cross play question

PeachSalad

Hi so Ive just read cross play is only allowed with xbox if you purchase ark via the microsoft store. my pc version is via steam. so before I go downloading via the microsoft store Id like to know IF my character on xbox could then give all her stuff to my character on PC. or rather would be able to access my PC vaults if I pincode them so my xbox gal could put dinos in there. no point to cross play for me unless I could do that. And then does the microsoft version have any access to mods like the steam version does? I mean what the point of not being able to get mods when or if I want to play single player?

also Im a little confused. when I go to the microsoft store there seem to be two versions I can download to my PC for free. Im guessing this is because I own those on Xbox? in addition these PC versions all say in game purchasing. Ive never seen that on xbox or PSN. what is it I have to purchase in game? I thought only the mobile version forced people to purchase additional items such as kibble. IM kinda confused about that.

• Volunteer Moderator
29 minutes ago, PeachSalad said:

IF my character on xbox could then give all her stuff to my character on PC

No. These versions are not crossplay or in any other way compatible.

And then does the microsoft version have any access to mods like the steam version does?

No.

PC versions (Win10) all say in game purchasing

Used to be skins. Which I think haven't worked in years.

2 hours ago, PeachSalad said:

Hi so Ive just read cross play is only allowed with xbox if you purchase ark via the microsoft store. my pc version is via steam. so before I go downloading via the microsoft store Id like to know IF my character on xbox could then give all her stuff to my character on PC. or rather would be able to access my PC vaults if I pincode them so my xbox gal could put dinos in there. no point to cross play for me unless I could do that. And then does the microsoft version have any access to mods like the steam version does? I mean what the point of not being able to get mods when or if I want to play single player?

also Im a little confused. when I go to the microsoft store there seem to be two versions I can download to my PC for free. Im guessing this is because I own those on Xbox? in addition these PC versions all say in game purchasing. Ive never seen that on xbox or PSN. what is it I have to purchase in game? I thought only the mobile version forced people to purchase additional items such as kibble. IM kinda confused about that.

You probably can go and download the microsoft version on your pc using your xbox account.  If you setup your xbox as the family xbox and add extra family members to link to your xbox profile, you can have other family accounts play ark on the xbox while you play on the PC with the account that purchased Ark.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

You probably can go and download the microsoft version on your pc using your xbox account.  If you setup your xbox as the family xbox and add extra family members to link to your xbox profile, you can have other family accounts play ark on the xbox while you play on the PC with the account that purchased Ark.

You can do that. But you still can't share/move/trade items across the original Steam character and anything on Xbox/Win10(PC).

22 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You can do that. But you still can't share/move/trade items across the original Steam character and anything on Xbox/Win10(PC).

well if I downloAD ark from ms store and create a new character the question is can my xbox character share/trade etc with my MS downloaded version of ark which then would not be steam.

• Volunteer Moderator
58 minutes ago, PeachSalad said:

well if I downloAD ark from ms store and create a new character the question is can my xbox character share/trade etc with my MS downloaded version of ark which then would not be steam.

I think they will have to be from different Xbox live accounts. If I remember right. 

25 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I think they will have to be from different Xbox live accounts. If I remember right. 

Correct.  When we first started playing, my kids and I started w/ the xbox version.   Since my account bought it, I had to setup one xbox as the family box in my account settings.  That allowed me to use my PC to log onto the game with that main account and my kid could join me from his xbox using his account without me logged in there as well.

Then we got more creative and used my wife's account to host a dedicated session, host tethering eliminated.

Archived