What's Quetzal is good for now ? (pve)

DonaldDuck

Argentavis already replaced Quetzal long ago, I am taming one right now, but I don't really see any point of use for it. It can carry large dino on its platform but there is already cryopod also.

Quetzal is also slow, so what is it used for nowadays ? Has it received any TLC to make Quetzal great again ?

1 hour ago, DonaldDuck said:

Argentavis already replaced Quetzal long ago, I am taming one right now, but I don't really see any point of use for it. It can carry large dino on its platform but there is already cryopod also.

Quetzal is also slow, so what is it used for nowadays ? Has it received any TLC to make Quetzal great again ?

It really doesnt have a function that is not outclassed by something else indeed. Well, except for a few really specific things. Like a strategy for killing desert titan with a giga on Extinction. (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1HcQUe5_Qc&ab_channel=PrimalGaming)
On a good Quetzal its durability (HP) can be far higher that the of a skiff. On a skiff you can also build and hoover but compared to a skiff, you cant cryo a skiff, which could be a downside actually...

But being outclassed by something else, doesnt mean its functions and utility is non-existing.

3 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

As @Joebl0w13 sez - I ain't much used them since forever. There is one (kinda iffy) advantage in that moving a bunch of dinos on the platform obviates the need for waiting on cryo cool down at the other end to deploy a bunch of dinos. But as I sez - very iffy :(
No more turrets, can't level speed, no much use ......... except to catch another qwetz with. I also dunno if the old ceiling base tactic still works - kinda doubt it with the prevalence of "new" fast flying high stamina dinos that make scouting for that kinda base quite easy. Although it is such an old tactic, maybe the PVP peeps have forgotten that it can be a thing and don't do that kind of search and destroy no more :)

• Volunteer Moderator
26 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

As @Joebl0w13 sez - I ain't much used them since forever. There is one (kinda iffy) advantage in that moving a bunch of dinos on the platform obviates the need for waiting on cryo cool down at the other end to deploy a bunch of dinos. But as I sez - very iffy :(
No more turrets, can't level speed, no much use ......... except to catch another qwetz with. I also dunno if the old ceiling base tactic still works - kinda doubt it with the prevalence of "new" fast flying high stamina dinos that make scouting for that kinda base quite easy. Although it is such an old tactic, maybe the PVP peeps have forgotten that it can be a thing and don't do that kind of search and destroy no more :)

Man, how much I miss the days of a speed leveled Quetz with turrets. Ultimate taming assist with instant perimeter security.

Quetz + Velona = Desert Titan defeat

Quetz + Ankylo + Forge = Mobile flyer forge

Quetz + some beds + wardrobe = multiple Artifact run

Quetz + trough (+ daeodon) = Obelisk's trough (for Boss-Element dino's team)

Quetz + shooter platform = easy taming of some dino, or easy kill 

Quetz + trap platform = mobile trap

Quetz + balista/catapult = Titanosaur tamer

Quetz + little base = mobile house

14 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

Argentavis already replaced Quetzal long ago, I am taming one right now, but I don't really see any point of use for it. It can carry large dino on its platform but there is already cryopod also.Quetzal is also slow, so what is it used for nowadays ? Has it received any TLC to make Quetzal great again ?

If your solo, its not exactly that useful, however if you have a buddy, its got some advantages. 

20 hours ago, CervantesMor said:

Skiff + Quetzal = Skitzal

Skiff + Paracer + Quetzal = Skirazal

Bronto + Skiff + Quetzal + Paracer = Brontoskirazal

Megachelon + Bronto + Skiff + Quetzal + paracer = Brontoskirazal on a surfboard

Mosasaurus + Megachelon + Bronto + Skiff + Quetzal + paracer + Forge = Floating Mt. Doom

On 12/22/2022 at 11:14 PM, CervantesMor said:

When u saying wardrobe I assume u mean storage box? Also when would u use that on a quetz when u can use a otter far more efficiently. 

On 12/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Hurebhsdyrgsg said:

When u saying wardrobe I assume u mean storage box? Also when would u use that on a quetz when u can use a otter far more efficiently. 

It's not to replace otter it's to replace needing a spawn shack at the mouth of the cave since many pve'ers will struggle to find a build location anywhere near the cave on official. Some people will very much need a spawn loc if they intend to naked run the caves.

3 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Btw all mentions previous like: Quetz for boss fights, cave runs, or mobile forges ... is all just a variation of quetz for mobile base and you are designing your base for a specific need. In those cases your base gets to fly, which I think is pretty handy!

