Gorgonopsid: The Bloodhound of the ARK!

Scanova

If this animal does make it into the game through the voting pole, I imagine it spawning inside caves. Especially the "Southeast Cave" of The Island, the map's "Lava Cave" as I like to call it, as both a tribute and reference to something I've thought of since first imagining gorgons in Ark years ago.

In a classic Capcom game, Dino Crisis 2, there's a gorgonopsid species known as "Inostrancevia" where in both lore and gameplay, they appear in hot regions like the lava caves and the burning missile silo. Because of this, I like to imagine this thing appearing in that cave, as well as some of the other non-lava themed caves like the southernmost or centermost caves.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RaptorRapture19 said:

Gorgonopsid isn't actually a real creatures, it's the name of the group. Inostracevia and Gorgonops belong to the Gorgonopsid group, so you might want to change the name of it.

The idea is that the Gorgonopsid is a general member of its family rather than an individual taxa. Many creatures in ARK already do this (Terror Bird, Titanosaur, Trilobite, Ammonite, etc.). I feel like it fits more considering people tend to be more in the love with the gorgonopsid concept (Like in Primeval and Walking with Monsters) rather than individual species like Inostrancevia and Gorgonops.

17 minutes ago, Scanova said:

The idea is that the Gorgonopsid is a general member of its family rather than an individual taxa. Many creatures in ARK already do this (Terror Bird, Titanosaur, Trilobite, Ammonite, etc.). I feel like it fits more considering people tend to be more in the love with the gorgonopsid concept (Like in Primeval and Walking with Monsters) rather than individual species like Inostrancevia and Gorgonops.

I guess that makes sense, but it's kinda useless to have Inostracevia on the vote too in that case.

My favorite prehistoric animal is Inostrancevia and I have some ideas for it,  1. It should have it so the way to begin tracking your enemies is too you use a special attack that bleeds the enemy and getting the scent of it's blood 2. Maybe for the sniffing ability have it so it shows a trail of foot prints or smoke or something so it can be the ultimate tracker 3.Have them run like a Andrew gradually gaining speed. 4.The gorgo could also defend your base by patrolling around your base and sniffing for the scent of any intruder in a set area, like how you can set the range of a dino leash. And also due to the fact that most likely gorgonopsids did have fur I would be cool if it had a nice coat with a jaguar like pattern which has the strongest bite force of all big cats.

IMG_20230114_233334966.jpg

• Volunteer Moderator
17 hours ago, RaptorRapture19 said:

Gorgonopsid isn't actually a real creatures, it's the name of the group. Inostracevia and Gorgonops belong to the Gorgonopsid group, so you might want to change the name of it.

Not sure why people downvoted this post but they are right, Gorgonopsid is NOT the name of the creature.

Gorgonops is the correct name. (Gorgonopsia)

17 hours ago, PASOKEMON said:

lets get this boy in the first place  , dont let it lose by a freaking goat ffs and a bison its a very cool and unique creature to have in a DINOSAUR game  can be good for caving adventuring and a battle mount in general killing easily any heavy armored tame with his big fangs , also wildcard had plans to release him in first place in the early ears of the games developments , so pls people give this cool Symapsid the redemption it deserves VOTE FOR GORGON !!!!

You realize about half the creatures in ark aren’t dinosaurs, right? Also gorgonopsids (not a species) aren’t dinosaurs either.

Common Name: Gorgonopsid
Species Name: Inostracevia Brutalis
Behaviour: extremely Aggressive

Wild:
A wild Gorgonopsid has to be one of the most dangerous animals you could encounter in the jungle, a true demonstration of Power, I've seen packs of these Rhino sized predators challenge giant Carnivores like the Rex or Spino and come out on top. This is most likely the work of their karge teeth and incredibly strong biteforce, which according to some survivors can cut through even the thickest armor be it natural or manufactured. Because of their high intellegence and large size they have to be one of the scariest animals on the ARKs striking fear into the hearts of smaller predators with just their presence alone.

Domesticated:
If one can manage to appease one of these great beasts and gain their trust, they might just let you stick around long enough to be considered part of their pack. At which point they'll  trust you enough to let you ride on their back and even fight for you.

0400f1f982e58be665964c03f7b6533f.jpg

18 hours ago, PASOKEMON said:

lets get this boy in the first place  , dont let it lose by a freaking goat ffs and a bison its a very cool and unique creature to have in a DINOSAUR game  can be good for caving adventuring and a battle mount in general killing easily any heavy armored tame with his big fangs , also wildcard had plans to release him in first place in the early ears of the games developments , so pls people give this cool Symapsid the redemption it deserves VOTE FOR GORGON !!!!

Why are you so mad after Bison and goat lmao, They are very good suggestions (also unique cause there isnt similar creatures in game) and Ark isn't just an Dinosaur game, They all are good suggestions

22 hours ago, PASOKEMON said:

creature finder deluxe would make the gorgo useless. Also cheese and resource tracking is so much cooler and more useful.

• OnCue changed the title to Gorgonopsidae Tracking/stalking/sneaking ability

Archived