Balanced Herbivore / Carnivore Ratio

Haumea

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 12:59 PM, Haumea said:

Since Dinos are now on a living, breathing planet instead of an Ark managed by an Overseer, it would make sense that the ecosystem of dinos balanced itself and found a healthy ratio between carnivores and herbivores. By that i mean ark should have less carnivores.

This makes sense, but the ARK system is running again since Santiago and Meeka both have Implants. The devs will probably work the Colony Ship into the game somehow. Not sure exactly if they'll change the ratio, but it's possible.

8 hours ago, Dodge2134 said:

This makes sense, but the ARK system is running again since Santiago and Meeka both have Implants. The devs will probably work the Colony Ship into the game somehow. Not sure exactly if they'll change the ratio, but it's possible.

I'm running under the assumption that the ARKs won't hold nearly as much sway as they did before. A proper canrivore to herbivore ratio would certainly be more beneficial for the sake of both immersion for us nature/ecology nerds and for the sake of pvp encounters should those remain in ark2. Less of a chance for a mega tribe to crop up with lines of mutated gigas and rexes if they're rare as hens teeth. Granted it'll also be harder on solos or small tribes but it'd be at least a chance to even the scales a bit.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, CosmicSkeleton said:

I'm running under the assumption that the ARKs won't hold nearly as much sway as they did before. A proper canrivore to herbivore ratio would certainly be more beneficial for the sake of both immersion for us nature/ecology nerds and for the sake of pvp encounters should those remain in ark2. Less of a chance for a mega tribe to crop up with lines of mutated gigas and rexes if they're rare as hens teeth. Granted it'll also be harder on solos or small tribes but it'd be at least a chance to even the scales a bit.

Little late to the party here but I'd say the opposite is true in terms of PvP balance. Regardless of how rare a dino is mega tribes will always hunt them down and get their breeding lines established. Take the 150 wild giga for instance. I very rarely see a 150 wild giga and as a solo PvP player I have yet to actually tame one, yet I dont know a single large tribe that does not have oodles of them just chilling in cryopods. 

Making a certain dino more rare gives advantage to the larger tribes, not the small ones. That being said, I am on board with you. I think that apex tames should be a rare occurrence that gets the player exited when they come across one. 

I would like if there was more options of dps that is herbivore. carnivores however should have a distinct hold on dps but have a variety of options just lesser populations. I think ark 2 needs to create more of a search and taming aspect than we saw in the last few years of ark. I feel like if I look for a high level of any major dino i can tame 50+ high levels in a day which makes the search boring and job like. Let me feel the old fashioned hunt that the original island felt like looking for a giga

11 hours ago, JoeFlacco said:

I would like if there was more options of dps that is herbivore. carnivores however should have a distinct hold on dps but have a variety of options just lesser populations. I think ark 2 needs to create more of a search and taming aspect than we saw in the last few years of ark. I feel like if I look for a high level of any major dino i can tame 50+ high levels in a day which makes the search boring and job like. Let me feel the old fashioned hunt that the original island felt like looking for a giga

I'll second this. I'd honestly like taming and breeding to be completely overhauled and have the need to mass tame be done away with. Taming your first couple rexes is cool, taming 10 of them for eggs just to get a perfect 150 is not. 

On 1/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, Logan96 said:

Regardless of how rare a dino is mega tribes will always hunt them down and get their breeding lines established

Sooner or later it's all but certain yea, but there'll at least be a chance for a little more time for everyone to start building up their defenses as a counter play if the big carnivores are much harder to find. It's far from a perfect solution since the scarcity also means there's gonna be an attempt an monopolizing their spawn locations if they give them the standard "go here for this creature" spawn points, but I figure that may potentially be mitigated if you give them a very low spawn chance spread everywhere on the map save for the beginner areas. That way Bill bob the chill solo player and everyone else has just as much chance of finding and trying to tame a Rex or giga as XxKiller_EdgexX and his mega tribe that thrive on trying to crush other players for daring to have fun. 

The hunt was the best part of taming a giga. I remember my island server could fight each other for 18 hours just trying to knock out a level 4 giga. Was an experience late game players will never understand. They were broken in pvp but you respected how much of a fight it took that tribe to tame it as well as find it. I want having to rely on luck for high level tames not breeding and who can sit on the game in base the longest to have the best dinos.

• 1 month later...

I agree.

More Herbivores, less Carnivores makes far more sense in a natural environment.
That doesn't mean in terms of species, I'll take as many carnivore species as I can get for ARK 2.
Population density is where it counts here.

And I do hope we see a lot more aggressive herbivores this time around as well, to ensure a constant level of danger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived