Myotragus - The Giant Mountain Goat

I really like the idea of the goat roughly telling you where creatures are, maybe if you gave it a rare material like element he could be more precise on their location?  I've personally wasted insane amounts of time to find a rare creature that's also high level, for example the phoenix and good gigas. It's tedious checking every spawn region for a giga and they're not even there sometimes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

There is the creature scouting thing, something not even google can do to the same extent(though it should only work on wild conscious creatures WC please) and besides, an in game way of doing things is soooooo much better than external thing and feeling like your cheating finding the explorer notes and resources. Addionally, the goat could tell you the current resouce is there, and not some other tribe is there already mining it. additionaly, maybe it could somehow be better at detecting higher level animals, their tracker being much more prominent and sensed from further? and maybe being able to specify a gender too?

We already have 4 (5 depending on if you count bloodstalker vision) creatures that can detect others nearby but they are either limited by range, how accurate they are or by how many things it can target. Also once you played Ark for lets say more than 10 hours you know that obsidian, crystal and metal are on mountains 99% of the time so we already have vague directions before consulting this cute fella. It just needs something else because outside of its scan its really just a glorified worse ravager (easy to traverse with and loads of weight for its size).

This could be kind of a cool thing, but me personally, i dont think people want an ovis-equus hybrid for the final creature in ark. Deinocheirus and Gorgonopsid are much more relevant and useful creatures that could actually be unique and be used throughout all parts of the game. I really hope that this isnt a Minecraft Mob Vote 2.0 where everyone votes for what the big influencer wants.

On 1/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Introducing The Myotragus

Hi everyone! My name is NeddyTheNoodle and I'm submitting my idea for a resource-scouting companion called the Myotragus! Please support and upvote it if you'd like to see it in-game!

Historical Background

This mountain goat is based on a genus that actually went extinct around 4,500 years ago (according to Wikipedia). This goat unlike your average herbivore, had stereoscopic eyes pointed towards the front similar to primates and many carnivores.

Myotragus Dossier

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

dossier_final_lowRes.thumb.jpg.66356a0721087a183f5e64076fe87e13.jpg

Utility -- Why Is This Important?

1. Lets get right into the details of the Myotragus. What makes it useful or unique, and why should you vote for it? Well my idea is this goat would have the utility of 'sensing' resources and or creatures in an area around it. This sensing ability could be strengthened through levelling, and each Myotragus could have a unique set of resources or creatures it can sense, similar to the Gacha. In addition, Myotragus could be fantastic weight-reducing travel mounts for carrying goods. Potential resources Myotragus could find may include:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

2. Beyond sensing resources, perhaps Myotragus could also sense creatures in a new way -- pointing survivors in a direction from much further away than for example a Parasaur. Maybe you are looking for a Thyla for example and can't find any, but your Myotragus is able to scout out Thylas in particular. So even half way across the map, it can sense a creature from afar -- perhaps with a general hint or direction and not an exact coordinate / position.

3. I would suggest Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, similar to the Direwolf. Except Myotragus would be able to do it with ease, and scout out notes from much further away. Players have historically had a very difficult time tracking down the vast hundreds of explorer notes in the game, and an ability like this if done correctly would make collecting them much faster, easier, and more fun in my view.

4. Myotragus would be a secondary source of Mutton, though not as much as Ovis. The goat should not overrule the Ovis in the sheer density of harvestable mutton, but it should at least be an option available to survivors if need-be. Perhaps for every 10 raw mutton an Ovis grants, survivors collect 1-2 from the Myotragus.

Combat

The Myotragus is comparable to the male Megaloceros in the bleed damage it can dish out with its horns, however it is not a combat-heavy mount. This goat is focused on resources, creatures, and explorer notes! If you're someone who loves to roam around on the ARKs collecting new things, exploring, and doing it all safely and carefully, the Myotragus is a great guide that helps avoid combat instead of engaging with it.

Travel

As a fantastic creature for scaling vertical regions of any ARK, as shown in the dossier the Myotragus could scale nearly 90 degree angles with how effectively versatile it climbs. Acting similar to the TEK Boots, the Myotragus is careful and precise with its hooves allowing the creature to escape foes with ease, and gain a vertical advantage for spotting resources, explorer notes, and any creatures it has a particular interest in.

Taming

Taming Myotragus involves the resources it is such a great scout for. Not unlike taming Gachas, Myotragus are intrigued by survivors handing them strange new resources. Eventually if a survivor does this enough, and with a wide enough variety, the Myotragus can be tamed, and survivors can reap the benefits of having a resource, explorer notes, and perhaps creature scout, all in one self-contained mountain goat. How's that sound?

