Best underwater creature?

Lagonbreezey

If I am trying to get somewhere hella fast its a dolphin leveled in speed (I could get from the mainland to carno island in literally 2 seconds at one point) but for muscle its squid, basil or mosa. Mosa and squid are susceptible to jellyfish though, a well bred basil can be super useful. But also if I am going for biotoxin I like a spino, the key is to stop short and bite constantly as the jellies come to you.

Basilosaurus; immune to jelly fish & tuso grabs, adequate damage output, plenty of health, can fit well enough into underwater caves, and are not too difficult to tame. 

Honestly, the Jellyfish stun is too OP, and makes riding stuff like sharks, mosas, and plesiosaurs unusable.  I think that megalodons & larger see creatures should all be immune to the stun & dismount jelly fish have. Same for larger land tames as well, like spinos.  

17 hours ago, Lagonbreezey said:

The ocean, a place I dread personally, but many may not and actually enjoy the hellish water molecules of the sea, so what is your best underwater creature?

As you can see from the answers above... it depends.

It depends on what you're trying to do and it depends on your play style. Mosa's and tuso's are the big beasts of the sea, but they're both potentially vulnerable to jellyfish is you're not careful. Having said that, the only times jellyfish have ever bothered me on a mosa have been when I was feeling impatient, the AOE attack from the mosa can easily kill all jellyfish if you're even a little bit patient, there's no reason to ever get stung other than a player making a mistake.

Basilo's have a few things going for them: lots of HP, immunity to jellyfish and they self-heal over time (as long as you are not too deep, deep water stops their healing, but really that's not a problem unless you're careless and spend too much time down deep on a single dive). The main downside of the basilo is that it does damage slowly. You can kill almost anything you want to fight, but it takes a while.

IMO the best approach to the ocean is to have multiple animals. If you're playing solo then you ride one animal and have the others on follow, or the members of your tribe ride different animals to help each other. A pack of 3-4 sharks can tear up almost anything you encounter except maybe a large pack jellyfish (or a high level alpha), and even then you can usually kill the jellyfish with your crossbow while they're focused on your sharks. I also like using a basilo with 3-4 sharks on follow, that gives me immunity to jellyfish, enough HP on my mount to survive nearly anything, and extra weight capacity to carry stuff back to base (and to carry extra scuba gear on your basilo). On every map I can easily spend 2-3 underwater without any worries, and come back to base carry a bunch of whatever I wanted to get.

Advice: Since you dread the water, my suggestion is improve your comfort level step by step. Get a pack of sharks (either take the time to find some Lvl 100-150 sharks to tame, or get a couple of good ones and breed, depending on what kind of server you're playing on), level them up a bit, and just start taking short excursions into the ocean. Start by working in the shallow areas, get used to leading your pack as you get pearls and fight shallow-water species, then start doing some deeper dives as you become more comfortable with the seas. Soon enough you will feel comfortable with taming a basilo while your sharks are following and protecting you, and then you can use your basilo+shark pack to explore deeper and thing about taming mosa's and tuso's.

12 hours ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

Honestly, the Jellyfish stun is too OP, and makes riding stuff like sharks, mosas, and plesiosaurs unusable.  I think that megalodons & larger see creatures should all be immune to the stun & dismount jelly fish have. Same for larger land tames as well, like spinos.  

I think the Jellyfish stun is somewhat pretty decent. when you pay just a little bit of attention in the open ocean, they are not hard to dodge. In caves they are indeed a big pain, since a lot of them are also high lvl...

But yes they should have had a some kind of sting-build up, like torpor. That way the big swarm of jelly-fish would have been as dangerous as it should be...
Anoying as they are, they add difficulty to Ark, and big groups of jellyfish can be really scary and lethal to even big creatures. Its like a good idea, bad implementation in game...

Im not sure, but Im pretty sure Tusos are also immume to jellyfish attacks, and Mosas at at least ignored, cant say I have ever been bothered by jellyfish on neither Tuso nor Mosa...

Because of jellyfish , everything aside from basilo and tuso have that as a problem.  Basilo is great , but a tuso is faster and does better damage.  Tuso wins for most water activity.

Now add some constraints and you can get more interesting answers.  For example, best water travel mount on a beginner The Island server - I'd put my vote in for the beelzebufo.  Its fast, doesn't need to breath underwater, and easily accessible early on.

16 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Everyone's fussing about jellyfish as if the electrophorus aren't the real problem here. At least Cnidaria are slow and easy to spot. 

Sure they are slow, but battles underwater can take a long time.  Plenty of time for cnidaria to sneak up from behind and just make life miserable.  The eels aren't as much a problem on every map, so the jellyfish are going to come up more often as a complaint.   I think its safe to just lump them all in together without having to be PC about referring to all dismounting attacks underwater.

We are all agreed there is no king, you need an armada of multiple dinosaurs. I had a pretty good time on a bary (you can crossbow from it's back) followed by 2 bassilos and 5 megalodons. Also tame the bary first and it makes taming the other 2 types a breeze. Bary spin attack will clear out the basilos body guards making it much easier to abduct the basi into your entourage! 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:01 PM, GrumpyBear said:

Sure they are slow, but battles underwater can take a long time.  Plenty of time for cnidaria to sneak up from behind and just make life miserable.  The eels aren't as much a problem on every map, so the jellyfish are going to come up more often as a complaint.   I think its safe to just lump them all in together without having to be PC about referring to all dismounting attacks underwater.

Moral of the story? The oceans of ark are an awful, awful place

On 12/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, Pipinghot said:

Advice: Since you dread the water, my suggestion is improve your comfort level step by step. Get a pack of sharks (either take the time to find some Lvl 100-150 sharks to tame, or get a couple of good ones and breed, depending on what kind of server you're playing on), level them up a bit, and just start taking short excursions into the ocean. Start by working in the shallow areas, get used to leading your pack as you get pearls and fight shallow-water species, then start doing some deeper dives as you become more comfortable with the seas. Soon enough you will feel comfortable with taming a basilo while your sharks are following and protecting you, and then you can use your basilo+shark pack to explore deeper and thing about taming mosa's and tuso's.

The main reason I dread the water is due to the fact that it has forsaken me too many times, i've lost an amazing rock drake to accidentally running into a few jellyfish, i've gotten close to losing my basilo to a mosa coming out of nowhere, i've been chased by about 7 mosas at once, I somehow even fell into a river in a valley on fjordur and lost a good moschops and all my loot to megs and jellyfish. and this somehow all took place over the span of a single playthrough, but i've been slowly increasing comfort across that playthrough as well, I tamed a high lvl basilo, I helped one of my tribemates tame a tuso, and I was also able to tame a mosa with that tuso, it was slow, but i've kinda managed to increase comfort going into the water.

Baryonyx is definitely the king until you get a Tuso. It's reasonably fast-I think more than Basil-can even deal with small packs of eels and keep your distance from jellyfish as you shoot them from its back. It absolutely destroys any Megalodons, including Alphas, thanks to the stun, and imprinted 1st generation is good enough to handle everything short of Tuso.

Archived