Acinonyx: The Giant Cheetah

MiniWatto

On 1/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, MiniWatto said:

Got a bit of traction before, but I submitted it waaaay too late in the vote. Who knows, let's try again:

Extinction around the world: Giant Cheetah and Thylacosmilus | Prehistoric  wildlife, Prehistoric animals, Megafauna

Size comparison to a modern cheetah, also another camouflage possiblity:

Acinonyx pardinensis: The Need For Speed - Darwin's Door

In real life:

Acinonyx Rapidensis is based off the real-life Acinonyx Pardinensis, the ice-age giant cheetah.

Remember, my proposal is about 20% larger again than the larger cat in that image.

No custom art as I have no talent for that sort of thing, but we all know what this could look like.

The idea here is for a rapid, high melee, low-health mount, with a couple of unique abilities to make things fun. Note the taming method, a knockout tame would result in lower taming effectiveness than a whip tame.

DOSSIER:

Acinonyx Rapidensis

Wild

Acinonyx Rapidensis is another ARK inhabitant that I would date to the early Pleistocene, though it is notably larger than any species of Acinonyx discovered in the fossil record by about 20%. Immediately recognisable by any safari-goer as a cheetah, Acinonyx has a thicker coat of fur than the modern Acinonyx Jubatus, as well as more pronounced leg muscles.

It is a hunter unmatched in speed aboard the ARK, able even on occasion to catch Gallimimus when not running in a straight line. They are solitary ambush predators, and will frequently wait, motionless and well camouflaged amongst the ARK's abundance of flora, for potential prey to stray too close. At this point, they rapidly accelerate to full speed and commence chase, though chases do not usually last long.

If Acinonyx succeeds in impacting an opponent, its high speed will frequently cause smaller targets to stumble, slowing them for a few seconds and, in the case of humans, causing them to drop whatever they are carrying in their hands.

Taming

While Acinonyx can be tamed via traditional knockout methods, their high metabolism and great running speed can make this difficult, as they rapidly recover torpor and are near impossible to catch should they flee. It is more practical and effective to tame Acinonyx without the use of tranquilizers. A wild Acinonyx can be stopped in its tracks mid-charge by using a whip, at which point a would-be tamer can slowly approach and feed the creature. While it will back off at first, after a few feeds it will become a loyal companion. Beware though, as using a whip while it is not charging is certain to anger it to the point of attack.

Domesticated

Many tribes consider Acinonyx to be the next logical step with regard to taming after Gallimimus. Almost as fast, with a far greater ability to defend itself from attack, it is an excellent choice for the solo explorer who does not want to sacrifice power for speed. Some, however, believe its frailness compared to mounts of similar size, such as the Direwolves, is not made up for by its high speed and endurance, as well as only being able to carry one passenger to the Gallimimus' three.

Acinonyx's speed is an invaluable asset on its own, but when domesticated they can be trained to run even faster. Assuming the creature's stamina pool is sufficient, they can, for a brief period, achieve a burst of speed up to 50% faster than their typical running speed, though this will drain their stamina extremely quickly. Doing this allows the rider to utilise the ability to stumble and disarm foes that wild Acinonyx can be observed using during hunts.

As with modern cheetahs, Acinonyx maintain their ability to turn quickly at high speed by spinning their tail. Doing this with a tamed Acinonyx allows the user to make sharp right angled and even full U-turns near instantly, taking any pursuing parties by surprise and certainly putting off their aim.

Lemme know your thoughts I guess, if you have any!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your creature isn't bad, my only observation would be that, instead of disarming the opponent, we might as well have him unseated from the mount which, while he runs away scared, the big cat can tear the player to pieces in complete tranquility, a bit like for raptors. the same could be true for small to medium sized creatures.

2 hours ago, TigerBlossom said:

The Giant Cheetah gets my vote.

I hope to see this one make it in the game.

We need more Mammals and especially this one to get from A to B on land quickly.