Concluding...

If you like my pitch, please upvote this post, and tell the community about the Myotragus! The dossier above was concepted by myself over a year ago, and it is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to bring it back for a second round and try and get it implemented. #VoteGoat today and let's make this happen! Thanks, survivors!

Sounds like something you could travel the map with ease and lots of fun 

On 1/13/2023 at 7:30 PM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Hi everyone! My name is NeddyTheNoodle and I'm submitting my idea for a resource-scouting companion called the Myotragus! Please support and upvote it if you'd like to see it in-game!

Historical Background

This mountain goat is based on a genus that actually went extinct around 4,500 years ago (according to Wikipedia). This goat unlike your average herbivore, had stereoscopic eyes pointed towards the front similar to primates and many carnivores.

Myotragus Dossier

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

1. Lets get right into the details of the Myotragus. What makes it useful or unique, and why should you vote for it? Well my idea is this goat would have the utility of 'sensing' resources and or creatures in an area around it. This sensing ability could be strengthened through levelling, and each Myotragus could have a unique set of resources or creatures it can sense, similar to the Gacha. In addition, Myotragus could be fantastic weight-reducing travel mounts for carrying goods. Potential resources Myotragus could find may include:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

2. Beyond sensing resources, perhaps Myotragus could also sense creatures in a new way -- pointing survivors in a direction from much further away than for example a Parasaur. Maybe you are looking for a Thyla for example and can't find any, but your Myotragus is able to scout out Thylas in particular. So even half way across the map, it can sense a creature from afar -- perhaps with a general hint or direction and not an exact coordinate / position.

3. I would suggest Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, similar to the Direwolf. Except Myotragus would be able to do it with ease, and scout out notes from much further away. Players have historically had a very difficult time tracking down the vast hundreds of explorer notes in the game, and an ability like this if done correctly would make collecting them much faster, easier, and more fun in my view.

4. Myotragus would be a secondary source of Mutton, though not as much as Ovis. The goat should not overrule the Ovis in the sheer density of harvestable mutton, but it should at least be an option available to survivors if need-be. Perhaps for every 10 raw mutton an Ovis grants, survivors collect 1-2 from the Myotragus.

Combat

The Myotragus is comparable to the male Megaloceros in the bleed damage it can dish out with its horns, however it is not a combat-heavy mount. This goat is focused on resources, creatures, and explorer notes! If you're someone who loves to roam around on the ARKs collecting new things, exploring, and doing it all safely and carefully, the Myotragus is a great guide that helps avoid combat instead of engaging with it.

Travel

As a fantastic creature for scaling vertical regions of any ARK, as shown in the dossier the Myotragus could scale nearly 90 degree angles with how effectively versatile it climbs. Acting similar to the TEK Boots, the Myotragus is careful and precise with its hooves allowing the creature to escape foes with ease, and gain a vertical advantage for spotting resources, explorer notes, and any creatures it has a particular interest in.

Taming

Taming Myotragus involves the resources it is such a great scout for. Not unlike taming Gachas, Myotragus are intrigued by survivors handing them strange new resources. Eventually if a survivor does this enough, and with a wide enough variety, the Myotragus can be tamed, and survivors can reap the benefits of having a resource, explorer notes, and perhaps creature scout, all in one self-contained mountain goat. How's that sound?

Concluding...

If you like my pitch, please upvote this post, and tell the community about the Myotragus! The dossier above was concepted by myself over a year ago, and it is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to bring it back for a second round and try and get it implemented. #VoteGoat today and let's make this happen! Thanks, survivors!

It should have a similar charge as the trike but it could break through rocks and it should have pack mentality as well as a lot of natural resistance

On 1/14/2023 at 9:30 AM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Historical Background

Myotragus Dossier

Wild

Domesticated

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

Combat

Travel

Taming

Concluding...

I feel like it would also be quite fun if you added something that is useful to the pop community and not just pve bobs 

Okay Myotragus, It's sensory abilities could be useful I can see the sensing creatures ability to be useful but the Resources is where I have a problem I know you went really indepth with it Neddy and most people use online resources for it nowadays so I don't see it being that useful, say if there is a tame and a place where you need to find resources most people would be using an argy or a bigger flyer like the wyvern to bring back resources If I was in that situation I wouldn't pull out the goat to help me find a resource that's only a little bit away. I like the Bleed and the Climbing steep mountains this can't be much of A PvP tame so I understand 

Archived