Gorgonopsid: The Bloodhound of the ARK!

Scanova

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some concepts are good but i think it's trying to take on too many fronts some that belonged to other creatures even essentially powercreeping some 
the armor piercing and maybe stat checking could be good and something unique
the sniffing is a nice addition but again it's a powercreep for the direwolf (pretty much like sinomacrops powercreept the already useless archeopteryx) 

23 minutes ago, Mixxi said:

Some concepts are good but i think it's trying to take on too many fronts some that belonged to other creatures even essentially powercreeping some 
the armor piercing and maybe stat checking could be good and something unique
the sniffing is a nice addition but again it's a powercreep for the direwolf (pretty much like sinomacrops powercreept the already useless archeopteryx) 

I don't think it should be seen as power creeping but rather just an option. Like baryonyx or spino. Carcha or giga. Reaper or drake. Just personal preference. Me personal I play on pve so I just tame whatever I feel like taming and call it a day. I know a lot of pvp players like to look at something and be like "how good is it for us?". Point is there is nothing wrong with having options. Its cooler seeing different players using a variety of different tames rather than seeing virtually everyone use the same thing. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, FlameK33p3r said:

I wish a creature with the ability to locate high level dinos was in implemented into the game a long time ago. So much time spent scouring the maps in search of high level creatures most of the time to no avail, a creature like this would of came in super handy. This has my vote👍

Light Pets but they require to have their ability turned on and they have to be close enough for them to sense it(like a Parasuar). Gorgo would be a map wide thing which seems a bit over powered. Was gonna mention the Tek Transmitter but the Wild Dino Scan for that is S+ and more than likely other mods that do that too. Console players have it rough.

17 minutes ago, Fluffynerd said:

Light Pets but they require to have their ability turned on and they have to be close enough for them to sense it(like a Parasuar). Gorgo would be a map wide thing which seems a bit over powered. Was gonna mention the Tek Transmitter but the Wild Dino Scan for that is S+ and more than likely other mods that do that too. Console players have it rough.

The detecting high level creatures is NOT area-wide. It's a radius similar to light pets but it would be a bit larger and lead you to the highest level creature rather than just saying there's one in the area.

honestly dont get why this is getting soo many votes when we already have soo many other fast carnivores and killers already in the ark, it has alot of pretty nice abilities but its not really a game changer in any good way even with the high level tame finder that honestly takes out some of the hunting aspects of the game, i think the bison or even the big duck would be more game changing, the bison has alot more uses during mid to late game like farming and even traveling with some decent pve abilities. And the big duck that could be very useful in pvp (SOTF), and being a herbivore could be a substitute for the famous and highly used therizinosaurus used in boss battles like the dragon.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:00 PM, scubadivingmaui7 said:

I always thought it would be a good 'ragemonster' growing more powerful the lower its health is. Great risk-reward. That and I think it would make sense to be able to clamber up rough terrain easily like the thylacoleo.

Honestly I think if they made one big enough it'd make an amazing platform saddle tame, plus it'd be the first platform carnivore on land.

A suggestion of an ability:  Possibly with the wounded bite, every time the gorgonopsid attacks the wounded enemy, it increases in damage with every hit.  If the kill was successful, it would have a "berserker" like affect like giga or carchara where damage is multiplied by a certain precent for a set amount of time (for example 30 seconds).  If there nothing is killed within that time peroid, the berserker mode goes away.

On 1/14/2023 at 3:32 AM, Scanova said:

Gorgonopsid.png.39c871218d1ec896b9612eedd3d47d57.png

Gorgonopsids, named after the Gorgon of Greek myth, were a group of predatory stem-mammals that lived before the dinosaurs during the Permian period. Related to Purlovia, they were the top predators of their time.

