Helpful Tips and Tricks

ObstinateSparrow

I thought I'd start a thread where we can share all sorts of tips and tricks for Ark on Switch.  As of patch 2.0.4, there are still a few bugs, mostly minor.  (Mostly.)  I'll share a few things I've noticed.  I play exclusively on Singleplayer, so I don't know the issues facing servers, or if these tips will work on them.  I hope they do.

If you build a Preserving Bin on a Raft, it will actually turn cooked meat into jerky, but it won't if placed on the ground.  Conversely, crops planted on a raft will NOT grow, but those on the ground will (even though they will sometimes be invisible).

Speaking of invisible, when resources respawn during a play session, they'll be invisible.  So if you run into an invisible object, it's probably a tree or rock that respawned.  Though invisible, they can be harvested normally.  Ending the play session and logging back in makes the resources visible again.

Composting Bins don't work, but Dung Beetles not only work, but work much better!

The structure limit for a given area is 1450.  This is smaller than on other platforms, and is limiting.  However, there are ways to build cool structures without using as many pieces.  Large walls come to mind.  Save anything purely decorative until the final stages of the build.  If they don't fit, at least they weren't essential.

The only major gripes I have are that Tree Sap Taps and Beer Barrels don't work yet.  Other than that, the game is excellent (especially when compared to its predecessor!).

• 3 weeks later...

(Version 2.0.5) Happy to report that Tree Sap Taps now work!  Unfortunately, the Preserving Bins and Compost Bins are still bugged.

I have confirmed that Compost Bins work perfectly as long as they are on a raft.  I plan on testing the bins (Compost and Preserving) on Platform Saddles and Ocean Platforms in the near future.  (Even though Genesis hasn't released yet, Ocean Platforms can be cheated into the game.)  A weird quirk that I've noticed is that if the Preserving Bins 'shrink' after logging out then in again, they'll work just fine, but not if they don't shrink!  (Needless to say, so far they've only shrunk when placed on rafts.)

If anyone else has noticed things that can help out other players, feel free to post!

Archived