Welldone to the creator of this one! :)

i personally feel that more arthropods are needed considering that the previous 2 creature vote winners were both mammals

por lo menos para mi parece una copia semi exacta del Andrewsarchus salvo por el hecho que este tiene mas vida y una montura unica pues puede derrapar en U, puede usar sus cargas para avanzar mas rapido que casi cualquier criatura, tiene una mordida potente y su armadura le da mucha proteccion y daño adicional de la torreta. Aparte, eso haria que ya casi nadie use el Gallimimus (aunque casi no conozco a nadie) pero lo que si me gusto es el aumento de un 50% de velocidad pero sera tardado controlar su movilidad 

At least for me it looks like a semi-exact copy of the Andrewsarchus except for the fact that it has more life and a unique mount because it can skid in U, it can use its loads to advance faster than almost any creature, it has a powerful bite and its armor gives it a lot of protection and additional damage from the turret. Besides, that would make almost no one use Gallimimus anymore (although I hardly know anyone) but what I did like is the 50% increase in speed but it will take time to control its mobility

10 minutes ago, enderspy0007 said:

por lo menos para mi parece una copia semi exacta del Andrewsarchus salvo por el hecho que este tiene mas vida y una montura unica pues puede derrapar en U, puede usar sus cargas para avanzar mas rapido que casi cualquier criatura, tiene una mordida potente y su armadura le da mucha proteccion y daño adicional de la torreta. Aparte, eso haria que ya casi nadie use el Gallimimus (aunque casi no conozco a nadie) pero lo que si me gusto es el aumento de un 50% de velocidad pero sera tardado controlar su movilidad 

At least for me it looks like a semi-exact copy of the Andrewsarchus except for the fact that it has more life and a unique mount because it can skid in U, it can use its loads to advance faster than almost any creature, it has a powerful bite and its armor gives it a lot of protection and additional damage from the turret. Besides, that would make almost no one use Gallimimus anymore (although I hardly know anyone) but what I did like is the 50% increase in speed but it will take time to control its mobility

Unsure what you mean by armour and turret..? I didn't suggest those and I don't think anyone else did either. Its saddle would be quite normal and it would have low health.

When people say apex predator they're first thought is likely of some big cat, cause that's exactly what cats are; one of the most efficient killers on the planet, and that's why ark needs a second one. The other big cat in the top 10 doesn't seem much different than the saber and thyla so this one gets my vote along with super goat. Plus cheetah are just too adorable.

1 hour ago, Tiddlywinkly said:

When people say apex predator they're first thought is likely of some big cat, cause that's exactly what cats are; one of the most efficient killers on the planet, and that's why ark needs a second one. The other big cat in the top 10 doesn't seem much different than the saber and thyla so this one gets my vote along with super goat. Plus cheetah are just too adorable.

My first thought when someone says apex predator is the Trex, and the most efficient and successful cat is also one of the smallest, the Black Footed Cat

5 hours ago, Tiddlywinkly said:

agree :)  but the thyla is not a cat. its a marsupials and are related to the kangaroo. so we really only have one true cat in game. the shadowmane is not really a cat either. love cats :)  really hope it make it in game, 

On 13/01/2023 at 23:03, MazdaTiger said:

Não espere que as meta-informações acabem no jogo final

lembra do "macaco com armas"?

It would be very interesting if:
passively: standing still, she would lay down and automatically enter camouflage, when the victim passes, she attacks causing extra damage and slowing.

I know this may not seem as a refreshing option to most players but honestly to me I love this and feel it is refreshing to see as an option. I personally love exploring a map on smaller mounts like a ptero, raptor, wolf for example to be more engaging with the map itself and fit where others don't entirely fit. This would definitely excite me in having a go to mount for scouting areas and even with the lower health aspect this critter is unlikely to get stuck on things and just destroyed. People are mentioning real life aspects of cheetahs so in a sense that they go to higher places to scout terrain might be something wildcard could include but I know some other creatures already do this. But having a go to exploring/scouting creature that can traverse tight fitting and steep rocky terrain as a cheetah could would be really cool to see wildcard polish and hone.

I know the raptor has a call, so it would be cool to see if the cheetah could do a chirp or call as they do in reality to be able to maybe keep up with tribe members also riding the same creature help pin point your tribe mates by maybe an arrow or putting a symbol above their head? Or even go with world of warcraft's idea of giving a pack/party bonus in speed by 10-20% even.

I think A LOT could be done with this creature to make it more than what it would seem. It really could be a useful, go to tool. I appreciate seeing this suggested.

Archived