Also, if you did not know. This is the ONLY creature ARK has confirmed to appear that never did. Back in ARK’s early days there was a list of all the creatures they planned to add on Steam. All of the creatures on that list were added eventually, with the exception of the Gorgonopsid. The gorgonopsid used to share this title of “Forgotten Creature” with the Giant Crab, but Karkinos has been added in Aberration.

In-game Name: Gorgonopsid

Dossier Statistics -

Species: Inostrancevia ______________

Time: Late Permian

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Aggressive

It is a mid-tier tame, being a decently powerful mount similar in scale to Thylacoleo. However, the gorgonopsid also has a very specific but incredibly useful ability.

This gorgonopsid would have the strongest sense of smell on the ARK, able to use its nose for a variety of different uses.

Ability 1: Tracking

By holding the sniffing ability, a crosshair will appear on the rider’s screen. When released onto a creature in sight, regardless of what it is, where it is, or who it belongs to, the Gorgonopsid will be able to tell its general direction, allowing the rider to track this creature across the map, regardless of its location.

This can act as a more organic form of the transponder, as you could give the gorgonopsid the scent of your flyer before you travel. In the event you die but your flyer lives and buzzed off somewhere unknown, you can take out your gorgonopsid to find it.

This also has utility in PvP, since this ability can identify and track enemies from a distance without their knowledge. This ability does have counters, as players will be notified that they’re being tracked (not if their tames are being tracked however), and gorgonopsids lose the scent if the creature they’re tracking is put into a cryopod. Gorgonopsids will remember their last scent if they themselves are put in cryopods, however.

Ability 2: High-Level Tame Finding

While there are creatures like the glow pets that have the ability to detect high level creatures in the area, gorgonopsids have a similar ability that is more direct. When using this ability, the gorgonopsid will show the direction of the highest level creature within a certain radius of itself, and is highlighted to the rider upon being viewed directly. This ability can be refreshed by using the ability again, and the target will change if a higher level creature has moved within range.

Ability 3: Wounding Bite

With a particularly powerful bite of its saber teeth, the Gorgonopsid leaves a wound upon the creature it attacked. This does not act like the bleed status, but it does give the gorgonopsid a much stronger scent to follow, allowing the rider to track the creature with much better accuracy than merely gaining the scent from afar. On top of this, since the Gorgonopsid has a much stronger scent from the wound, it allows the rider to see the stats of the wounded creature, akin to an organic and more widespread form of the HLN-A. This would be invaluable when looking to tame certain creatures or scouting for weaknesses in the mist of a battle.

Bonus Ability Proposal: Sensory Support

Acting as a companion to other tames, the gorgonopsid could greatly extend the range of nearby creatures with similar sensory abilities, like those of the Fjordhawk, Parasaur, Dire Wolves, Troodon, and others.

Community Suggested Abilities:

-Able to sniff out explosives and other hazards.

-Able to sniff out explorer notes (A suggestion by the Myotragus creator. Shoutout to Myotragus!)

-High Jump to aid in exploration and tracking across rough terrain

-Armor Piercing bite due to its saber teeth

-Senses and warns of creatures in ambush (Thylacoleo/Purlovia).

-The wounding bite was a community suggestion that was so good that I had to make it one of the main requested abilities. Thank you all!

If you guys have any other ideas based around the theming, please post it down below and I'll include it in this suggestion! I think it’d be a fun way to bring this forgotten creature back to ARK!

I only got this info from films and documentaries about this creature. It's speeding should be familiar to dire bear or whoolly rhino in ark. Not sure about the second info: In some of the documentaries they mention about gorgonopsid being a pack animal. (In one action film he was alone, so I'm not sure.) This animal is more of a heavy type, so I wouldn't be against it, if it was more like Andrewsarchus with drifting. (The animations in many videos shows him as more like a full muscle creature.) I'm sooo looking forward to this guy! I love dinos from my early childhood and this guys was one of my favourites even then. :)

• OnCue changed the title to Gorgonopsidae Tracking/stalking/sneaking ability

Archived