Giant Bison - Ice Age Cattle

Nekatus

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would love to see this in ARK. 
we need cows/bison in ark. sure there is mods but we want it on the official version to. for everyone can't have mods. and it could be really useful 

some suggestion for its ability's.  isolation like the basilo have. but it should work even if you stand next to it. 
it could maybe throw/knock back animals with its big horns. 
break bones/stun. 
Milk that would give some isolations, and a bit faster healing for the player/dino that drink the milk. for a short amount of time.  (since milk make bones stronger) 

i think the bison could have an ability like the bastion beetle also in the submission, where it would charge at dinos at fast speeds and throw them into the air stunning them and doing tonnes of damage although it would use alot of stamina and there could be a cooldown, dont really like the waves of predators thing would just be really annoying and is very unlikely to come into the game anyway

12 hours ago, GhostCreep said:

ARK is definitely missing a tame like this one. This should honestly be added regardless of the winner just because of how much it could bring to the game…

While there are quite a few great ideas with Gorgonopsid, Giant Bison, the fox, and also kronosaurus in that order I don't think a creature should ever be added by ignoring the votes. Thats not how voting works. That just neglects the whole point of voting. 

It's a beautiful animal and would be nice to have the convenience of it's milk but this seems to be a choice between something that encourages you to leave base and play the game vs something the encourages you to never leave your base even to feed your babies. There's enough stuff in the game that does that. R seeds being the biggest offender. This might be our last opportunity to add something to the game that has new mechanics and can add new strategies to the stail meta. I see the gorgon and the Bastion filling that nitch far better the the bison. Just my thoughts. I am happy that we get to have these conversations still and to see all the amazing ideas everyone has for the game they love. 🤗

On 1/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, TheTycoonRaptor said:

Man I just want to be an ARK cowboy, is that too much to ask?

Maybe third time's the charm?

Honestly if the bison doesn't take this then wildcard should be willing to drop it in for its popularity as they did with the carchara. After all, they've proven once that they'll bend the rules on the matter for a popular submission, may as well do it again because as the carchara players said many moons ago: "it's clearly popular"

A few additional suggestions on my part:

Combat: Next to a standard horn attack it definetly needs a charge attack with a very bad turning radius but good damage and high knockback, or let it trample eyery dino smaler than it, so that they take no knockback, but are "thrown to the ground" i.e. stunned. Maybe let it be different from male to female, where the male is stronger(because bigger horns and gererally heavier), but not too strong since the stampede should have room left to add a good chunck of additional damage.

Stampede: Multiple Bisons close together would form a herd (tamed and in the wildness), which would be indecated with a number above their head like with all the other dinos. The heard would not buff the stats of the Bisons directly(if you want to maybe ab bit damage reduktion) but rather enable a stampede. When the leader of the herd (the highest level male) would start its charge(gernerally while being ridden, or being aggroed in the wild) every other Bison in the herd would charge alongside with it(maybe except ones beeing ridden as the rider has to amually charge with the herd). This charge attack would be stonger the more Bisons are in the herd(applying a multiplier to the normal charge attack of every Bison) but would be near impossible to manuver. It would also increse witch dinos could be trampled and "thrown to the groung" with 10(?) being able to trample a Giga and Bronto.

Wild Bisons: They would travel in natural herds and because they should be rather big not more than one or two per spawn area. These herds would mostly show up in flat and grassy terretory like the ragnarok highlands and because they are so big and there is only one of them they should really wander through the entire highlands as a herd. In every herde there are a few young which are proteced fiercely by the herd. If one comes to close single Bisons would charge out to hit a threat but then quickly return to the safety of the herd. If a threat comes even closer the leader would get involved and start a stampede.

Taming: Definitely involve a horse and lasso somehow, maybe in two phases like the Charca, first lasso it and drag it somewhere away from the herd to tire it out and than mount it and go full rodeo.

Domesticated: To make up for the weaker attack female Bisons can be milked. This milk can be consumed to heal quicker(similar to honey) and warmed up in a cooking pot to give a similar buff to cold water from a refigerator, maybe even give short immunity to beeing frozen. It could also be fed to babies increasing their growth rate by a bit(10%?). Although I like the cheese idea I dont know what cheese would do...

