Question of the day-favorite caving creature

Griffin998

I don't have a fav I just have sad memories and failures lol. One time I raised a deinon I thought was breed for bosses, and took it into the swamp cave, and it died pretty quick... One time I raised a megatherium and another deinon and went back to the swamp cave and we did pretty good, but my armor got shredded. Another time I wild tamed a megatherium and took it into the cave above that big bay in the middle of the southern edge of the map, absolutely dominated that cave. I've only got one other caving experience, I raised some deinons some totally other time and took them into that cave across the herb island channel and to the north east, and they just did some weird uncontrollable jumping mechanics and flopped into the lava and that was the saddest thing. The mega was annoying cause it wasn't maneuverable enough, the deinons were annoying cause they died to easily.

(The Island) My favorite caving dino so far is Baryonyx.  They can fit into most caves easily without needing to be Cryo-podded, and their height makes it harder for Arthropleura to hit you with acid.  They only eat fish meat, but as long as they have fish to eat, they regenerate health quickly.  I can take a well-leveled Baryonyx into the Swamp Cave, and as long as I take it slow, I can get through it okay.

Since I've only ever played The Island, I have no experience with Deinonychus or Shadowmanes.  When I finally get to play Genesis 2 and Valguero, I'll be sure to try them out!

9 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

(The Island) My favorite caving dino so far is Baryonyx.  They can fit into most caves easily without needing to be Cryo-podded, and their height makes it harder for Arthropleura to hit you with acid.  They only eat fish meat, but as long as they have fish to eat, they regenerate health quickly.  I can take a well-leveled Baryonyx into the Swamp Cave, and as long as I take it slow, I can get through it okay.

Since I've only ever played The Island, I have no experience with Deinonychus or Shadowmanes.  When I finally get to play Genesis 2 and Valguero, I'll be sure to try them out!

U should ask on ur server assuming it's official if u can buy/trade for shadowmanes and dinos. U shouldn't be missing out on really useful creatures just because ur only playing on 1 map. Ideally boss lvl creatures and one of each gender to breed ur own for imprinting to create super dinos. U can get anything u want on official as long as u are friendly and ask the right people

2 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Luke Skywalker.

Oh yeah. He's a real all-rounder. Just tears through everything ;) 

Also, this might seem like a weird one, but for the ones they fit in, Rock Drakes are probably the best. With their gliding, invisibility, sheer power...Also, about shadowmanes-they shred anything they can get to, not just caves. It's just a given.

Cheers, good luck caving, and happy ARKing!

Well I thought I had the perfect underwater cave Dino in the Andrewsarchus with its battle ready turret saddle. I knew I couldn't be dismounted by the nasties underwater so I embarked in a mission to collect the underwater Artifact of the Devourer. It was...WAS the perfect mount. That is, until I got blue screened. Of course by the time I had gotten back into the game my player had died as well as my mount. In the end, I took my genetically engineered Shadowmane and just avoided all baddies in a speed run. 

2 hours ago, clemson81anthony said:

Well I thought I had the perfect underwater cave Dino in the Andrewsarchus with its battle ready turret saddle. I knew I couldn't be dismounted by the nasties underwater so I embarked in a mission to collect the underwater Artifact of the Devourer. It was...WAS the perfect mount. That is, until I got blue screened. Of course by the time I had gotten back into the game my player had died as well as my mount. In the end, I took my genetically engineered Shadowmane and just avoided all baddies in a speed run. 

i lost count that this happened to me mainly when i went to go fight a boss

Dimorphs (like 6 in a flock). They are adequate to take any cave that has air in it ............ And are easy to get past the choke points.

And probably a Barry to ride.

My view - cryopods kinda busted the huge challenge that a cave used to provide. Now - bring whatever works! And if it don't work - throw out another pod.

In general, desmodus is pretty unmatched for caving, it can go invisible, it can fly, and it is a pretty small creature that can fit in many caves.

But I would probally go with a rock drake if it could fit. Rock drakes were made for caving and they are good at it if they fit in the cave, the invisibility is amazing with high enough stam, the climbing gets most threats out of the way, and it does decent damage so it's not a bad combat choice. one thing that I must say is that on Fjordur, NEVER bring one into the bear caverns, 1 mistake and you have hundreds of meganeura on you and they shred through a 15k health rock drake FAST.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:39 PM, DirkInSA said:

Thats an reasonable thought - but I would have thought too squishy? (unless you taking the xxxxx and are no being serious LOL)

Well, even though castorides are pretty tough customers with good movement speed (not to mention you can carry veggie cakes in their inventory for healing) it was still mostly a joke. :)

Archived