Gorgonopsid: The Bloodhound of the ARK!

Scanova

On 1/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, PASOKEMON said:

lets get this boy in the first place  , dont let it lose by a freaking goat ffs and a bison its a very cool and unique creature to have in a DINOSAUR game  can be good for caving adventuring and a battle mount in general killing easily any heavy armored tame with his big fangs , also wildcard had plans to release him in first place in the early ears of the games developments , so pls people give this cool Symapsid the redemption it deserves VOTE FOR GORGON !!!!

I see where you are coming from, however ARK is not a "dinosaur" game per se. There have been many non-dinosaur inclusions over the past 7 years the game has been out. (Like the dimetrodon, thylacoleo, pulmonoscorpius, arthroplura, ect..) and plenty of those creatures have been welcome inclusions to the game. I would personally love for the gorganopsid to win this vote, but you don't have to dis other people's ideas just because they don't have big fangs. Especially if the gorganopsid isn't even a dinosaur itself. It is a synapsid, and a very close relative to mammals today.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, TheWererapter92 said:

Now now hear me out, I know Gorgonopsids weren't all that big but THIS is Ark and for awhile now I've pondered what are the chances for some kind of quadropedal Carnivore big enough to have a small maybe 6x2 or 4x1 platform on its back. A wolf has been done at least once then Gorgonopsids popped into my head, if ark had one of these around the size of an Allo or just taller than a Shadow mane, it'd be an Awesome tame to have.

Giant Gorgonopsid that's my Submittion, picture included ain't mine it was on Google and already shows sign of ark design so Join me if you agree this must be done

1673727174013.jpg

I Agree Man!

17 hours ago, Scanova said:

The idea is that the Gorgonopsid is a general member of its family rather than an individual taxa. Many creatures in ARK already do this (Terror Bird, Titanosaur, Trilobite, Ammonite, etc.). I feel like it fits more considering people tend to be more in the love with the gorgonopsid concept (Like in Primeval and Walking with Monsters) rather than individual species like Inostrancevia and Gorgonops.

Again I go back to this as if you look at the explorer notes, they all say the species and its name. Terror Bird is Phorusrhacidae rapidesultor. Titanosaur is Titanosaurus vagacastrum. Trilobite is Trilobite conchadurus. Need I say more? Just choose a species of either Gorgonops or Inostracevia, to clarify which species you are choosing.

10 minutes ago, RaptorRapture19 said:

Have you read the explorer notes on those creatures though. And Desmodus is an actual species. Raptor is Utahraptor Prime. Rex is Tyrannosaurus dominum. Look it up.

I was wrong about Utahraptor, however there is no "Tyrannosaurus Dominum". Almost every piece of information links to ARK, it is a made up species for the game.

Just now, Vesdied said:

This is the link to the ark wikipedia. It does not confirm that tyrannosaurus dominum is a real species.

What I'm saying is that Tyrannosaurus is a real species, the last part of the name is Ark's subspecies. Gorgonopsid is not a species, it's a group, Inostracevia and Gorgonops are the species which belong to the Gorgonopsid group.

1 minute ago, RaptorRapture19 said:

What I'm saying is that Tyrannosaurus is a real species, the last part of the name is Ark's subspecies. Gorgonopsid is not a species, it's a group, Inostracevia and Gorgonops are the species which belong to the Gorgonopsid group.

So what's stopping Wildcard from naming it gorganopsid and labeling it's species as Inostrancevia ect
or gorganops ect. The name doesn't have to be 100% accurate, gorganopsid is a better known name anyways.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Vesdied said:

So what's stopping Wildcard from naming it gorganopsid and labeling it's species as Inostrancevia ect
or gorganops ect. The name doesn't have to be 100% accurate, gorganopsid is a better known name anyways.

Knee deep in the vote, the name certainly doesn't matter by now.

1 minute ago, Vesdied said:

Because you'll probably get gorgonops without clarification. That's the smaller one.

Trying not to make Wolves useless, what if Gorgon sniffing was a bit like the Spyglass? IE sniffing would display the data on nearby dinos from a distance, perhaps even torpor. Level, gender, perhaps even stat distribution, although that should be locked to creatures it has bitten and tracked. Would be an extremely useful tool for taming!

23 minutes ago, ExcSanguineWes said:

Trying not to make Wolves useless, what if Gorgon sniffing was a bit like the Spyglass? IE sniffing would display the data on nearby dinos from a distance, perhaps even torpor. Level, gender, perhaps even stat distribution, although that should be locked to creatures it has bitten and tracked. Would be an extremely useful tool for taming!

This is also not a bad idea. Personally if it does get added I don't want to see it be just another whack'em dead killer, or strictly pvp, or rex/giga/carcha/shadowmane/whatever-the-raptor-the-meta-is-counter. Like I wanna see this thing as more utility than killer. Seeing it added as just another whack'em killer or meta counter would be really lame and it would do this awesome creature a disservice. The game has more than enough whack'em killers. Lets get some more utility in right?

20 hours ago, Brownieontop said:

Please don't add this creature, we have 20 crappy tiny dog tames already, no reason for another stupid copy and paste animal

We have far more theropods and yet carchara still made it despite not even winning and there being well over a dozen. Conversely those "crappy tiny dog tames" are predominantly canine and not old school synapsids. Iirc We have exactly four of those: moschop, lystrosaurus, purlovia, and dimetrodon. Wanna know how many of those are rideable? One: moschops.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Scanova said:

This can act as a more organic form of the transponder,

This could prove useful. If I might suggest something: you could give it a level feature similar to troodon or theri in that you can choose to prioritize what it's specialty will be. On one hand you could have a sense tuned for wild creatures, players, etc. on the other you'd have a sense tuned for tames, tribe mates, and on a third hand because you're a freaky mutant who escaped the sewer you have the resource scent

For those that have been concerned about the whole Gorgonopsid - Inostrancevia - Gorgonops distinction, I have heard you!

My original intention with this suggestion is that it would be just a generic gorgonopsid. ARK has done this with creatures before (The terror bird, trilobite, ammonite, jellyfish, titanosaur, and others are all generic representatives of those groups rather than anything specific). In my head, the idea for the genus would just be "Gorgonopsidae". This is because I thought while Inostrancevia and Gorgonops are nice, these individual taxa are very rarely what people image when they image "Gorgonopsid". They think of the vaguely named ones in Primeval and Walking with Monsters.

However, there are people not happy with such an idea and I entirely understand why, especially for the Inostrancevia fans whose suggestion got lumped into this one.

So here's a good compromise. The name in-game can stay as gorgonopsid. Rex, raptor, and terror bird exist. Why not, right? Meanwhile, the genus and particular species of gorgonopsid is Inostrancevia.

• OnCue changed the title to Gorgonopsidae Tracking/stalking/sneaking ability

Archived