cannot feed dinos to train them on the island xbox single player.

anteros75

am new to the game. downloaded the other day. have reached level 33 crafting and gathering and was going to train my first dino to explore more of the map. first try i knocked the dino unconscious and tried to feed him. it allowed me to click y and open his inventory but it would not let me move anything into it. i went and watched some videos on how to train dinos, how it was supposed to work. went back and tried again with a different dino. this time used a trank arrow and he went down. walked up to him and again it displayed that he was unconscious and to add food to his inventory to train. i again opened his inventory and selected the food and went to push them over into his inventory and it will not let me access any of his inventory slots. his inventory is completely empty. they all were that i have tried. it will let me access the search bar, drop all, sort items icons above his inventory but that is all. then i try and try until the time runs out and the dino wakes up and walks off. can anyone help. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, anteros75 said:

am new to the game. downloaded the other day. have reached level 33 crafting and gathering and was going to train my first dino to explore more of the map. first try i knocked the dino unconscious and tried to feed him. it allowed me to click y and open his inventory but it would not let me move anything into it. i went and watched some videos on how to train dinos, how it was supposed to work. went back and tried again with a different dino. this time used a trank arrow and he went down. walked up to him and again it displayed that he was unconscious and to add food to his inventory to train. i again opened his inventory and selected the food and went to push them over into his inventory and it will not let me access any of his inventory slots. his inventory is completely empty. they all were that i have tried. it will let me access the search bar, drop all, sort items icons above his inventory but that is all. then i try and try until the time runs out and the dino wakes up and walks off. can anyone help. 

Which species were you trying to tame?

The knockout-tame method is not universal, most dinos are tamed that way but some of them require other methods.

On 11/19/2022 at 5:17 AM, anteros75 said:

i knocked the dino unconscious and tried to feed him

Also - what are you trying to feed the "sleeper". Carnivores like Raptor or Dillo  will only eat meat. Herbivores, like Trike, or Para will only eat berries ...  On PC that does not sound like you problem. Normally you can move whatever you like into a sleeping dino's inventory. They just may not eat what you put there! x-box maybe different?

Maybe have a look at "key" bindings?

On 11/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, anteros75 said:

Some creatures are not able to be tamed through proper knock out methods. The lystrosaurus is one that does not need to be knocked out, instead while its awake and wandering around, you must put the taming food of choice {mejo berries is best} into the very last slot on your hot bar, and occasionally press a button to feed it to the animal when it ask's for it.

In order to determine if this is a actual problem or not, you may try and target a dodo as they DO take the knock out method and you can transfer things into their inventory once KO'd. Go to the dodo and try to use the "transfer all items" button. If nothing moves over into the animals inventory, I would defiantly say there is a problem.....or its dead. Make sure its not dead. :P

Archived