Raids: A full on OSD-style raid would be way to much, but maybe you could have some wolves or the like randomly spawn(ignoring spawning restrictions) so that you have to keep them save somehow.

Waggon: You should be able to ride Bisons without a saddle, but can span up to four onto a cart adding all their wight together and miltiplyining it by two(or four). The cart could be driven by just one player but a second one could sit next to him and in the back would be a small platform-saddle-like space where you could build just a few storage boxes, a salt vessel or just two benches to support additional players. Those Bisons could of couse not attack or charge.

I feel like the same could be said for the gorgon, or any other of the top ten choices.

"I feel like voting this creature in is a GIGANTIC mistake, just think to the dinopithecous, it got a lot of votes, but was lame so no one ever uses it, what the hell are you gonna do with a *insert creature here*, *use one ability that another dino has or can be looked up on Google*? Damn that's lame as hell my boy"

Just because the deinopithicus doesn't see much use in PvP doesn't mean people don't use it in PvE. PvP isn't the only way to play Ark, and thus the creature that wins should have use in both PvP *and* PvE.

41 minutes ago, KingOfReaperYT said:

I feel like voting this creature in is a GIGANTIC mistake, just think to the dinopithecous, it got a lot of votes, but was lame so no one ever uses it, what the hell are you gonna do with a cow, milk it? Damn that's lame as hell my boy

I feel like the same could be said for the gorgon, or any other of the top ten choices.

"I feel like voting this creature in is a GIGANTIC mistake, just think to the dinopithecous, it got a lot of votes, but was lame so no one ever uses it, what the hell are you gonna do with a *insert creature here*, *use one ability that another dino has or can be looked up on Google*? Damn that's lame as hell my boy"

Just because the deinopithicus doesn't see much use in PvP doesn't mean people don't use it in PvE. PvP isn't the only way to play Ark, and thus the creature that wins should have use in both PvP *and* PvE.

My vote is for the Aurochs(bison, bovine... whatever), but I am mixed on the mechanics.

As for popular, I didn't know the OP came from a celebrity until the flames. The tame would be cool.

I don't want something nerfed to generic, nor do I want something that tips the scale.

The cart is a cool idea, but wheels suck on rough terrain, so the cart would have to come with roads, could only drive on foundations etc... major suck. Let's stick with a proper saddle, which makes more sense for rough terrain. I would be ok with a regular and platform saddle variant.

The idea that this attracts predators or causes them to spawn, well maybe they spawn the gorgon, so everyone wins, but really, having a bunch of cattle attacked by a special spawn doesn't seem particularly on theme, because this mechanic could apply to dodo (chickens) ovis (sheep) and phiomia (elephants). But, really it already applies to every tame in the game, even your Tek Stryder can be killed by Therizinosaurus if left alone to the spawns. I vote no way for this mechanic on complexity and theme.

I love the milk ideas. I think a milk and related recipes adds quite a lot of theme without requiring a lot of game code.

A cheese that extends the spoil time and works like jerky. Maybe even makes use of the preserving bin. Pairs well with berries. And, add a wine while you're at it.

Milk to replace specific foods, yeah, that's not too game breaking, but only milk the females ;) and has a cooldown.

This better be a good ol' force tame, because that would feel right, but I like the idea of stampedes impaling you as you attempt to tame one, if not careful. And, the idea of roaming herds in the snow biome. Maybe doesn't tame on berries, but tames on thatch and fiber.... and kibble.

I don't think it needs a special attack, and we don't need another resource farmer, but I'm all for the milk ideas.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:31 AM, SheudenFritz said:

While there are quite a few great ideas with Gorgonopsid, Giant Bison, the fox, and also kronosaurus in that order I don't think a creature should ever be added by ignoring the votes. Thats not how voting works. That just neglects the whole point of voting. 

Funny you say that, I practically screamed that from the mountain tops when they decided to add carchara despite it losing twice. Now the cracks in the dam have formed and I'm just gonna sit back and watch the show, maybe take a chisel to  it every now and then for a giggle.

Archived