How to play all Story Maps in Order as a Solo?

Picolo

10 hours ago, Seshter said:

Sure but the OP's point is that they only have 3 hrs a day to play. I don't think that the OP wants to waste their time restarting on every friggin map.

True, it's possible they don't want to do that, then again maybe they do (if they're using accelerated settings). No one told the OP that this is how they should play, just like no one called the OP silly for having only 3 hours per day. People were discussing different ways of approaching the game, all of which are valid for the individuals describing their own idea.

And yes it is Silly imo.

You're still confusing "you" with "everyone else". It might feel silly for you, but that doesn't mean it's silly for others nor is it silly to offer it as one possibility. I could just as easily describe your method a silly, because it would be silly for me, but it's not silly for you. And really the point of this thread is for the OP to chose an approach that's not silly for the OP, regardless of how you or I play the game.

If you aren't playing ARK PVE for the storyline, then you're basically playing dress up with dinosaurs.

Which is a perfectly valid way to play ARK. Again, what you want to do for you is not necessarily what others want to do for themselves, you need to get out of your own head, this thread isn't about you.

This is ARK, not The Sims.

It's a game, and especially in single-player every person has the right to play the game exactly how they want to, even if they're playing it like it's the Sims.

The only thing silly in this thread is you trying to tell other people how they should play their game.

Incorrect. The point of a game is to have fun with it, then finish it, and move on to greater and better things. Possibly coming back to it a couple years later, once you've forgotten most of it. Games aren't supposed to be forever games.

Incorrect. The point of a game is to have fun with it. Period. End of sentence.

Everything you said after that is just a description of what's fun for you, and this thread isn't about you.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

having only 3 hours per day

Buddy, I get (at best) 3.5 hours a week. I use almost no boosted settings, and I play totally vanilla. It's your game, and you get to play it the way you want. I completely agree with all of @Pipinghot's points. ARK singleplayer is essentially a sandbox game. You play it whatever way you want to play it. If you don't like the way others play it, then disagree silently. It's not your place to tell them how to play their game.

Cheers, good luck, and happy ARKing!

@Seshter

Well, I didn't overlook it, I opted out of carrying over progression because of all I'd miss. It's true that either way I miss something, I just chose the early game progression rather than the rushed and easier option, which fits my play style generally.

Whether it is cheating we can leave for another thread.

Your confusion about "overly repetitive and grindy" design being somehow "unnatural" is a common phenomenon. Remember that just because YOU feel something doesn't mean others do.

For example I despise the "repetitive and grindy" action based precision, aim and memorization required in say, Mario, or Zelda games. Obviously millions of gamers don't feel that and I would be laughably, weirdly wrong to claim they feel the same.

On the story and typical playstyle, you are ofc completely correct. There certainly are two contradictory design paradigms and I've simply chosen my favorite, and it certainly will be the less common choice. I recommend mine in case OP happens to be of my predelections. The point would ofc be the fun had along the way.

Remember also that many gamers don't play for some sense of achievement or completion; for us the moment to moment gameplay IS the fun, the point. So there is no waste when we start fresh, even if we "only" play 3 hours a day. In fact I sometimes view finishing a game as a negative event, losing something!

Also, you're assuming that storyline and Dino-Dress-Up are the only draws of Ark once PVP is excluded. Firstly, Dino-Dress-Up is likely more popular than you think; the sheer number of mods about it reflects this. Secondly, remember that PVE incorporates more than a story; it also has the baseline gameplay. Taming, building, exploring, etc. So I've pretty much ignored the story completely and yet still put 2k hours into PVE. And I don't even name my dinos let alone use mods to pay MORE attention to them.

And no, you don't get to dictate whether I play through Secret of Mana again (and again), even if I already beat it 25 years ago ;)

You're correct also about the Morrellatops, and the XP rate. It certainly WOULD be pointless to start at level 1 and just zoom up to 50. Which is why I put my rates on 0.25, which (roughly) reflects the original rates on release (of Island/Scorched). So XP (and thereby access to jars etc) becomes a relevant factor again. Also in late game you'll find yourself *building entire XP farm bases*! Awesome!

@Jo3Blo13 & @Seshter

The cage mechanic is used and designed to allow enemies to perpetually withhold access to your characters. With a proper tribe structure this could be weeks or months. So effectively permanent loss requiring a restart if you wish to continue playing. This ofc only matters in PVP but the design is there.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, Oldster said:

The cage mechanic is used and designed to allow enemies to perpetually withhold access to your characters. With a proper tribe structure this could be weeks or months. So effectively permanent loss requiring a restart if you wish to continue playing. This ofc only matters in PVP but the design is there.

And by no logical extension whatsoever does that mean you are intended to lose your character and start over. It just means lazy people can't wait it out and do it on their own.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

And by no logical extension whatsoever does that mean you are intended to lose your character and start over. It just means lazy people can't wait it out and do it on their own.

I would replace lazy with impatient there, but either way it's definitely part of the design that the possibility of losing your character to other players exists. Can you recover your character if captured? Most the time, indeed almost all of the time if the enemy drops the ball or if you're motivated/patient enough. But no matter how motivated/patient you are the fundamental game design still includes the possibility that you can lose a character for a length of time that is, for all intents and purposes, permanent.

Archived