Giant Bison - Ice Age Cattle

Nekatus

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, MadAb said:

And to think instead of adding that wonderful beetle we're probably going to get an overgrown yak that's going to be heavily nerfed and rewritten into something that's just a shell of the writer's idea. 

Tbh that is gonna be the same thing will happen to the beetle as well

It will just became a oversized dung beetle 

1 hour ago, Jihun said:

You're breaking the rules. You use your recognition to move your fans when everyone votes fairly. This is a very unfair and ugly act, the same as a YouTuber who elected Sinomacrops by manipulating public opinion during the Lost Island vote.

I dont force anyone to vote for something I like. Calm down and think about it.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Jihun said:

You're breaking the rules. You use your recognition to move your fans when everyone votes fairly. This is a very unfair and ugly act, the same as a YouTuber who elected Sinomacrops by manipulating public opinion during the Lost Island vote.

Don't treat the community as sheep.

Everyone, regardless of who they are (unless they are a Wildcard employee) can submit a creature and share that with the community. They can share it on Twitter, Discord, any social media platform, that is what the internet is for. That is all Nekatus has done.

Please do not attempt to stir up trouble for someone elses submission, i'm sure you would not like that in your own submission.

The great pioneering Giant Bison!

(Bison Latifrons)

Wild

The Giant Bison is as the name suggests, a large bovine with massive horns that it uses to ward off the deadly predators of the island. While these massive horns allow to duke it out with the largest of carnivores, it often falls prey to smaller quicker creatures. Its large herds are something to view at a distance as any slight disturbances will send them into a frenzied panic. Often these stampedes alter the terrain as they will knock over trees in their panic.

Males will have longer thicker horns as the females will bear more stout horns. Both of which function a bit differently, the makes longer horns offer a longer range to then swinging their horns whereas females can strike harder without as much risk to breaking their horns.

Domesticated

Domesticated, a Giant Bison is an excellant utilitarian beast of burden. Their stocky bovine bodies can pull or carry loads several times their weight, often through use of a wagon. When under harness with a saddle they can make use of their horns by defending your home or collecting massive amounts of thatch, berries and fiber! Furthermore a nefarious few tribes have utilized the pure strength of these animals to equip them with heavy-plated armor.

The tight-knit herds of these animals can be utilized to boost the abilities of its kin. Upon being close to eachother, especially one male to a group, they begin to bolster eachothers fortitude and strength. Able to burden heavier loads, travel further on less stamina and make themselves look like more of a threat to predators.

Overview:

- Has high weight carrying or over all low weight carrying coupled with a wagon which reduces the weight of objects placed inside (think a barebones pioneers wagon with perhaps extra seats or even the ability to build a small amount of structures.

- Sexual dimorphism with males having longer horns and the therefore longer reach on attacks.

- Herd bonus that decreases weight in their inventory by incrimental amounts for each member as well as lessens stamina usage. Even increasing their visual drag weight to potentially ward off predators, if the difference is too great, predators may even get scared.

- Has alternative heavy platemail harness. Idea of which based upon medieval warhorses. The armor would slow but ground them as they can then be able to run through rocks as well as trees. Has potential to deflect convential firearm rounds (only lessens damage from turrets for balance sake). When this happens it ricochets, redirecting somewhere around the Bison.

- Taming would be courtesy of the Immersive Taming mod's general idea. Throw a bale of specially blended herbs and vegetable while trying to not aggro the extremely volatile creatures. These new bales would act like honey x2 for herbivores, drawing them in from further away than honey would.

- Male young can be neutered to become 'Giant Steer' and will produce more hide, pelt and meat for health stat much like ovis.

Well the longhorn bison is already posted so i figured i'll pop this under Nekatus' entry for additional ideas!

12 hours ago, Nekatus said:

Name: Giant Bison

Species: Bison longicornis

Time: Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Territorial

Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the largest bovine in existence is a sight to behold. With their massive pair of horns, they are known to be aggressive chargers and capable of goring any predator willing to challenge them including wolves and bears. Their large bodies capable of withstanding the harshest winters with their ever-growing pelts, making them durable enough to resist freezing to death. 

Taming: Extremely sought for their pelts, horns, and the rich bovine milk, taming a Bison isn't as easy at it looks. Many tribesmen attempt to bull-ride in hopes to tire them out and begin feeding them when they aren't wide awake. Beware getting bucked off, I've seen many tribesmen knocked out with that heavy bull kick to the face. Some get gored if unlucky enough.

