TheIronWolf45

Suggestion

Name: Fox

Species: Vulpes quizhudingi

Time: Pliocene

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Skittish to Curious

Wild: Found around their Direwolf cousins, Vulpes quizhudingi is a more skittish yet curious vulpine, having survived the harshest of winters and arctic biomes. Notoriously little thieves as they steal food from unsuspecting survivors, and can make off with incomparable speed. They are extremely sought for pelt, as they can grow their fur to become warmer, but shed their fur in warmer climates.

Taming: If a fox gets curious enough to walk up to a survivor, they can take advantage of the moment and feed it, though it will take off to eat before coming back for more. Repeating this process makes the fox more comfortable to be around the survivor to be petted. 

Domesticated: With a fox, their fluffy coats are heavily insulated and can act like a shoulder "scarf", helping struggle through the absolute zero temperatures of many arctic biomes. If fed special kibble or allowed to kill smaller animals, the fox may locate a digging spot and excavate whatever was left behind, such as weapons and armor. If your fox becomes too hot in warmer environments, you can use scissors to cut their fur down to help maintain their happiness. They are also very good at repelling smaller critters like the Microraptor and even the thieving seagulls. Like their Direwolf cousins, the Vulpes can sniff the area 

Baby It's Cold Outside! How the Arctic Fox Survives Frigid Temps |  HowStuffWorks

ARK Meta:

Shoulder Insulation: In especially colder environments, the Arctic fox can keep survivors warm, depending how much its fur has grown back from a shedding. If you and your fox get too hot, be sure to cut their fur with scissors so you can still take it with you.

Loot Digger: Similar to the ARK-aeology event with the fossil dig spots, when you feed foxes eggs, the fox can track random dig spots that occur around the world, eventually excavating a dog spot for the survivors to take whatever items was dug up. In PVP, the fox can really help you find loot crates buried in the ground, if chances are they are inaccessible due to many tribes taking them over, not solely relying on one specific position, making loot tracking wherever you'd like. Depending on the egg you feed the fox, from basic to large eggs, will range in whatever items your fox will dig up in quality, basic eggs to common items, large eggs to become a random chance to be an ascendant loot dig.

Stealth Pouncer/Anti-Thief: Like its modern counterpart, the Vulpes can pounce on smaller creatures such as dodos, glowpets and even the Microraptor. The fox can also pounce at incoming thieving dinosaurs like the Pegomastax and Ichthyornis when you least expect it, or even stop bugs who dare come too close.

Scent Tracker/Silent Alarm: Like their Direwolf cousins, they can sniff the area around for potential threats and alert the players if a large predator or another survivor is nearby. (suggestion by PyroAnimus)

arctic fox hunting in snow - Google Search | Fuchs, Tiere, WerwolfAnnouncing: ARKaeology Event! - ARK News - ARK - Official Community Forums

(OPTIONAL)

Biome variants:

Red Fox - Redwood forests, grasslands, highlands

8 Surprising Facts About the Red Fox

Fennec Fox - Desert, arid regions

Fennec fox - Wikipedia

22 replies to this server topic

Edit: I looked through the submissions before I made this and even searched the name, I didn't see this submission so I made one and it got moved here. 10 hrs of drawing down the drain 😭

This incredibly fluffy ancestor of modern Arctic Foxes has the ability to detect nearby players and tames (both allied and enemy) with its sensitive hearing.
Rather than an alert like the parasaur, the Snow Fox can silently log a players name and/or tribe name to your tribe log, so you can see who was scouting/snooping around your base (with an optional audio alert or bark).

When bred,  it takes a long time for the baby to grow. Juvenile and adolescent foxes can be used as shoulder pets, and although they aren't as skilled as adults, youngsters on a players shoulder bark when enemy players are nearby (however do not log it). Their fur can keep you warm in cold climates, but will cause you to quickly get heatstroke in warmer temperatures. While on a players shoulder, they eat from either their own inventory or the players (own inventory is prioritised to avoid unwanted snacking)

Passive tame: Wild Snow Foxes will flee from players that approch while walking, running, or crouching. Approach while proned. Match the Snow Fox movements to show you aren't a threat (will run away and reset taming if failed) e.g 'sit' (crouch), 'down' (prone), 'stand' (stand from crouch/prone), 'jump' (this one is obvious)

snow_fox_dossier_by_pyroanimus_dfmvlqy-f

Dossier Text:

Common Name: Snow Fox
Species: Vulpes qiuzhudingi
Temperament: Skittish

Wild-    Vulpes Qiuzhudingi is a timid animal, preffering to run away when confronted by larger creatures like humans  (however they will attack if cornered or harmed). An exception to this is that these Snow Foxes can often be found following packs of Direwolves, using them as protection and feeding on leftover carcasses. Solitary Foxes hunt small mammals, birds and dinosaurs as well as some larger insects.

