Helicoprion - Saw Shark

NeoVanilluxe

Suggestion

Helicoprion was a medium-large to large shark relative from the Permian period, that went extinct during the  Great Dying mass extinction. It has a circular tooth whorl on its bottom jaw and used it to cut and tear its prey. They were most likely loners, but came together in breeding grounds during their mating season. Helicoprion's closest living relative is the Ratfish, or Chimera, which is a small, cute shark relative.

Helicoprion would be musch faster than the Megalodon, and would give a bleed status affect. It would be a great harvester of organic polymer, hide, and keratin. I think it should have a pack boost capping at +2 other Helicoprion.  It would have a leap movement, and a "suffocation" meter so it can flop around on land for a short time, to drag Kairuku down to the water and drown them. (hence organic polymer harvester).

To tame them you would need to find their eggs in sandpiles underwater on the ocean floor, similar to the Genesis 1 retrieval missions, and similar to the wyvern and rock drake egg-stealing mechanic. 

Art: ARK's Helicoprion would have patterning to a chimera. (Art by me)

helicoprion_new_unwatermarked.png 

26 replies to this server topic

The Helicorpion is a deadly shark-like creature sharing similarities with the Megalodon asode from the back fin and those distinct teeth that are the spawn of nightmares. If a survivor should mistaken this monster for a Megalodon, they’re in for a much nastier surprise.
The Helicorpion isn’t designed to be a direct replacement for the Megalodon, instead it focuses more on using those deadly rotary incisors to sliver and shred prime meat from the mightier titans of the ocean like the Tusoteuthis and the Leedsycthis. This on top of using those to bleed out tougher prey makes it a savage predator for any survivor fortunate enough to tame it.
Those teeth can give it a stranglehold on larger prey and often makes the jump on fleshier targets like the Tusoteuthis and tends to steer away of the more durable Mosasaurus and Dunklosteus.
On top of that, those teeth can be used to grind up and shred even the toughest of Flak armor to fine shrapnel, to which it could use to make its deadly teeth even more effective, or if taught properly by survivors, could grind up unwanted materials survivors may not wish to carry.

the taming methods is up to wildcard as well as mechanics but I imagine this tame being a tough one especially due to its aggression, I hope you all enjoyed the idea! 

0744B44C-5411-416F-B179-8BADE30C417C.webp

Name: Helicoprion

Diet: Carnivore/Picivore

size : 7.5 meters/ 25 feet

Helicoprion is one of the stranger 'sharks' in the fossil record,‭ ‬although at the time that Helicoprion swam the oceans there were actually many sharks that did not conform to the‭ '‬standard‭' ‬form that we know today.‭ ‬The majority of the remains of this shark are the teeth which are fossilised in a spiral pattern like the shell of an ammonite,‭ ‬in fact when first discovered these fossils were actually thought to be some kind of exotic ammonite shell.‭ ‬These arrangements of fossil teeth are today referred to as a‭ '‬tooth-whorl‭'‬.‭

Ability:

Because of it’s tooth-whorl it would cause bleeding damage to it’s opponent. 
As another ability it would be a great underwater farmer. Using it’s strong jaw it would be able to crush even hard shells, making it a good black pearl  harvester, tooth whorl could be also used as chainsaw to farm wood and meat efficiently under water. Weight reduction of 50% on wood , 75% on black pearls. Possibility to grab small dinos and humans and increase damage of 10% due to his tooth whorl . 

Tooth-whorl

1st stance ( chain saw ) that would be the farming stance for wood and ability to deshelling increase dmg to shell dinos like carbonemys , ammonite and etc. 

2nd stance ( whip ) the Helicoprion would stretch his tooth whorl and be able to whip players of their raiders like megaladon , tusoteuthis and etc. 

