So no more color dino events but what is still in question is what about rates?

R3asonable

WC, you have a large, LARGE community that have been loyal to you through the years, can someone in the big office let us loyal clients know if there will be rates at 2x and 3x ever again?

I still fail to see why we aren't getting the events in general, a few buttons pushed and there it is, the codes are already written so no mind bender, just some fingers to push those pretty little colorful buttons, it is sad to all of us that you are taking this away from us, it feels like an unjust punishment.

But what about rates? Are we going to end up like the Legacy servers? Abandoned and forgotten? These are not unreasonable questions especially to long time players that haven't finished the game quest/end as of yet, it will yell at new potential players though I am sure of that.

3 hours ago, R3asonable said:

WC, you have a large, LARGE community that have been loyal to you through the years, can someone in the big office let us loyal clients know if there will be rates at 2x and 3x ever again?

I still fail to see why we aren't getting the events in general, a few buttons pushed and there it is, the codes are already written so no mind bender, just some fingers to push those pretty little colorful buttons, it is sad to all of us that you are taking this away from us, it feels like an unjust punishment.

But what about rates? Are we going to end up like the Legacy servers? Abandoned and forgotten? These are not unreasonable questions especially to long time players that haven't finished the game quest/end as of yet, it will yell at new potential players though I am sure of that.

I think it would be cool if they still did events but just didnt add new content to them, OR if they released all colors possible at all times, that would be insane (in an awesome way)

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, DrxRockso said:

(why they just don’t leave the rates up is beyond me) 

They have done this twice already after the release of the game (we are now at 4X from the original rates). If they bump to 3X permanently, the player base just starts complaining about not having 4X.

I've seen it since EA in 2015.

13 hours ago, R3asonable said:

Events lead to more work than you suggest.  I know from where we sit, it seems like just a little setup.  Events bring up other issues besides selecting a holiday pack of event related items and selecting a variety of colors.

For example, crashing.  Servers will crash far more often when rates are turned up to 3x.  This crashing brings up lots of extra work;  servers crash before the event comes up, this means some have to be manually brought back online because they missed the update that went out and so they have to be configured for the event outside the script they already pushed out.  

Servers will crash more often during the event.  This leads to more lost characters and lost dinos/items.  This leads to more requests for help from the player base.

Sometimes they patch things when the events come up, this often leads to unintended bugs that have to be squashed in a tight timeframe for the event and all the players complaining they aren't getting pretty colored dinos showing up on their servers, just one example of the things that come up.

It also takes a team, some discrete number of employees, who's salaries are directed towards supporting the event.  This is resources they can't reallocate to other pressing issues they might want to tackle. 

I could probably think of a few other issues if I spent time thinking about it, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head.  * oh yea, reading Joe's comment above reminded me;  people will just then begin to complain about stale artwork and event items that they see as boring and repetitive of past events, people will expect new stuff.  That means more design and artists making new art for the events instead of artwork for the new game - again a resource issue that I mentioned already.

The simple fact is, if you play on officials - every color in the game has come out and is out there somewhere on most of the animals.   AND every color can be had through running a breeding program and saving all mutated babies that will help fill in your collection of colors.    This problem is an official server only issue, all private servers can run the events as they wish from now on.   The developers have made it painfully clear over the last 5 years that the official servers are not meant to be a core aspect of the game.  People running their own private servers with the settings of their own choosing has been the primary customer base they focused on.

Start reaching out to the other players and find the colors you are missing if it is that necessary to have the colors with zero mutations.  There are plenty of us here who have collections that are going to waste.  Find someone who has what you need, that is one of the core benefits of playing on official servers - the player base.

18 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They have done this twice already after the release of the game (we are now at 4X from the original rates). If they bump to 3X permanently, the player base just starts complaining about not having 4X.

I've seen it since EA in 2015.

You are assuming this,  it is not a fact.

