Raising Desmodus - total pain in the backside

c4hammer

12 hours ago, c4hammer said:

Maewing pretty much makes everything easy.  Not Desmodus.  Starve if you move too far away, transfer servers, lay in bunk and take a break.  

I play Official and had no issues, I'm pretty sure I logged out and relocated while they were near the Maewings, but for any pet I raise I use more than one stacked and full Maewing (300 flesh slots at at least 2 stacked Maewings) and with efficiency around 160. This weekend I have to make 3 more so I could do some tests to grow 1 always staying with me on 1 Maewing and another with the same amount of meat on a server where I won't be online, in case there are problems I will write it here.

PS: actually a doubt I've always had about almost all Dinos is that they eat less when they're out of Rendering. Specific exception for Gachas

Don't even bother with the Maewing.  Just put blood packs in the inventory of the baby.  They actually eat very little.  If you already have a bat, then just attack something and get blood packs.  If not, then use a blood extraction and get some from yourself.

I have raised many and I transfer servers or log off while doing it and they raise perfectly.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, c4hammer said:

Maewing pretty much makes everything easy.  Not Desmodus.  Starve if you move too far away, transfer servers, lay in bunk and take a break.  

Feed them only meat.  They go through it very very fast , but feeding w/ blood is not advisable.  They won't consume the blood when you are gone, and when you get back the system doesn't seem good at filling up the babies.   

My assumption would be that 30 second timer kicks in after the first pack is consumed, then the system pauses the feeding for that cd, then the system checks the babies for final food and hp value and poof, they die since the system won't fill up the food value they required for the time you were out of render.  Having meat on hand would allow the babies to switch over to eating that in that render check moment.

Basically , eat it in the shorts for the work needed to feed them just meat and you will be fine.

I've several bat's die on me. Some peeps claim they won't consume blood packs at certain stages of their maturation. This is wrong they will use them for 200 food and raw meat is 10 food. They will however eat meat when theres blood available to them sometimes and will starve if its not an option for them. So I've taken to having a few hundred blood packs and maybe a fridge full of meat available to them will preserving salts thrown in to keep the meat fresh for the 1st couple hrs. With this I've had no issue raising them. U just need to make sure the bat's are the only tames with access to the meat or they are likely to starve. 

On 11/22/2022 at 11:20 AM, GrumpyBear said:

Feed them only meat.  They go through it very very fast , but feeding w/ blood is not advisable.

I have never had a problem with blood packs.

I have even switched servers and/or logged off for hours.  Raised them with Gigas, spinos, rexs and other dinos.  

Maybe I just got lucky, but I've not lost one yet.

1 hour ago, NightSnake said:

I have never had a problem with blood packs.

I have even switched servers and/or logged off for hours.  Raised them with Gigas, spinos, rexs and other dinos.  

Maybe I just got lucky, but I've not lost one yet.

I have lost over 20 from several different raising moments.  Its a real thing.  There can be lots of reasons why it doesnt' work for some and works well for others.  For example, one p0erson breeds in a very remote spot w/ few players moving through the area, that makes that area go dormant until it's loaded into memory.  If noone shows up for over and hour, this can be problematic for some animals being raised.  Raise these same animals in a well populated area on the server, you are more likely to have players flying by loading the area into memory and hence the animals eat regularly.

You could raise only 1 bat at a time and never notice a problem.   That would probably work because the cooldown timer after a bag is consumed woudln't stop any other bats from eating.  As soon as you have more than 1 bat being raised, soon as one eats, the others have to wait for 30 seconds.   You go out of the area, and lets assume nobody is anywhere near that area for 3 hours.  Come back, and the game will then do a food check and try and fill up the food to match what would have been consumed.  The problem with blood packs is this check will only let 1 bag be consumed.  If the other animals food had run out and then gets checked against the blood bags that can't be consumed for 30 seconds, the game then decides they died because at that exact moment there's no food available to wipe out the calculated hunger from the time they waited to be rendered.   

One time, I had blood bags on each of 10 bats, bags on 3 maewings, bags in my tek troughs.  I went hunting, never left the map - while out, 9 of them died and left bags behind w/ next to nothing ever being consumed by any of the dead bats.   

On 11/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, GrumpyBear said:

I have lost over 20 from several different raising moments.  Its a real thing.  There can be lots of reasons why it doesnt' work for some and works well for others.  For example, one p0erson breeds in a very remote spot w/ few players moving through the area, that makes that area go dormant until it's loaded into memory.  If noone shows up for over and hour, this can be problematic for some animals being raised.  Raise these same animals in a well populated area on the server, you are more likely to have players flying by loading the area into memory and hence the animals eat regularly.

You could raise only 1 bat at a time and never notice a problem.   That would probably work because the cooldown timer after a bag is consumed woudln't stop any other bats from eating.  As soon as you have more than 1 bat being raised, soon as one eats, the others have to wait for 30 seconds.   You go out of the area, and lets assume nobody is anywhere near that area for 3 hours.  Come back, and the game will then do a food check and try and fill up the food to match what would have been consumed.  The problem with blood packs is this check will only let 1 bag be consumed.  If the other animals food had run out and then gets checked against the blood bags that can't be consumed for 30 seconds, the game then decides they died because at that exact moment there's no food available to wipe out the calculated hunger from the time they waited to be rendered.   

One time, I had blood bags on each of 10 bats, bags on 3 maewings, bags in my tek troughs.  I went hunting, never left the map - while out, 9 of them died and left bags behind w/ next to nothing ever being consumed by any of the dead bats.   

I must have been very lucky then.  My theory is that if I'm going to spend time raising one, I might as well raise a bunch.  The area is not a populated one and I didn't realize how the programming worked on that.  I usually just do my own thing on other servers or log off completely and check on babies every couple hours.  Not just bats but all babies including wyverns and drakes.

I'll have to be more careful in the future in case my luck runs out.

Archived