Can't argue that theory. Why build a base that is off to one side of the map or the other when you can build one for your main stuff, and then have a outpost that goes where you go.....might make baby raiseing a bit easier

I think it is more useful for maps that have teleport like Genesis and Fjordur, but on Ragnarok, moving Quetzal from place to place is too slow because the map is huge. Good thing about mobile base is I don't need to visit it to refresh decay, since dino has its decay reset once a character is online (cmiiw). Do structures on dino have decay timer too ?

22 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

I think it is more useful for maps that have teleport like Genesis and Fjordur, but on Ragnarok, moving Quetzal from place to place is too slow because the map is huge. Good thing about mobile base is I don't need to visit it to refresh decay, since dino has its decay reset once a character is online (cmiiw). Do structures on dino have decay timer too ?

Yes, I've run up to structures on dinos and seen the "demolish in #:#:#:#" text so they must decay. I've never heard of that "since dino has its decay reset once character is online" bit, are u sure about that? otherwise might get away with just a wood base on a dino if you're not planning on taking damage like in a big fight, because stone / metal is a waste if the dino decays out from under it. Speaking of ragnarok and quetzal base, yea that map is huge and flying a quetz anywhere is a pain. But there is one super niche use. Visiting the murder snow biome. If you put a ton of fireplaces on the q base it can make the trip up into that hellish blizzard a little more survivable.

20 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Yes, I've run up to structures on dinos and seen the "demolish in #:#:#:#" text so they must decay. I've never heard of that "since dino has its decay reset once character is online" bit, are u sure about that? otherwise might get away with just a wood base on a dino if you're not planning on taking damage like in a big fight, because stone / metal is a waste if the dino decays out from under it. Speaking of ragnarok and quetzal base, yea that map is huge and flying a quetz anywhere is a pain. But there is one super niche use. Visiting the murder snow biome. If you put a ton of fireplaces on the q base it can make the trip up into that hellish blizzard a little more survivable.

Damn, that's a good idea. Wish I'd thought of it before I spent weeks running the Iceworm on repeat to get good fur.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:43 AM, sjskdjkfa said:

Now that you mention it, I'm actually not sure about dino decay reset when just online, I thought it was just an online reset since all dinoes seemed to have the same timer to me, again, never actually compare it.

Regarding that cold snow biome yea it is insane, even with otter I still need 5 campfires around me to change the ice cube icon (I tamed the otter after visiting that place and it didn't help much lol). In the end I use snow owl to heal me when I'm not near the campfire to do stuffs lol. Was taming several yutyrannus for breeding at that time and kill others to open slot for the yuty to spawn. 

To be fair....with PvE you make up your own rules how you want to play the game. So you can always do like a 'Nomad' run  on a Quetz , especially if you enable the flier's speed boosts. Or like I used them for fun putting turrets with batteries and using them to clear out Wyvern trenches. Basically alot of creatures have uses for fun, rather than 'need' to accommodate different play styles. I've always tried to play each map using as different creatures as much as possible and straying away from some of the 'staples' where possible. 

I used one on a mod map, Glacius. The colder snow biome is hard to survive with absurd temperatures and ice rex/basilisks/purlovia littered everywhere. The air was safe though, so I did quetz + hut with fireplaces + landing platform and made short trips and lootcrate hunts from there. But that was about the only time it made sense for me to have one.

15 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

Now that you mention it, I'm actually not sure about dino decay reset when just online, I thought it was just an online reset since all dinoes seemed to have the same timer to me, again, never actually compare it.

Regarding that cold snow biome yea it is insane, even with otter I still need 5 campfires around me to change the ice cube icon (I tamed the otter after visiting that place and it didn't help much lol). In the end I use snow owl to heal me when I'm not near the campfire to do stuffs lol. Was taming several yutyrannus for breeding at that time and kill others to open slot for the yuty to spawn. 

level up the otters melee, this will improve its insulation value. Might need an otter with 1000% melee to survive out there. XD But it does make a difference!

22 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

This is the only best job for Quetzal for me now. It's sad to see this great bird to be used just for this it needs TLC so badly since Argentavis stole its thunder (not that I complain though 🙃) , if I use a climbing pick then my Quetzal  is jobless.

You could also use it and a bear to harvest honey fast. Yeah, grappleing hook and bug goo, but a bear n quetzal harvest 3x the honey you and a grapple can

Archived