Acinonyx: The Giant Cheetah

MiniWatto

Got a bit of traction before, but I submitted it waaaay too late in the vote. Who knows, let's try again:

Extinction around the world: Giant Cheetah and Thylacosmilus | Prehistoric  wildlife, Prehistoric animals, Megafauna

Size comparison to a modern cheetah, also another camouflage possiblity:

Acinonyx pardinensis: The Need For Speed - Darwin's Door

In real life:

Acinonyx Rapidensis is based off the real-life Acinonyx Pardinensis, the ice-age giant cheetah.

Remember, my proposal is about 20% larger again than the larger cat in that image.

No custom art as I have no talent for that sort of thing, but we all know what this could look like.

The idea here is for a rapid, high melee, low-health mount, with a couple of unique abilities to make things fun. Note the taming method, a knockout tame would result in lower taming effectiveness than a whip tame.

DOSSIER:

Acinonyx Rapidensis

Wild

Acinonyx Rapidensis is another ARK inhabitant that I would date to the early Pleistocene, though it is notably larger than any species of Acinonyx discovered in the fossil record by about 20%. Immediately recognisable by any safari-goer as a cheetah, Acinonyx has a thicker coat of fur than the modern Acinonyx Jubatus, as well as more pronounced leg muscles.

It is a hunter unmatched in speed aboard the ARK, able even on occasion to catch Gallimimus when not running in a straight line. They are solitary ambush predators, and will frequently wait, motionless and well camouflaged amongst the ARK's abundance of flora, for potential prey to stray too close. At this point, they rapidly accelerate to full speed and commence chase, though chases do not usually last long.

If Acinonyx succeeds in impacting an opponent, its high speed will frequently cause smaller targets to stumble, slowing them for a few seconds and, in the case of humans, causing them to drop whatever they are carrying in their hands.

Taming

While Acinonyx can be tamed via traditional knockout methods, their high metabolism and great running speed can make this difficult, as they rapidly recover torpor and are near impossible to catch should they flee. It is more practical and effective to tame Acinonyx without the use of tranquilizers. A wild Acinonyx can be stopped in its tracks mid-charge by using a whip, at which point a would-be tamer can slowly approach and feed the creature. While it will back off at first, after a few feeds it will become a loyal companion. Beware though, as using a whip while it is not charging is certain to anger it to the point of attack.

Domesticated

Many tribes consider Acinonyx to be the next logical step with regard to taming after Gallimimus. Almost as fast, with a far greater ability to defend itself from attack, it is an excellent choice for the solo explorer who does not want to sacrifice power for speed. Some, however, believe its frailness compared to mounts of similar size, such as the Direwolves, is not made up for by its high speed and endurance, as well as only being able to carry one passenger to the Gallimimus' three.

Acinonyx's speed is an invaluable asset on its own, but when domesticated they can be trained to run even faster. Assuming the creature's stamina pool is sufficient, they can, for a brief period, achieve a burst of speed up to 50% faster than their typical running speed, though this will drain their stamina extremely quickly. Doing this allows the rider to utilise the ability to stumble and disarm foes that wild Acinonyx can be observed using during hunts.

As with modern cheetahs, Acinonyx maintain their ability to turn quickly at high speed by spinning their tail. Doing this with a tamed Acinonyx allows the user to make sharp right angled and even full U-turns near instantly, taking any pursuing parties by surprise and certainly putting off their aim.

Lemme know your thoughts I guess, if you have any!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to add game meta details:

• High melee, low health makes it great for ambushes, the cheetah's strength. In prolonged combat it would be little match for things like direwolves, as its designed to be an alpha-strike glass-cannon, not a durable war-mount.
  • Stunning/disarming humans would be useful, but difficult, requiring a successful charge ambush. Could possibly make this less powerful by adding a "dodge" like one uses against aberrant raptors.
  • The ability to make rapid u-turns and right-angled turns would be great for evasion, thus suiting Acinonyx to more cautious combat playstyles.
  • Can pet da kitty.

16 minutes ago, MiniWatto said:

Forgot to add game meta details:

• High melee, low health makes it great for ambushes, the cheetah's strength. In prolonged combat it would be little match for things like direwolves, as its designed to be an alpha-strike glass-cannon, not a durable war-mount.
  • Stunning/disarming humans would be useful, but difficult, requiring a successful charge ambush. Could possibly make this less powerful by adding a "dodge" like one uses against aberrant raptors.
  • The ability to make rapid u-turns and right-angled turns would be great for evasion, thus suiting Acinonyx to more cautious combat playstyles.
  • Can pet da kitty.