Domesticated: Once they are tamed, this of course unfortunately attracts every now and then random predators who want to raid your livestock and eat them all. The milk produced by the females gives any baby animal being raised a quite needed boost, potentially can be warmed up in an cooking pot for a special buff against the cold weather. With their hulking bodies, they offer extra warmth and can carry weight much like modern ox. Like modern cattle, their feces is much more potent fertilizer often referred to as "cow pie" that gives crops a boost of extra harvest.

hy175zxnpr141.webp.eef0935fa82369343685ced9919f1d20.webp

ARK Meta:

Combat: Built in with a charge mechanic similar to Triceratops and the Woolly Rhinoceros, the Bison could impale its victims into their horns and gore them to bleed out, as well a herd buff to boost their strength with mate boost activated, dealing extreme damage. Crippling debuff inflicted on players and dinosaurs if it successfully charges.

Utility: Another farm animal for the common PVE (or RP) players who would love a cow in ARK (like the ones in Atlas). Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves.  When Bison defecate, they drop a special feces called "cow pie" which is much better than other dinosaur feces, and more efficient, sometimes giving the crops a boost of extra harvest. With a unique cart or wagon saddle, depending on the type of saddle chosen affects how the player how much weight they can carry back and forth from point A to point B with more speed. The amount of Bison needed for the type of cart or wagon saddle affects not only speed, the weight and the mobility of the mini-wheeled base.

Bison Milk - Like other bovines, Bison can be milked for their nutritional sweet baby food. If fed to warm blooded babies, the calcium would help them grow much faster than normal than any other food if given the proper care. Can be substituted for any food a baby might require care such as kibble.65966801.jpg.ff4b57a9fb81c3a761d6681c9e410b3c.jpg

Bison Milk Cheese - A crafting recipe requiring Bison milk, a very delicious cheese with a very wild yet sweet taste. Who knows what else it could offer?__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2017__0-s-vicky-wasik-butter-d099ca32323349edbe19c3988edcdc30.thumb.jpg.693bbdedd86526f4d723e13728935a89.jpg

sRy0O3bzwuFUG3C70lc4Abhm9LRwPN6EtoyyOj2Wzd0.thumb.webp.83fec29da9ab093dd971282f67f2d06e.webp

Raids: Having a livestock of these Bison will eventually lead to many predators wanting to assault your base to eat your beef, much in the same manner as how the Corrupted attack Element Veins/OSDs or the Nameless harassing you if you don't have a charge pet. You will have to turn full on cowboy to keep them at bay every now and then.

Credits for this post goes to TheIronWolf45 who posted this submission for Fjordur's creature submission

17 hours ago, Nekatus said:

Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves.

PLEASE this. This late in the game's lifespan, it's about time we got an alternate method of feeding baby wyverns, like the Maewing SHOULD have been able to instead of a glorified feeding trough (which don't get me wrong, is very handy for raising babies, but the description of it was misleading into thinking it's actual milk was what fed babies, not that it just held the normal food).

i hop this com to the game it will help us to rais wyvers i hop it can and is look  cool and will give the game a good boost to it  and i think it is a bout time we get to have a animel that give us milk  geting milk for wyver is hard and   wyver milk dos not last long sow in this way y our animel will help all players in ark1  ps if it do not get in to ark 1 hop it can go to ark 2  good luck Nekatus

The bison latifrons was the ice age Buffalo and was native to North America. It was the largest bovine to ever live in North America and would travel in herds much like today's bovine. The male of the species had large horns on their head that they used during battle making them a very dangerous species to confront. The females would care for their young the same way cows today do..by producing milk. I believe this creature could be an asset to ark game play by being a secondary way of getting milk for raising babies. As a passive tame this creature would pose a challenge to any player attempting to tame one as if the bison caught the player, the horns and heavy blows from kicks could prove fatal.

herd.jpeg

On 1/14/2023 at 8:27 AM, GP said:

Don't treat the community as sheep.

Everyone, regardless of who they are (unless they are a Wildcard employee) can submit a creature and share that with the community. They can share it on Twitter, Discord, any social media platform, that is what the internet is for. That is all Nekatus has done.

Please do not attempt to stir up trouble for someone elses submission, i'm sure you would not like that in your own submission.

i'm 50/50 on what you say 
while the other guy acussing him with CAPS has no proof or whatsoever besides just wanting to trash this creature
you need to aknowledge that voting manipulation either obvious or soft has always been a thing and popularity either if its a youtuber or a streamer is an important factor. (don't want to bring the glowing squid case over again) but usually having a fanbase regardless of its size and sharing a "vote for our/my creature!" on their own social media it's not against the rules at all and it's not voting manipulation 
but certainly it's more than clear than a considerable ammount of the votes is due to the youtuber/streamer/etc popularity and that's something that you truly cannot discard.

that aside its a good creature but i don't think it's going to be either that good in pvp or pve atleast from my pov and i'm not sure what ark really needs i really would like a tlc instead of creatures taking the spotlight of what previous creatures should have been (archeopteryx getting literally powercreept by sinomacrops) 

Archived