry more than 100 times its own weight, although the female is stronger than the male.

Abilities of the female: 

bastion_beetle_6_by_ztype198_demnjax-350t.jpg.f8184af7d83c386c04e3f7c7e62482bf.jpg

.* Female abilities:
- strong bite: with its powerful take small to medium-sized creatures, but with a considerable low range unlike the male.
- architect: with her jaws she will be able to take any structure from your base to move them to another place (like the exo mek).
* Female passives:
- Tough as steel: when the female is at half health she will have an extra 50% damage resistance.
- Flee: when directly attacked she releases pharamones that slow the enemy very briefly (3 seconds per attack)

•    Bastion of war:
Your mount will be made at the manufacturer, your bastion will become a war machine:
- What does the mount offer in general?
- light thrusters: using gasoline as fuel, you will have a decent enough speed to move on the map.
- flashlights: flashlights on your mount perfect for night or go aberration.
- safe rider: the cockpit is perfect for not dismounting.
- ejector seat: only for the driver, when the bastion dies the pilot is ejected from the mount (I hope you have a parachute).
- Extra seat: extra seat with the option to equip the genesis 2 minigun.
- The mounts will grant a new weapon ability for the male and female.

•    Males:
Males on their mount will have a pair of machine guns modified for their size.
- They will use advanced ammunition.
- at structure levels, it can damage metal structures
- They will overheat
- Will have progressive damage.
Special ability:
No overheating: Both machine guns will fire non-stop leaving red hot granting for a brief time x3 in damage.

bastion_beetle_10___copia_by_ztype198_demnj0d-350t.jpg.bc3dc77b55d786cd8df4948cf82d4706.jpg

Female: 

The female, not having her horn, on her mount will change completely and you will see a 90mm cannon.

- She will use only cannon balls or rocket ammunition (both ammunitions have different damage).

- at structure levels, it can damage tek structures.

- It will have reloading times

- These can be intercepted by turrets.

- You will only be able to use the cannon if the beetle is perched on a surface and not in the air. 

Special ability:

Artillery attack: for a short period of time the cadence of the cannon changes giving the opportunity to fire consecutive shots, but with less damage.

bastion_beetle_12__2_by_ztype198_dems6eb-350t.jpg.34182b1d53c1f9b9a0f4bb16d0a49ca4.jpg

Both will have a mount with an extra seat for another passenger with a minigun that you can attach (the new genesis 2 weapon) for the extra passenger.

There has also been mention of high tier tribes creating advanced tek saddles with special abilities.

•    New item!
the bastion exoskeleton is one of the hardest in the ark, the bastion chitin is unique with a hardness difficult to cut and above all to obtain because you have to treat it with patience, the prime chitin that the bastion will offer you to improve your armor, but be careful, the chances of getting the main chitin from the bastion bodies are very low.

engrama_bastion_suit_by_ztype198_deuq70r-pre.thumb.jpg.53a132cccaaa0c1609224c7f2d9a8cfe.jpg

I bring you the new upgrade only for the riot armor, equip the armor with the powerful prime chitin to become a giant of what i call, the bastion armor.
the user will be offered:
- ballistic damage resistance +40%:
- durability: + 40%
- melee damage resistance +40%.
- armor penetration - 30%
disadvantages:
- speed -40%
- weight +15%.
- heat stroke +10%.
- stamina expenditure if you run: +30%.
- bastion armor can be repaired.
- total blocking of all accessories (wings, gas mask, etc.).

Hold on as the last bastion of your very large base! protect yourself from wildlife! enter caves forgetting about damage, invade bases like in shooters! use bastion armor!

•    utilities: pvp/pve:
-    tired of using rex for the boss? Don't think twice and form a squad of bastions to take out the boss.
-    you haven't unlocked the exomek? with the female's architect skill you can forget about this problem and move the structures you want in your base!

bastion_beetle_22__2_by_ztype198_denc4ju-350t.jpg.c6a4cab32b4f1f03ec981a7f79965bf8.jpg

-    forget about using cannons to tame golems or tek weapons for the astrocetus, use the female bastion and forget about problems.

bastion_beetle_23_by_ztype198_denc4f5-350t.jpg.175c8be6858ec088b3912fc347413c2f.jpg

use a new way to fly on the ark, use the bastion!

