Edaphosaurus mimos - cave companion and bane of Purlovia

SmileShape

Suggestion

ARK has many prehistoric creatures, but I think we could use some more that are not necessarily more large theropods or creatures that are better counterparts. We have many dinosaurs, other reptiles, mammals, some insects, fish, even a few birds, but I think synapsids are the group that's being slept on. That's why I thought they could use a member that could really prove useful in later parts of the game or maybe even PVP.

Overview
Edaphosaurus mimos would be a small creature, but since in ARK we don't really care about scientific sizes, I would put it somewhere between Phiomia and Ovis in these terms. This cousin of Dimetrodon, would also posses ability to mess with temperature, a bit differently, but more about that later.

It would be an omnivore, that prefers honey over anything with taming method similar to that of a Gacha, where you just throw its taming food on the ground and wait for it to eat it. Domesticated specimens would also heal significantly more health after eating honey from their inventory, much like Rock Drakes do with Nameless venom.

Since its too small and has the sail on its back, traditional saddle won't work, but maybe its sail could be strong enough to support two seats on the sides of Edaphosaurus.

Edaphosaurus lives in swamps just like its cousin and just like its relative its not looking for trouble there. You'd normally find one or two strolling around despite all the crocs, snakes and Baryonyxes. They aren't aggressive nor territorial, but will defend themselves while attacked.

Skills and abilities

Edaphosaurus can manipulate temperature around it with its sail to create either extreme cold or heat.

When set to specific one, they can send out an impulse of said temperature with cold slowing enemies, and heat setting them on fire. This can also be very useful in PVP as it also affects enemy players and giving them the effect of hypo/hyperthermia.

Its worth noting that the impulses also have some other advantages to them. Flyers affected by cold impulse will be grounded for short time. That debuff reoccurs as long as the creature is in range of Edaphosaurus attacks. Fire impulse on the other hand, deals increased damage to insects. This abilities make Edaphosaurus great for caving since it can both ground bats with cold and make quick work of insects with heat. Both of these impulses can also make Purlovias jump out of the ground, they can't, however, throw off Edaphos rider for some time, while affected by this ability.

Unlike Dimetrodon, this creature mastered the ability to control temperature of its own body to the extent where it can mask its presence from hostile creatures.

In terms of stats it would have good weight and decent health for a creature of this size. It wouldn't be too fast (on par with Parasaur maybe), but running wouldn't consume stamina, just like on Iguanodon. Its would be a decent swimmer as well, with no oxygen stat, but its temperature impulses don't work underwater.

Be wary that unlike its cousin, Edapho isn't good for hatching eggs. At least not all of them. Since it can cause either extreme heat or cold, it might see some use in hatching Wvyern, Rock Drake or Magmasaurus eggs, but all the others probably won't be able to withstand such crazy temperature.

Cosmetics

On cosmetic side, I think it would be nice to see some sexual dimorphism, with males having bigger sails, and sail patterns differing between genders. 

If by any chance we could get some different variants of this creature, I could definitely see an aberrant one in Bioluminescent/Blue Chamber of Aberration, or an X variant in the Bog biome on Genesis. Maybe we could go as far as an R variant in Rockwells Corrupted Gardens on Genesis part 2...

Conclusion

If you liked my idea for this creature, please leave an upvote and if you have any other ideas of how to improve this critter, feel free to comment. I'd really like to know what other people think of how Edaphosaurus could be implemented in the game. Thanks for your time survivor!

edapho.webp

edapho.jpg

0 replies to this server topic

There have been no replies to this suggestion yet

Archived