Domesticated-    With incredibly good hearing, tame Snow Fox are able to detect and identify both potential intruders and allies. They can audibly warn enemy survivors to stay away, but are also capable of stealthily alerting their owners without sound.

Being mostly a ball of fur, juvenile and adolescent foxes are light enough for a survivor’s shoulder, to keep them warm in cold climates. Although not as skilled at identifying enemies as their parents, they are still able to warn their master that other survivors are nearby.

Potential colour regions?:
snow_fox_colour_variants_by_pyroanimus_d

(Yes, we have the Ferox, thats not a fox, it's completely different :P )

Species reference links:

https://dinopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Vulpes_qiuzhudingi

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/140610-animals-foxes-tibet-new-species-fossils-science

https://www.livescience.com/46268-arctic-fox-ancestor-tibet.html

3 minutes ago, TheIronWolf45 said:

I tried to make sure it was a balance between PVE and PVP, but I know for sure the big boi dinosaurs are gonna steal the spotlight, since I already voted for the Bison and Myotragus

How do you vote, I'm new at this voting thing, I love shoulder pets though hope this one gets a chance.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:43 PM, TheIronWolf45 said:

Name: Fox

Species: Vulpes quizhudingi

Temperament: Skittish to Curious

Wild: Unlike their direwolf cousins, Vulpes quizhudingi is a more skittish yet curious vulpine, having survived the harshest of winters and arctic biomes. Notoriously little thieves as they steal food from unsuspecting survivors, and can make off with incomparable speed. They are extremely sought for pelt, as they can grow their fur to become warmer, but shed their fur in warmer climates.

Taming: If a fox gets curious enough to walk up to a survivor, they can take advantage of the moment and feed it, though it will take off to eat before coming back for more. Repeating this process makes the fox more comfortable to be around the survivor to be petted. 

Domesticated: With a fox, their fluffy coats are heavily insulated and can act like a shoulder "scarf", helping struggle through the absolute zero temperatures of many arctic biomes. If fed special kibble or allowed to kill smaller animals, the fox may locate a digging spot and excavate whatever was left behind, such as weapons and armor. If your fox becomes too hot in warmer environments, you can use scissors to cut their fur down to help maintain their happiness. They are also very good at repelling smaller critters like the Microraptor and even the thieving seagulls.

Baby It's Cold Outside! How the Arctic Fox Survives Frigid Temps |  HowStuffWorks

ARK Meta:

Shoulder Insulation: In especially colder environments, the Arctic fox can keep survivors warm, depending how much its fur has grown back from a shedding. If you and your fox get too hot, be sure to cut their fur with scissors so you can still take it with you.

Loot Digger: Similar to the ARK-aeology event with the fossil dig spots, when you feed foxes eggs, the fox can track random dig spots that occur around the world, eventually excavating a dog spot for the survivors to take whatever items was dug up. In PVP, the fox can really help you find loot crates buried in the ground, if chances are they are inaccessible due to many tribes taking them over, not solely relying on one specific position, making loot tracking wherever you'd like. Depending on the egg you feed the fox, from basic to large eggs, will range in whatever items your fox will dig up in quality, basic eggs to common items, large eggs to become a random chance to be an ascendant loot dig.

Stealth Pouncer/Anti-Thief: Like its modern counterpart, the Vulpes can pounce on smaller creatures such as dodos, glowpets and even the Microraptor. The fox can also pounce at incoming thieving dinosaurs like the Pegomastax and Ichthyornis when you least expect it, or even stop bugs who dare come too close.

arctic fox hunting in snow - Google Search | Fuchs, Tiere, WerwolfAnnouncing: ARKaeology Event! - ARK News - ARK - Official Community Forums

(OPTIONAL)

Biome variants:

Red Fox - Redwood forests, grasslands, highlands

8 Surprising Facts About the Red Fox

Fennec Fox - Desert, arid regions

If this comes to the game, please WC, Aberrant Fox.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:29 AM, PyroAnimus said:

Edit: I looked through the submissions before I made this and even searched the name, I didn't see this submission so I made one and it got moved here. 10 hrs of drawing down the drain 😭

This incredibly fluffy ancestor of modern Arctic Foxes has the ability to detect nearby players and tames (both allied and enemy) with its sensitive hearing.
Rather than an alert like the parasaur, the Snow Fox can silently log a players name and/or tribe name to your tribe log, so you can see who was scouting/snooping around your base (with an optional audio alert or bark).