Santiago's inspiration:

honestly ark needs a fast flyer that is insect and not a cute lymantria lol. my main inspirations were helicopters, i feel it could change the meta of the game for the better and give another fresh air to our ark for its latest updates, for the male design i was inspired by tempest, the flying boss creature from gears 3 and the 2 turret mount based on the karn creature design from gears judgment.
for the female design I was inspired by the clone wars walkers, the AT-TE and the soviet IS-2 heavy tanks.
having something like this in ark seemed like a dream, but we are one step away from making it a reality.

Source link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctotrechus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TRNoble7 said:

This and the Rhyniognatha of last year were the best. That one lost to a pig, a cow, and a bat although the bat is pretty sick. This year the invertebrates, which are the least respected type of Dino, are losing to a glorified ravager and a mf goat what’s up with this community.

Agreed. Bison and goat are pretty pve.. not that it's a bad thing but.. I feel balance between both pve and pvp are important

34 minutes ago, Beronardo said:

I love the idea and the concept but not accurate by a bit to the real specimen like... only his wings were discovered and their only 1 millimeter so pretty small but i'd love to see a tank beetle!

None of arks creature are anywhere near accurate. Gotta fit it into niches and roles within the game. Remember all arks creatures in cannon are different from there actual species. When I posted the desmodus bat last time it wasn't the actual size it was in real life either. But man it's awesome.

A giant beetle would be awesome! I really hope that this gets more attention!

Here are some more ideas that I have for it:

I like the idea of them being able to be varied sizes like the Kairuku, as mentioned in the original post. If they had varied sizes, the different sizes could have different uses/abilities.

For the small ones, as larva, I could see survivors being able to attach a grenade/C4 to them and being able to chuck them to make their explosives able to bounce or go further. That might be a bit unethical, but it would be funny... When they become mature beetles, you could attach bombs to them (like the larva) and then send them at enemies or enemy bases as a sort of homing missile.

For the medium sized ones, they probably wouldn't grow up to be rideable, since for the real prehistoric creature that this suggestion was based on, it was pretty small, so I imagine that this creature would also be pretty small (still much bigger than real life since this is Ark, of course). A medium sized one would probably be about the size of a direwolf or a bit smaller. Maybe you'd be able to put a saddle of sorts on them, like Hyeanodons, but this saddle would just be a turret. That'd make them a mobile turret, which I don't think that we have anything quite like that in Ark...

For the big ones, I imagine finding larva of them would be pretty rare, since they'd be very vulnerable, making them a prime snack for predators. That means finding a big one would be very exciting. When the big ones grow up, they'd probably be a little smaller than a Trike. These are the ones that you'd be able to ride.

Since having to deal with random size and random level would be quite annoying, I suggest that their size is tied to their base level, so the lower level ones would be smaller, the high level ones being biggest, etc. There would probably still be a maximum size though so that they don't get super big from mutations and stuff.

13 minutes ago, Relarist said:

This is a dinosaur game. Please try Grounded if you’re obsessed with insects.

Most creatures in ARK aren't even dinosaurs though. Besides the DLC maps' complete fantasy creatures such as the Rock Drake, Wyverns, etc., there are a ton of other prehistoric creatures that aren't dinosaurs. For example, the Mammoth, Andrewsarchus, Castoroides, Desmodus, Pelagornis, etc. are all not dinosaurs. They're still prehistoric creatures, which is what this vote is for.

Many other popular creatures in this vote, such as the Gorgonopsid, Giant Bison, and Myotragus are not dinosaurs. But they're still prehistoric creatures.
Prehistoric bugs are already in this game, such as the Dung Beetle and the Arthropleura, so I don't see why we can't have another one if that's what the community decides on.

LETS GO GUYS!!! this is the best idea I've seen by far! I raptoring love the interactive growth process of this beetle, carrying it on your shoulder as it grows, the pupation phase and the usefulness of each genus is just incredible! not to mention the armor upgrade that no one uses even though it is good but very expensive to make.

I NEED IT IN ARK!!! COME ON ASK YOUR FRIENDS TO VOTE FOR THIS GREAT IDEA!

Archived