Don't expect meta info will end up in the final game

remember the "monkey with guns"?

Just now, MazdaTiger said:

Don't expect meta info will end up in the final game

remember the "monkey with guns"?

I know, but they did ask for suggestions and it's just spitballing. Besides, I think this is a bit less powerful than a gun-toting primate lol. I wouldn't expect them to take all or necessarily any suggestions, it's just to help solidify ideas.

My thoughts on the cheetah I was going to submit:

It's a "living bolas". It would have the speed/dash charge and when it hits medium/small creatures with it, it causes a trip/stun (knocking them down as if they were bolas and leaving them momentarily stunned for a short time). If a creature were being ridden, the rider would be dismounted. This could be used for taming then if you tripped a wild animal and then ran back and actually applied a bolas or trap around it to then tame the animal. Or, of course, for PVP to trip up enemy mounts in "drive-by" attacks.

The cheetah would also have a tek saddle available that would be used for extended dashes (I'm picturing a muzzle on the saddle that would cover the animal's face to supply continued oxygen and energy intake and possibly small jet boosts by the back haunches). This would help the animal regain stamina faster and perhaps make you go slightly faster, but most importantly it would allow the bolas attack to affect LARGE creatures! (Let's trip up a Rex!)

Once a creature is "stunned" by the trip attack, the cheetah could latch on for a set amount of time (remaining stamina?) to then damage the stunned creature just like how cheetahs trip and then suffocate animals in real life hunts. This could be similar to how the thyla scratches anything they pounce and pin, though not nearly as damaging since the cheetahs aren't as strong and tough as thyla would be. But a similar "successful hit and then secondary attack".

The cheetah could be a racer for fun/RP players. It should have an excellent maneuverability at high speeds unlike the bear and rhino that can't turn (cheetahs turn on a dime irl!).

I imagine them similar size to a sabertooth, but they, to be true to a cheetah, should have smaller base health and either smaller base stamina or a slower stamina recharge. Once cheetahs do a sprint it takes them awhile to regain energy for another try, irl. Alternatively, there could, of course, be a cool-down on the dash ability. I believe they'd be a good smaller mount with a specific utility that could be used for both PVE and PVP but they, like cheetahs are, would be frail and thus you'd have to make sure you weren't under attack for long because you'd be squishy.

I also think it would be cool if, like the random wild blue doedicrus that spawn, if there was a chance that a wild one would spawn with "king cheetah" patterns with the bigger spot blotches instead of just normal spot patterns.

6 hours ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

My thoughts on the cheetah I was going to submit:

It's a "living bolas". It would have the speed/dash charge and when it hits medium/small creatures with it, it causes a trip/stun (knocking them down as if they were bolas and leaving them momentarily stunned for a short time). If a creature were being ridden, the rider would be dismounted. This could be used for taming then if you tripped a wild animal and then ran back and actually applied a bolas or trap around it to then tame the animal. Or, of course, for PVP to trip up enemy mounts in "drive-by" attacks.

The cheetah would also have a tek saddle available that would be used for extended dashes (I'm picturing a muzzle on the saddle that would cover the animal's face to supply continued oxygen and energy intake and possibly small jet boosts by the back haunches). This would help the animal regain stamina faster and perhaps make you go slightly faster, but most importantly it would allow the bolas attack to affect LARGE creatures! (Let's trip up a Rex!)

Once a creature is "stunned" by the trip attack, the cheetah could latch on for a set amount of time (remaining stamina?) to then damage the stunned creature just like how cheetahs trip and then suffocate animals in real life hunts. This could be similar to how the thyla scratches anything they pounce and pin, though not nearly as damaging since the cheetahs aren't as strong and tough as thyla would be. But a similar "successful hit and then secondary attack".

The cheetah could be a racer for fun/RP players. It should have an excellent maneuverability at high speeds unlike the bear and rhino that can't turn (cheetahs turn on a dime irl!).