When bred,  it takes a long time for the baby to grow. Juvenile and adolescent foxes can be used as shoulder pets, and although they aren't as skilled as adults, youngsters on a players shoulder bark when enemy players are nearby (however do not log it). Their fur can keep you warm in cold climates, but will cause you to quickly get heatstroke in warmer temperatures. While on a players shoulder, they eat from either their own inventory or the players (own inventory is prioritised to avoid unwanted snacking)

Passive tame: Wild Snow Foxes will flee from players that approch while walking, running, or crouching. Approach while proned. Match the Snow Fox movements to show you aren't a threat (will run away and reset taming if failed) e.g 'sit' (crouch), 'down' (prone), 'stand' (stand from crouch/prone), 'jump' (this one is obvious)

snow_fox_dossier_by_pyroanimus_dfmvlqy-f

Dossier Text:

Common Name: Snow Fox
Species: Vulpes qiuzhudingi
Temperament: Skittish

Wild-    Vulpes Qiuzhudingi is a timid animal, preffering to run away when confronted by larger creatures like humans  (however they will attack if cornered or harmed). An exception to this is that these Snow Foxes can often be found following packs of Direwolves, using them as protection and feeding on leftover carcasses. Solitary Foxes hunt small mammals, birds and dinosaurs as well as some larger insects.

Domesticated-    With incredibly good hearing, tame Snow Fox are able to detect and identify both potential intruders and allies. They can audibly warn enemy survivors to stay away, but are also capable of stealthily alerting their owners without sound.

Being mostly a ball of fur, juvenile and adolescent foxes are light enough for a survivor’s shoulder, to keep them warm in cold climates. Although not as skilled at identifying enemies as their parents, they are still able to warn their master that other survivors are nearby.

Potential colour regions?:
snow_fox_colour_variants_by_pyroanimus_d

(Yes, we have the Ferox, thats not a fox, it's completely different :P )

Species reference links:

https://dinopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Vulpes_qiuzhudingi

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/140610-animals-foxes-tibet-new-species-fossils-science

https://www.livescience.com/46268-arctic-fox-ancestor-tibet.html

Im so sorry, I been busy with work to come and find this! I really like the dossier art!

My opinion on it, is that it can definitely use an edit on the dossier listing at least a mixture of my suggestions and what you offer! I mostly been trying to find a common ground for having the Arctic fox to be both a PVP and PVE creature, though your suggestions, Im gonna add some of them for sure.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:20 PM, Sev07 said:

I also have a version of this that would be nice a shoulder pet is nice and all but personally i think having it ridable would be better, ark doesn't look to be 100% accurate so i think it could work, my idea is as follows The artic fox would be a little bit smaller then the direwolf and rideable they will travel in packs up to 3-4 and have serrated teeth that cause bleeding they also keep you warm when near or riding them, Left click is bite/scratch and right click wold be like a fox chirp/scream that can make predators somewhat uneasy tapping space makes them jump and holding it can make them jump higher C will make them do a sneak to not be noticed by prey also breeding them will make them have stronger bonds with the tamer and if you hold E on them while not riding they can curl into a ball and sleep or sit, "possible ability" tap X to gain small xp boost or movement speed boost, i think having this would be nice because it would be a good rival to direwolf, and we do not have ANY fox creatures in ark at all the riding ability adds more uses, also another possible ability could be night vision when hitting alt or ctrl.  taming could be basic knockout or petting them or passive taming with food.

Please make it rideable. Maybe significantly smaller than the dire wolf but faster.  Then this would even be a good tame for Sotf

The Fox is good, very cute, loveable, and fuzzy I'd say my main criticism though is it's ability department it's lacking it feels like a little one up from the otter shoulder pet, not much you can do with a shoulder pet but I'm sure you can come up with something creative maybe it can blend in with the snow and pounce on unsuspecting players! Or due to it's intelligence it can trample larger tames with stuff like sticks!

I also have a version of this that would be nice a shoulder pet is nice and all but personally i think having it ridable would be better, ark doesn't look to be 100% accurate so i think it could work, my idea is as follows The artic fox would be a little bit smaller then the direwolf and rideable they will travel in packs up to 3-4 and have serrated teeth that cause bleeding they also keep you warm when near or riding them, Left click is bite/scratch and right click wold be like a fox chirp/scream that can make predators somewhat uneasy tapping space makes them jump and holding it can make them jump higher C will make them do a sneak to not be noticed by prey also breeding them will make them have stronger bonds with the tamer and if you hold E on them while not riding they can curl into a ball and sleep or sit, "possible ability" tap X to gain small xp boost or movement speed boost, i think having this would be nice because it would be a good rival to direwolf, and we do not have ANY fox creatures in ark at all the riding ability adds more uses, also another possible ability could be night vision when hitting alt or ctrl.  taming could be basic knockout or petting them or passive taming with food.

Archived