Would be a great addition if we would ever get a water map in ARK i know there was talks about it , I don’t know if would a water map comes along, due to the hard work WC is putting into ARK2 but even if they don’t would still be amazing dinos to be added to ARK

1DCF34CF-9C1C-4223-9739-89BCCD64A4AA.thumb.jpeg.9cbba34cdf5efc8616d7d27d671e4206.jpeg9C207528-B085-4069-A717-4CF0941E96DA.jpeg.aec7bfd7cff37ebbbf6a7ea516bbdea1.jpeg

On 1/17/2023 at 4:26 AM, MaidenMonarch said:

1409547425_ArkContestSubmissionHelicoprionConceptfinalmaybe.thumb.jpg.dc2e4f938d7f6fe2e2ffc37979cf18b5.jpg

INTODUCTION

This is my take on H. Davisii, a species of Helicoprion shark that existed mostly within the Permian Period. My main Inspiration for this creature came from tropical fish patterns and wanting to incorporate the almost unreal fossils that are the tooth whorls. (Also the fact that Ark could use more sea creatures!) I really wanted to bring the fossil to life and show an eye-popping appearance while staying within the realm of possibility. My real-world research and information came mostly from this wiki article: Helicoprion - Wikipedia 

COMMON NAME-    Helicoprion

SPECIES-    H. Davisii

TIME-   Early to Mid-Permian

TEMPERAMENT-   Aggressive

WILD

A lurking ocean predator, H. Davisii, otherwise known as the Helicoprion, is infamously characterized by the formation of unique "tooth whorls". These tooth whorls appear to be adapted for snagging prey and holding onto them, causing a devasting, movement hindering bleed and dealing damage as its prey is sawed into and dragged through the water. Similar to the Pirahna, H. Davisii swarm to attack injured victims, making them a nightmare for the wounded. Even though this creature rivals Megalodon in size, it has the capability to take on prey much larger than itself.

DOMESTICATED

If one can be tamed H. Davisii is a cornerstone of oceanic exploration, equally capable of protecting its rider and taking on the burden of undersea resources. Because of their unique jaw structure, H. Davisii can crack the shells of aquatic critters like nothing else, gathering more chitin, keratin, and black pearls. Because of this evolutionary proficiency, the weight of black pearls is even reduced while riding!

When under threat, H. Davisii can employ either hit-and-run tactics, or latch-and-dispatch. Whichever tactic is needed, H. Davisii can efficiently and quickly end the fight.

ABILITY MECHANICS

1. Has the ability to deal bleed damage, slowing down the victim.
  2. Increased chitin, keratin, and black pearl harvesting from killing creatures like the eurypterid.
  3. Reduced weight capabilities when carrying black pearls.
  4.  Able to uncurl its tooth whorl to latch and carry small or mid-sized creatures like turtles, ichthyosaurus, megalodon, etc. through the water. Deals chew damage like the Megalosaurus when carrying. If the creature is too big to carry, can employ a mechanic like deinonychus to latch on and chew, though you would only be stationary while attacking. (Can cancel the latch at any time).
  5. Gets a buff when killing shelled creatures, dealing more damage to them.

Thank you all for your support and for taking the time to look at my design! I appreciate it!

If you would, please consider voting for it! ❤️

Is soo cool man

Helicoprion is an extinct genus of cartilaginous fish of the shark-like order Eugeneodontiformes that first arose in Late Carboniferous oceans and survived the Permian–Triassic mass extinction, eventually becoming extinct in the Late Triassic about 225 million years ago. of years. these large marine predators will be the leaders of the food chain. they will attack in groups of 5 or more, their bite will cause 5% bleeding. for each helicoprion in the pack they will have a buff of 10% resistance and 5% more damage, the buff will be represented with a violet aura and a change in skin color to lighter and with hieroglyphic-type marks which will have a shine Phosphorescent in the dark, in a domesticated herd the helicoprion with the highest stats will be designated as an alpha which will have 20% more residence and 15% more damage. wild alphas cannot be tamed.images.jpeg.ba8484d4f94bd3d296acff610592f4f1.jpeg

1 minute ago, DeliaHaze20 said:

no ark additions already has one so you can't. lol

this is the exact same thing i posted for the last two votes both of which existed long before the ark additions helicoprion was added, its nothing like the ark additions helicoprion and its my own original ideas. its not like im posting the ark additions acrocanthosaurus in this thread and saying it should be added like some people did before, lol. theres also other existing mods with helicoprion in them that arent ark additions

2 hours ago, NeoVanilluxe said:

this is the exact same thing i posted for the last two votes both of which existed long before the ark additions helicoprion was added, its nothing like the ark additions helicoprion and its my own original ideas. its not like im posting the ark additions acrocanthosaurus in this thread and saying it should be added like some people did before, lol. theres also other existing mods with helicoprion in them that arent ark additions

its already a mod.