I imagine them similar size to a sabertooth, but they, to be true to a cheetah, should have smaller base health and either smaller base stamina or a slower stamina recharge. Once cheetahs do a sprint it takes them awhile to regain energy for another try, irl. Alternatively, there could, of course, be a cool-down on the dash ability. I believe they'd be a good smaller mount with a specific utility that could be used for both PVE and PVP but they, like cheetahs are, would be frail and thus you'd have to make sure you weren't under attack for long because you'd be squishy.

I also think it would be cool if, like the random wild blue doedicrus that spawn, if there was a chance that a wild one would spawn with "king cheetah" patterns with the bigger spot blotches instead of just normal spot patterns.

The King cheetah variant is a great idea, always love variations in creatures' aesthetics.

We both seem to appreciate the idea of a stun, which makes sense as an ambush predator, though I'm not sure about large creatures, tripping up a rex might be overkill. Perhaps just make them stumble briefly, rather than a full-on stun or dismount.

I'd probably picture them bigger than a sabretooth, but definitely a touch smaller than a direwolf. I think that size niche fits it perfectly.

I feel like you've basically thought up my dream blitz combat creature and with the "tripping up" suggestion, I think it'd be invaluable to add mechanics for fast paced movements in the horizontal plane, like the mechanics of a Tape, only on ground. That way it'll be easier to dodge and move around in ground combat. Say someone was about to use a lance or a microraptor was coming at you. You jump to the side at the last second, or redirect your movement to avoid it. It might be along the meta gameplay that had been posted.

52 minutes ago, Nateman364 said:

I feel like you've basically thought up my dream blitz combat creature and with the "tripping up" suggestion, I think it'd be invaluable to add mechanics for fast paced movements in the horizontal plane, like the mechanics of a Tape, only on ground. That way it'll be easier to dodge and move around in ground combat. Say someone was about to use a lance or a microraptor was coming at you. You jump to the side at the last second, or redirect your movement to avoid it. It might be along the meta gameplay that had been posted.

Yeah, definitely a way to make navigation easier. Perhaps while in the 'super-fast' high stamina-burn mode, the camera could zoom out and full WASD controls could allow for acceleration, braking, and 'hops' left and right, while also allowing for the right-angled and u-turns.

Definitely a thought! Thanks for the ideas!

I had a concept for Acinonyx too. I gave them immense speed, like equal to the Death Dodo in UGZ's JP mod. But in addition I also gave them an ability that might cause lag but is still cool. A speed power jump. They will be able to pounce at immense speed for a great distance in a certain direction for hundreds of meters, even into the sky and land with no fall damage. 

2 hours ago, Almultimavenger said:

I had a concept for Acinonyx too. I gave them immense speed, like equal to the Death Dodo in UGZ's JP mod. But in addition I also gave them an ability that might cause lag but is still cool. A speed power jump. They will be able to pounce at immense speed for a great distance in a certain direction for hundreds of meters, even into the sky and land with no fall damage. 

Hundreds of metres might be a bit over the top, but long distance pounces are certainly fitting. As a cat, fall damage resistance is also applicable, though total immunity may be a bit strong.

17 hours ago, MiniWatto said:

The King cheetah variant is a great idea, always love variations in creatures' aesthetics.

We both seem to appreciate the idea of a stun, which makes sense as an ambush predator, though I'm not sure about large creatures, tripping up a rex might be overkill. Perhaps just make them stumble briefly, rather than a full-on stun or dismount.

I'd probably picture them bigger than a sabretooth, but definitely a touch smaller than a direwolf. I think that size niche fits it perfectly.

Yeah, the rex might be too much with the tek saddle but maybe with the saddle allos or something, whereas without the saddle it would be more like normal things you can bolas and whatnot. Maybe something like the bolas/chain bolas comparison? But definitely a stun of sorts! Cheetahs are my favorite animal so I'd love to see them...though they're such fragile kitties lol. But I want a pretty zoom zoom kitty! (also, YES I LOVE YOUR IDEA WE COULD PET IT! We need to be able to pet more of our precious tames!)

Mm, that sizing makes sense too! At least definitely taller than the sabertooth, but smaller overall compared to the direwolf since they should be leaner.

