Will Maewing keep nursing babies if out of render/stasis ?

DonaldDuck

I found a couple of threads but some say yay some say nay so does anyone know for a fact whether it is a yes or is it a no ? 

If I want to use a maewing for just nursing, low level is ok or do I need high level, is the nurse effectiveness always 100% regardless of level when tamed ?

Does the option 'ENABLE NURSING' only for babies in the pouches or any babies near the maewing ?

I have always leveled mine in nursing effectiveness and weight.  Not much in weight though, only about 5000 since they will black box before they reach the max weight.  As far as the 'enable nursing', as long as the babies are within the trough area (green ring), then the babies will eat.  From what I've noticed the nursing effectiveness only expands the area of the 'trough' from the maewing.

As far as the out of render question, I have successfully logged off or gone to other servers or out of render and have not lost a baby yet.  Just make sure there is plenty of the right kind of food in the maewing.

6 minutes ago, NightSnake said:

I have always leveled mine in nursing effectiveness and weight.  Not much in weight though, only about 5000 since they will black box before they reach the max weight.  As far as the 'enable nursing', as long as the babies are within the trough area (green ring), then the babies will eat.  From what I've noticed the nursing effectiveness only expands the area of the 'trough' from the maewing.

As far as the out of render question, I have successfully logged off or gone to other servers or out of render and have not lost a baby yet.  Just make sure there is plenty of the right kind of food in the maewing.

So the pouch is only for convenience transporting babies then, not neccessarily for nursing ?

6 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

I found a couple of threads but some say yay some say nay so does anyone know for a fact whether it is a yes or is it a no ? 

If I want to use a maewing for just nursing, low level is ok or do I need high level, is the nurse effectiveness always 100% regardless of level when tamed ?

Does the option 'ENABLE NURSING' only for babies in the pouches or any babies near the maewing ?

I want to add that I think there is a bug or there was a bug when putting food in babies inventory as well as Maewing inventory, when on nursing. Then somehow the baby wont eat from neither its own inventory nor the Maewing inventory. Probably when out of render. So just put food into the Maewing only.

I might have been an idiot or whatever and this bug isnt even real...

Yes, a maewing can be bred.  They are omnivores so can eat either meat or berries.

2 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

I want to add that I think there is a bug or there was a bug when putting food in babies inventory as well as Maewing inventory, when on nursing. Then somehow the baby wont eat from neither its own inventory nor the Maewing inventory. Probably when out of render. So just put food into the Maewing only.

I might have been an idiot or whatever and this bug isnt even real...

I know years ago there was a bug where a juvenile would focus on one trough only.  Even if you had 8 troughs full of food, if the one ran out then the baby would starve.  But that was fixed.  I don't know about the food in inventory one.  I have never put food directly into the baby inventory since the maewing came out.  With the exception of drakes, wyverns and bats.  I still do that the old way. 

I would assume that it counts exactly as a trough.  We ran exclusively from maewings raising every kind of baby you can imagine when Lost Island came out.  With no troughs, no tek troughs, we had no deaths and we left the area while gigas and everything else was raising.

THere is also some difference with animals in the saddle and ones on ground around it.  There's a delay on feeding , I forgot which but one of the groups will eat on a delayed timer.  Their food level will drop more than the other before triggering a feeding.

Also, unlike the procoptodon, the babies don't get bugged out being picked up by the maewing saddle.  Whereas on a procoptodon, if you leave render, the babies will fall out and end up under the floor or worse.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:17 AM, DonaldDuck said:

I found a couple of threads but some say yay some say nay so does anyone know for a fact whether it is a yes or is it a no ? If I want to use a maewing for just nursing, low level is ok or do I need high level, is the nurse effectiveness always 100% regardless of level when tamed ? Does the option 'ENABLE NURSING' only for babies in the pouches or any babies near the maewing ?

when it comes to babies and making sure they grow up, I feel like the best way of doing it is to do it in as safe as manner as possible.....no risks, no "Ill be back in 5 minutes" ect. ect.
Either bring them with you, (your doing a metal run, so you load them up in maewing baskets and then get the argy and anky to go smash a few nodes) or if your not comfortable with that, cryo them up.

We have had so many complaints about people who left a full trough load of meat and juveniles died, boss fighters on a trough load trying to heal up and a ocean adventure later they all starved to death, and similar instances cross these boards that I am truly convinced that there is absolutely nothing to keep feeding the dino's but themselves while you are gone.......If they got food in their own inventory, your good. But if you want to depend on a trough or maewing, your literally rolling the dice on a bug thats been here since the beginning. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself had to deal with this once, had popped a 4 yuty eggs and got them to juvenile before logging off for the night. A full trough of cooked meat before I logged for 6 hours, the only one to survive was the one with a food mutation. 

Now I know for a fact maewing can take care babies like a pro, I have left them babies many times and the babies are safe and sound every time. Thx for all the info. 

Whatever bug was in the past  is probably fixed by now. Because if the player needs to be there kinda defeats the purpose of maewing's nursing utility. Happy owner of maewing now I can just pop those eggs and leave 🙃

One more thing, since Maewing doesnt have gender but can be mated and I'm guessing they don't lay eggs but gestate, which one will carry the offspring ? or is it both ??

-edit-

nvm I just tried it myself (was occupied just now), they lay eggs lol, and both lay eggs after mating, I thought platypus was a mammal but yes they are but they also lay eggs. Nature works in a mysterious way 🙃. The eggs are also varied it has types like kibble types. Creative idea to make them unique 👍

1 hour ago, DonaldDuck said:

they lay eggs lol,

OK I ain't ever tried that - you say BOTH parents lay eggs???? Are both eggs fertile - that's well weird LOL (I have seen them drop the odd egg - not while mating)

Strictly the platypus is a monotreme not really a mammal. But that's just a fancy word  for egg laying mammal ;)

On 12/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, DirkInSA said:

OK I ain't ever tried that - you say BOTH parents lay eggs???? Are both eggs fertile - that's well weird LOL (I have seen them drop the odd egg - not while mating)

Strictly the platypus is a monotreme not really a mammal. But that's just a fancy word  for egg laying mammal ;)

Yes both , but it is one or both lay FERTILIZED eggs.   😀 so it's a chance.

===

Apparently it is probably random, the next time I bred them, only one laid the fertilized egg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, NightSnake said:

I'm guessing u didn't mean 5000 weight because that's 575 points into weight and anything over say 2k is a complete waste assuming they are being used for raising babies. Maewings will also half the weight of food such as berries and meat. 

Archived