Myotragus - The Giant Mountain Goat

Introducing The Myotragus

Hi everyone! My name is NeddyTheNoodle and I'm submitting my idea for a resource-scouting companion called the Myotragus! Please support and upvote it if you'd like to see it in-game!

Historical Background

This mountain goat is based on a genus that actually went extinct around 4,500 years ago (according to Wikipedia). This goat unlike your average herbivore, had stereoscopic eyes pointed towards the front similar to primates and many carnivores.

Myotragus Dossier

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

dossier_final_lowRes.thumb.jpg.66356a0721087a183f5e64076fe87e13.jpg

Utility -- Why Is This Important?

1. Lets get right into the details of the Myotragus. What makes it useful or unique, and why should you vote for it? Well my idea is this goat would have the utility of 'sensing' resources and or creatures in an area around it. This sensing ability could be strengthened through levelling, and each Myotragus could have a unique set of resources or creatures it can sense, similar to the Gacha. In addition, Myotragus could be fantastic weight-reducing travel mounts for carrying goods. Potential resources Myotragus could find may include:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

2. Beyond sensing resources, perhaps Myotragus could also sense creatures in a new way -- pointing survivors in a direction from much further away than for example a Parasaur. Maybe you are looking for a Thyla for example and can't find any, but your Myotragus is able to scout out Thylas in particular. So even half way across the map, it can sense a creature from afar -- perhaps with a general hint or direction and not an exact coordinate / position.

3. I would suggest Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, similar to the Direwolf. Except Myotragus would be able to do it with ease, and scout out notes from much further away. Players have historically had a very difficult time tracking down the vast hundreds of explorer notes in the game, and an ability like this if done correctly would make collecting them much faster, easier, and more fun in my view.

4. Myotragus would be a secondary source of Mutton, though not as much as Ovis. The goat should not overrule the Ovis in the sheer density of harvestable mutton, but it should at least be an option available to survivors if need-be. Perhaps for every 10 raw mutton an Ovis grants, survivors collect 1-2 from the Myotragus.

Combat

The Myotragus is comparable to the male Megaloceros in the bleed damage it can dish out with its horns, however it is not a combat-heavy mount. This goat is focused on resources, creatures, and explorer notes! If you're someone who loves to roam around on the ARKs collecting new things, exploring, and doing it all safely and carefully, the Myotragus is a great guide that helps avoid combat instead of engaging with it.

Travel

As a fantastic creature for scaling vertical regions of any ARK, as shown in the dossier the Myotragus could scale nearly 90 degree angles with how effectively versatile it climbs. Acting similar to the TEK Boots, the Myotragus is careful and precise with its hooves allowing the creature to escape foes with ease, and gain a vertical advantage for spotting resources, explorer notes, and any creatures it has a particular interest in.

Taming

Taming Myotragus involves the resources it is such a great scout for. Not unlike taming Gachas, Myotragus are intrigued by survivors handing them strange new resources. Eventually if a survivor does this enough, and with a wide enough variety, the Myotragus can be tamed, and survivors can reap the benefits of having a resource, explorer notes, and perhaps creature scout, all in one self-contained mountain goat. How's that sound?

Concluding...

If you like my pitch, please upvote this post, and tell the community about the Myotragus! The dossier above was concepted by myself over a year ago, and it is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to bring it back for a second round and try and get it implemented. #VoteGoat today and let's make this happen! Thanks, survivors!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Introducing The Myotragus

Hi everyone! My name is NeddyTheNoodle and I'm submitting my idea for a resource-scouting companion called the Myotragus! Please support and upvote it if you'd like to see it in-game!

Historical Background

This mountain goat is based on a genus that actually went extinct around 4,500 years ago (according to Wikipedia). This goat unlike your average herbivore, had stereoscopic eyes pointed towards the front similar to primates and many carnivores.

Myotragus Dossier

Wild

On the surface, Myotragus sensorem looks like a regular mountain goat. Upon closer inspection however, this creature is a lucky thing to come across. In the wild, Myotragus sensorem is passive, though defensive when attacked. 

Myotragus are capable of scaling the steep slopes of the mountainous regions. This verticality, combined with their high fortitude when in the presence of certain resources, makes them a dangerous foe if they are attacked in areas containing high quantities of materials often useful to survivors.

The sharpened horns of Myotragus allow them to pierce the flesh of creatures and survivors alike, causing them to bleed. Combined with this, Myotragus are about as large as an adult survivor. Thus, it is wise to avoid violent confrontation with Myotragus unless necessary.

Domesticated

Perhaps the most unique capability of Myotragus is its strange propensity to sensing various local resource deposits along with creatures in a given area. Tribes have found that upon showing Myotragus specific resources, it will point its human companion in the right direction.

While Myotragus are not effective gatherers on their own, they have the unique ability of having an easier time carrying the resources which they can sense. This makes them efficient at helping survivors find resources to then carry back to their encampments with ease. The unique jump-height, verticality, and weight carrying capacity of Myotragus, combined with its ability to sense local resources, makes it an excellent companion to have in these harsh lands.

dossier_final_lowRes.thumb.jpg.66356a0721087a183f5e64076fe87e13.jpg

Utility -- Why Is This Important?

1. Lets get right into the details of the Myotragus. What makes it useful or unique, and why should you vote for it? Well my idea is this goat would have the utility of 'sensing' resources and or creatures in an area around it. This sensing ability could be strengthened through levelling, and each Myotragus could have a unique set of resources or creatures it can sense, similar to the Gacha. In addition, Myotragus could be fantastic weight-reducing travel mounts for carrying goods. Potential resources Myotragus could find may include:

• Raw Metal
  • Obsidian
  • Crystal
  • Gems
  • Oil
  • Sap
  • Sulfur
  • Silica Pearls
  • Black Pearls
  • Fungal Wood
  • Raw Salt

2. Beyond sensing resources, perhaps Myotragus could also sense creatures in a new way -- pointing survivors in a direction from much further away than for example a Parasaur. Maybe you are looking for a Thyla for example and can't find any, but your Myotragus is able to scout out Thylas in particular. So even half way across the map, it can sense a creature from afar -- perhaps with a general hint or direction and not an exact coordinate / position.

3. I would suggest Myotragus can track down Explorer Notes, similar to the Direwolf. Except Myotragus would be able to do it with ease, and scout out notes from much further away. Players have historically had a very difficult time tracking down the vast hundreds of explorer notes in the game, and an ability like this if done correctly would make collecting them much faster, easier, and more fun in my view.

4. Myotragus would be a secondary source of Mutton, though not as much as Ovis. The goat should not overrule the Ovis in the sheer density of harvestable mutton, but it should at least be an option available to survivors if need-be. Perhaps for every 10 raw mutton an Ovis grants, survivors collect 1-2 from the Myotragus.

Combat

The Myotragus is comparable to the male Megaloceros in the bleed damage it can dish out with its horns, however it is not a combat-heavy mount. This goat is focused on resources, creatures, and explorer notes! If you're someone who loves to roam around on the ARKs collecting new things, exploring, and doing it all safely and carefully, the Myotragus is a great guide that helps avoid combat instead of engaging with it.

Travel

As a fantastic creature for scaling vertical regions of any ARK, as shown in the dossier the Myotragus could scale nearly 90 degree angles with how effectively versatile it climbs. Acting similar to the TEK Boots, the Myotragus is careful and precise with its hooves allowing the creature to escape foes with ease, and gain a vertical advantage for spotting resources, explorer notes, and any creatures it has a particular interest in.

Taming

Taming Myotragus involves the resources it is such a great scout for. Not unlike taming Gachas, Myotragus are intrigued by survivors handing them strange new resources. Eventually if a survivor does this enough, and with a wide enough variety, the Myotragus can be tamed, and survivors can reap the benefits of having a resource, explorer notes, and perhaps creature scout, all in one self-contained mountain goat. How's that sound?

Concluding...

If you like my pitch, please upvote this post, and tell the community about the Myotragus! The dossier above was concepted by myself over a year ago, and it is pretty awesome to have the opportunity to bring it back for a second round and try and get it implemented. #VoteGoat today and let's make this happen! Thanks, survivors!

TLDR: waste of potential, argy and Google does everything the goat does but better.

Personally, you’re one of my fav YouTubers, but this one I disagree with. It seems pretty useless as soon as you have a flier. Hear me out here.
Goat:
Can climb vertically and jump
Bleed dmg
Scout resources, scout creatures and notes
Carry reduction
Bad passive tame

Argentavis: 
Can fly (better)
Heal on harvest meat (better than bleed)
Scout literally anything (not as fine tuned as goat, but Google can also scout anything)
Carry reduction 
Smithy saddle
Pickup 
Fun knockout tame 

Need I say more? The moment you can tame an argent this thing is useless. It’s an early game mount, and if it wins, it will just get buried like the other early game mounts. (Kapro, parasaur only useful as turret, iguanodon, gallimimus, etc)

Overall: 
Waste of potential imo

1 hour ago, Speedwagon said:

TLDR: waste of potential, argy and Google does everything the goat does but better.