5 hours ago, LittleSpicyOreos said:

Yeah, the rex might be too much with the tek saddle but maybe with the saddle allos or something, whereas without the saddle it would be more like normal things you can bolas and whatnot. Maybe something like the bolas/chain bolas comparison? But definitely a stun of sorts! Cheetahs are my favorite animal so I'd love to see them...though they're such fragile kitties lol. But I want a pretty zoom zoom kitty! (also, YES I LOVE YOUR IDEA WE COULD PET IT! We need to be able to pet more of our precious tames!)

Mm, that sizing makes sense too! At least definitely taller than the sabertooth, but smaller overall compared to the direwolf since they should be leaner.

Yeah I was wary of making it too OP, especially for one of ARK’s non-fantasy creatures.

It could be cool if the stun literally made creatures fall over, i.e go into their knockout animation but not actually fall asleep. Would be a nice way to buy time as well without just having an arbitrary timer.

Honestly this has my vote altough I expect it not to win i hope it does also i have an idea for an “/dash/quikdash/“ ability to make it even more mobile to make up for its low hp id say its in similar to dire wolf height but its probably longer from left to right als a bit skinnier, the dash is s ability where it can dash behind to the left,forwards or to the right. It has 3 charged in total just like the andrewscharcus has upto 3 charges with his speed up, the dash regains over time. I like this to be like a dodge kinda ability from enemy attacks 

5 hours ago, MiniWatto said:

Yeah I was wary of making it too OP, especially for one of ARK’s non-fantasy creatures.

It could be cool if the stun literally made creatures fall over, i.e go into their knockout animation but not actually fall asleep. Would be a nice way to buy time as well without just having an arbitrary timer.

I mightve missed if you already mentioned this but what about a little extra or different ability where it can “pounce” on smaller animals with its 2 front paws it can bite while the dino is being pounced(like a raptor) a bleed maybe too, a latch(you already mentioned) would be really dope aswell.oh and a pack bonus from 3 till 5 cheetahs. It pack boost gives it increases speed,damage and maybe only the alpha can do bleeding basic attacks or only the alpha can latch

4 minutes ago, Darthvengence said:

I mightve missed if you already mentioned this but what about a little extra or different ability where it can “pounce” on smaller animals with its 2 front paws it can bite while the dino is being pounced(like a raptor) a bleed maybe too, a latch(you already mentioned) would be really dope aswell.oh and a pack bonus from 3 till 5 cheetahs. It pack boost gives it increases speed,damage and maybe only the alpha can do bleeding basic attacks or only the alpha can latch

All could be interesting, but I think the stumble/latch mechanic is best suited to it. I don't think pouncing would be popular if a wild one could do it(remember when raptors got that?) but tamed it would be cool. I also don't wanna see it have every ability and be OP lol.

I dunno about a pack buff, lots of things have it and it could work, but cheetahs are usually solitary creatures. You do get occasional groups (the most famous being the 3 brothers at Lewa, in Kenya), but they are usually solitary or only in small groups when they're males.

Ooh, perhaps males could get an up to +2 pack buff, and females could get a rivalry buff if others are around? Food for thought...

12 minutes ago, Darthvengence said:

Honestly this has my vote altough I expect it not to win i hope it does also i have an idea for an “/dash/quikdash/“ ability to make it even more mobile to make up for its low hp id say its in similar to dire wolf height but its probably longer from left to right als a bit skinnier, the dash is s ability where it can dash behind to the left,forwards or to the right. It has 3 charged in total just like the andrewscharcus has upto 3 charges with his speed up, the dash regains over time. I like this to be like a dodge kinda ability from enemy attacks 

Sadly I'd agree, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on the Gorgonopsid, as it's a brilliant creature idea and been called for for years, tbh I wouldn't be upset at all if it won.

I'm not a fan of the bison or goat, just not my style, as for the flyer..... Eh I think we have enough flyers, too many and I think the sky would be too full. It is cool though, jsut not to my taste.

27 minutes ago, MegaCroissantemance said:

Are we all just gonna collectively forget how useless this would be anywhere except the flattest desert on ragnarok?

you’d hit a rock every 3 seconds and get stuck. We don’t have many ridiculously fast land creatures for a reason, they’re a pain in the ass to use

That's exactly what the manoeuvrability and dodge mechanics discussed would be for.

Also that's kinda an intentional weakness that mirrors a weakness that real cheetahs have? It shouldn't be crazy strong in all biomes, forests would be particularly difficult for it. But there are plenty of areas in ARK that have few enough obstacles it would be useful.

Archived