Everyone complaining about Ark Additions, but people forget some things:

• Console doesn't have mods. They don't care if Ark Additions exists.
  • It's a real animal, Garuga has no monopoly over them.
  • The guidelines only say: "Developers are disqualified from posting their own ideas", so all it really says is that Garuga cannot post it himself.

This submission is fair game, whether Ark Additions has it already or not.

Just now, DeliaHaze20 said:

and it got delete so ya.

That was the modder's choice iirc.

I personally think this is a nice suggestion. Ark needs more sea creatures, and not everyone gets to enjoy the additions from mods like those who play on Steam do. And even those that play on PC, might not even like the mod it's from. I don't based on its file-size alone lol

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Anything from a mod is fair game. As long as it was a real creature.

^this. All this.

2 hours ago, JessHawke said:

That was the modder's choice iirc.

I personally think this is a nice suggestion. Ark needs more sea creatures, and not everyone gets to enjoy the additions from mods like those who play on Steam do. And even those that play on PC, might not even like the mod it's from. I don't based on its file-size alone lol

^this. All this.

it was not a choice by the way im in the community he had to delete it it would conflict with the official one so he had to.

1409547425_ArkContestSubmissionHelicoprionConceptfinalmaybe.thumb.jpg.dc2e4f938d7f6fe2e2ffc37979cf18b5.jpg

INTODUCTION

This is my take on H. Davisii, a species of Helicoprion shark that existed mostly within the Permian Period. My main Inspiration for this creature came from tropical fish patterns and wanting to incorporate the almost unreal fossils that are the tooth whorls. (Also the fact that Ark could use more sea creatures!) I really wanted to bring the fossil to life and show an eye-popping appearance while staying within the realm of possibility. My real-world research and information came mostly from this wiki article: Helicoprion - Wikipedia 

COMMON NAME-    Helicoprion

SPECIES-    H. Davisii

TIME-   Early to Mid-Permian

TEMPERAMENT-   Aggressive

WILD

A lurking ocean predator, H. Davisii, otherwise known as the Helicoprion, is infamously characterized by the formation of unique "tooth whorls". These tooth whorls appear to be adapted for snagging prey and holding onto them, causing a devasting, movement hindering bleed and dealing damage as its prey is sawed into and dragged through the water. Similar to the Pirahna, H. Davisii swarm to attack injured victims, making them a nightmare for the wounded. Even though this creature rivals Megalodon in size, it has the capability to take on prey much larger than itself.

DOMESTICATED

If one can be tamed H. Davisii is a cornerstone of oceanic exploration, equally capable of protecting its rider and taking on the burden of undersea resources. Because of their unique jaw structure, H. Davisii can crack the shells of aquatic critters like nothing else, gathering more chitin, keratin, and black pearls. Because of this evolutionary proficiency, the weight of black pearls is even reduced while riding!

When under threat, H. Davisii can employ either hit-and-run tactics, or latch-and-dispatch. Whichever tactic is needed, H. Davisii can efficiently and quickly end the fight.

ABILITY MECHANICS

1. Has the ability to deal bleed damage, slowing down the victim.
  2. Increased chitin, keratin, and black pearl harvesting from killing creatures like the eurypterid.
  3. Reduced weight capabilities when carrying black pearls.
  4.  Able to uncurl its tooth whorl to latch and carry small or mid-sized creatures like turtles, ichthyosaurus, megalodon, etc. through the water. Deals chew damage like the Megalosaurus when carrying. If the creature is too big to carry, can employ a mechanic like deinonychus to latch on and chew, though you would only be stationary while attacking. (Can cancel the latch at any time).
  5. Gets a buff when killing shelled creatures, dealing more damage to them.

Thank you all for your support and for taking the time to look at my design! I appreciate it!

If you would, please consider voting for it! ❤️

18 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Anything from a mod is fair game. As long as it was a real creature.

is there a chance that i can get this submission straight up deleted? if someone else wants to submit helicoprion thats their choice but it has no chance of winning, considering its already a mod and i want to submit something else 💔

Archived