10 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

Events lead to more work than you suggest.  I know from where we sit, it seems like just a little setup.  Events bring up other issues besides selecting a holiday pack of event related items and selecting a variety of colors.

For example, crashing.  Servers will crash far more often when rates are turned up to 3x.  This crashing brings up lots of extra work;  servers crash before the event comes up, this means some have to be manually brought back online because they missed the update that went out and so they have to be configured for the event outside the script they already pushed out.  

Servers will crash more often during the event.  This leads to more lost characters and lost dinos/items.  This leads to more requests for help from the player base.

Sometimes they patch things when the events come up, this often leads to unintended bugs that have to be squashed in a tight timeframe for the event and all the players complaining they aren't getting pretty colored dinos showing up on their servers, just one example of the things that come up.

It also takes a team, some discrete number of employees, who's salaries are directed towards supporting the event.  This is resources they can't reallocate to other pressing issues they might want to tackle. 

I could probably think of a few other issues if I spent time thinking about it, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head.  * oh yea, reading Joe's comment above reminded me;  people will just then begin to complain about stale artwork and event items that they see as boring and repetitive of past events, people will expect new stuff.  That means more design and artists making new art for the events instead of artwork for the new game - again a resource issue that I mentioned already.

The simple fact is, if you play on officials - every color in the game has come out and is out there somewhere on most of the animals.   AND every color can be had through running a breeding program and saving all mutated babies that will help fill in your collection of colors.    This problem is an official server only issue, all private servers can run the events as they wish from now on.   The developers have made it painfully clear over the last 5 years that the official servers are not meant to be a core aspect of the game.  People running their own private servers with the settings of their own choosing has been the primary customer base they focused on.

Start reaching out to the other players and find the colors you are missing if it is that necessary to have the colors with zero mutations.  There are plenty of us here who have collections that are going to waste.  Find someone who has what you need, that is one of the core benefits of playing on official servers - the player base.

I understand what you are saying and a lot of it makes sense that being said, that is what they have teams for, I feel the feelings of the official player base will be ignored, and you can sugar coat it any way you want to but that is the fact that we are looking at. The festive events are more than just colors, it is a feeling of excitement of preparing and discussing with others what all the event is about from colors to stats to which dino they intend to tame and raise, it goes beyond just colors, it is a common factor that we as a player base all have in common, a love for the festivities.

As far as unofficial servers, I do not like unofficial because one is dependent on the attititude of the owner of the server and of course, IF they can pay for it that month, both are very real concerns to have when going to unofficial, the power of control is a mighty weapon when one has it in their hands and unofficial servers are not below that.

35 minutes ago, R3asonable said:

I’ve been watching the forums for the last 5 years.  He isn’t guessing.  It comes up regularly.  New waves of players bring the same questions and criticisms even right after they make an adjustment.

All the holiday items will be available on the hex stores on gen1+2.  You will still be able to decorate your base and lifestyle during the holidays.

I do hope they still have 2x evo weekends. Their exiting events statements didn’t totally shut that door explicitly.

And they haven’t totally forsaken us,  did you see their latest tweet?  UE5!!!!

5 hours ago, R3asonable said:

No, it's an obvious truth based on years of watching the things people post in these forums.

It's not just ARK, it's human nature in general. Whatever you give people, they want more. As soon as something more becomes the new normal, they want even more again. That's how humans have been since the dawn of time. Not an assumption, an obvious logical conclusion based on human nature. It happens every time.

5 hours ago, R3asonable said:

I understand what you are saying and a lot of it makes sense that being said, that is what they have teams for, I feel the feelings of the official player base will be ignored, and you can sugar coat it any way you want to but that is the fact that we are looking at.

Teams cost money, and a game developer isn't going to keep paying teams to do non-profitable work on a game that's no longer their main product. What you're basically saying is, "Hey WildCard, I want you to keep spending money on ARK even if it's not making enough to pay for itself." That's a recipe for a game company to fail. But whether you like it, whether I like it or whether anyone likes it, ARK1 is going to start shrinking and the money to pay for WildCard's teams is almost certainly going to come from ARK2, so that's where they're going to spend their money on their teams. TV shows get cancelled, books and physical games go out of print, MMO's shut down, everything goes away if there's not enough income to support it.