Personally, you’re one of my fav YouTubers, but this one I disagree with. It seems pretty useless as soon as you have a flier. Hear me out here.
Goat:
Can climb vertically and jump
Bleed dmg
Scout resources, scout creatures and notes
Carry reduction
Bad passive tame

Argentavis: 
Can fly (better)
Heal on harvest meat (better than bleed)
Scout literally anything (not as fine tuned as goat, but Google can also scout anything)
Carry reduction 
Smithy saddle
Pickup 
Fun knockout tame 

Need I say more? The moment you can tame an argent this thing is useless. It’s an early game mount, and if it wins, it will just get buried like the other early game mounts. (Kapro, parasaur only useful as turret, iguanodon, gallimimus, etc)

Overall: 
Waste of potential imo

Valid, but there are certainly thing to do to get around these problems:
First off, goat is immediately much better on aberration and genesis one, besides that, its kinda fun to travel around in a immersive way. Maybe it could have a better targeting team, so less creatures attack it? (Especially swamp creatures, as that seems like the goats weakpoint, a large flat, watery area with lots of combat) Additionaly, maybe it has a passive sense where it alerts when a dangerous creature is fairly close(Smaller than para and dosent show you or give alert, but rather the goat starts screaming or something. Also as an earlier game role, maybe some hot and cold insulation while riding to account for that. besides that, make it fast and take little fall damage, and its walk speed reasonably slow. also, side note, rider weapondry probably?

As for the bleed, I think it would be better suited to have a slowness buff applied to something so it can escape, and also to have some sort of armored saddle or high hp pool and large natral regen to account for its smallness to make it not, one giga bite death. 

There is the creature scouting thing, something not even google can do to the same extent(though it should only work on wild conscious creatures WC please) and besides, an in game way of doing things is soooooo much better than external thing and feeling like your cheating finding the explorer notes and resources. Addionally, the goat could tell you the current resouce is there, and not some other tribe is there already mining it. additionaly, maybe it could somehow be better at detecting higher level animals, their tracker being much more prominent and sensed from further? and maybe being able to specify a gender too?

The carry reduction and weight of goat probably have to be somewhat ludicriously high to accomidate its role, but WC made a monkey as tall as a human stronger then a rex, so i dont think thats a problem. 

True, it has the smithy saddle over it, and pickup, nothings gonna change that.

And yeah, the method is unique, but going out and gather resources and slowing feeding them to an animal that can walk up cliffs you cant.... yeah. I think something cooler, esspecially cuz we havent had a knockout tame in awhile, is hand feeding it narcotics, it thinking you agressive, and charging, and you have to doge to the side of its rams while force feeding it tranqs, then, once down, feed it a varitey of resources to tame.

Oh yeah, and a ram to stun smaller things would be fun to use

So overall, it is an early game tame, awesome for traveling, finding good resources, and further tames, and explorer notes, a little faster, but more dangerous resource transport to argent, and probably more fun to traverse the map with, if combined with some fun controls while moving to make it not just hold sprint(Maybe like it gains momentem while on steeper surfaces, and has to jump from cliff to cliff?) and is somewhat fun to tame, and beyond that, is so much more immersive to use than google or an argent. You dont feel entirely above danger, you can sense things somewhat naturally, and overall its alot more fun to play than argent, even if argent is a little more effective and consistent.

23 minutes ago, SirIndoraptor said:

idk its not that i dont like a cute goat but its just... boring like the bison its a dinosaur game and im here to see them and not the mammels:)

Im here to have fun, and experience cool and unique creautres that are fun and/or unique to use, such as pteranodon, basilo(mostly just for the revenge kills) Bloodstalker, wyverns, astrodelphis, dinopithicus(whenever its not broken), and more... Wait, i just listed all non-dinosaurs.....

For the people crying 'useless' 'waste of time' 'non dinosaur'...instead of being a debbie downer and slamming someone else's idea...make your own thread for your own creature suggestion and/or vote/comment on the creatures you DO like? Personally I think the game could use more prehistoric mammals and we certainly have an army of large carnivores. Here's hoping the bison and the goat both eventually make their way into the game and we get a mammal two-pack. ❤️

I GENUINELY love this addition and know Neddy has suggested it before, it is a needed creature you can utilize for sensing and/or collecting resources easier - not to mention the scaling abilities it brings to the table. I personally love creatures that have a good carry weight, as that’s one of the most important things to level in the game. Plus; the explorer notes suggestion, those are incredibly hard to find in the first place, but TLDR; it’s the G.O.A.T

I honestly would love to have another goat creature. I am exhausted by all the carnivore creatures and the generic fliers of ark, other than the Desmond and maewing. I want more different ways of travel, to make the game more fun plus ark 2 is around the corner and I think adding carnivores now would be a lost cause. I am hyped for this creature and hopefully it's gets the votes as I want to breed them to get amazing colors 

Archived