Having said that, everything is subject to change, depending on what happens financially. If ARK2 does poorly, and if ARK1 keeps selling copies, they might do more events. If ARK were to continue selling well enough to support paying teams to run events then they might change their mind in the future, you might get your wish. But if ARK doesn't continue selling enough copies to pay for the people that support it then events will go away just like they're saying. ARK is a game, but WildCard is a business, and they're not going to pay people to do things unless those things the people do are making money.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:14 AM, GrumpyBear said:

I’ve been watching the forums for the last 5 years.  He isn’t guessing.  It comes up regularly.  New waves of players bring the same questions and criticisms even right after they make an adjustment.

All the holiday items will be available on the hex stores on gen1+2.  You will still be able to decorate your base and lifestyle during the holidays.

I do hope they still have 2x evo weekends. Their exiting events statements didn’t totally shut that door explicitly.

And they haven’t totally forsaken us,  did you see their latest tweet?  UE5!!!!

No, I don't do twitter, most social sites I don't because I find them anti-social but thanks for the info on buying things via the hex store :)

22 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

No, it's an obvious truth based on years of watching the things people post in these forums.

It's not just ARK, it's human nature in general. Whatever you give people, they want more. As soon as something more becomes the new normal, they want even more again. That's how humans have been since the dawn of time. Not an assumption, an obvious logical conclusion based on human nature. It happens every time.

Well, I wish I could argue the point but, you are right on us humans always wanting more. Sorry bub.

21 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Teams cost money, and a game developer isn't going to keep paying teams to do non-profitable work on a game that's no longer their main product. What you're basically saying is, "Hey WildCard, I want you to keep spending money on ARK even if it's not making enough to pay for itself." That's a recipe for a game company to fail. But whether you like it, whether I like it or whether anyone likes it, ARK1 is going to start shrinking and the money to pay for WildCard's teams is almost certainly going to come from ARK2, so that's where they're going to spend their money on their teams. TV shows get cancelled, books and physical games go out of print, MMO's shut down, everything goes away if there's not enough income to support it.

Having said that, everything is subject to change, depending on what happens financially. If ARK2 does poorly, and if ARK1 keeps selling copies, they might do more events. If ARK were to continue selling well enough to support paying teams to run events then they might change their mind in the future, you might get your wish. But if ARK doesn't continue selling enough copies to pay for the people that support it then events will go away just like they're saying. ARK is a game, but WildCard is a business, and they're not going to pay people to do things unless those things the people do are making money.

I get what you are saying, and it makes sense, I guess I can't throw a tantrum any longer. 

My biggest hope though is we still get rates, surely that doesn't cost money!!

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, R3asonable said:

I get what you are saying, and it makes sense, I guess I can't throw a tantrum any longer. 

My biggest hope though is we still get rates, surely that doesn't cost money!!

With them migrating to UE5 it looks like they intend on breathing a little life into Ark 1. Cross those fingers. 

47 minutes ago, R3asonable said:

No, I don't do twitter, most social sites I don't because I find them anti-social but thanks for the info on buying things via the hex store :)

hello, if it can be useful to you, in the new Ark Wiki on the main page they have inserted a window dedicated to the news posted on Twitter, in that window all the official WC messages are transcribed.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/ARK_Survival_Evolved_Wiki

(Halfway down of the page)

• Volunteer Moderator
47 minutes ago, CervantesMor said:

hello, if it can be useful to you, in the new Ark Wiki on the main page they have inserted a window dedicated to the news posted on Twitter, in that window all the official WC messages are transcribed.

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/ARK_Survival_Evolved_Wiki

(Halfway down of the page)

This is all you really need: https://developertracker.com/ark/

Archived