took a break First boss to fight and why

DarkApprentice

Fastest path to a boss fight is broodmother by far. You can do it at a lower level. You can do it with megatherium because as the spider minions are summoned your army gets the bug buff. And one of the most important facilitating factors is that you can get the megatherium saddles in yellow supply crate drops, which I'm pretty sure are more numerous in their spawn locations, and drop with higher frequency than their counterparts the reds, which is one way to gt a rex saddle bp. There's other ways to get rex saddle bp like farming caves and fishing. None of the ways to get rex saddle bp is considered easy, whilst I've gotten my megatherium saddle bp by accident on several of my various play throughs. If you're still collecting various things early in a play through you should be hitting red and yellow drops with extream prejudice. And sometimes purple. (like diverting your current goal to fly over and grab a drop instead of e.g. finishing a tame). And after a while you'll probably have a megatherium bp and probably still be looking for a rex one. And lastly they tell me you can fight her with just max wild / perfect tame megatherium. I haven't verified that last info. But I'm pretty sure I saw someone do it. At least I saw a army getting set up and afterwards a few of their un mutated theriums were sitting around the ob unclaimed as well as some other gear anda stash of med brews. I think they probably lost 80% of their army though. Either got hit really hard and were like screw these ima get better ones, or they were like k theres one boss down ima quit while im ahead, or perhaps they did have some mutated ones and those survived and I wasn't around to see em pod em up and the others were unclaimed cause they were realizing they needed to breed up more and not use any garbage next time. Who knows.

All of the gamma Island bosses can be done with basic first gen imprinted creatures; hell on Fjordur (which also has the Island bosses with exact same stats, just different arena layouts) I did them all before transfers with a mix of high level wild tames & imprinted ones, with fairly mediocre (like 40 armor) saddles.   

As others mentioned, the Broodmother on the Island is probably the easiest to start with.  That boss has the easiest to aquire artifacts, and is the most straight forward fight - the only real strategy involved is getting your tames to surround it fully.  Megatheriums are excellent for this fight, though it can be done with good rexes or therizinos too.  I used a mixed of wild tame sloths, imprinted ones, and a few random rexes while I rode a yuty last time I did it.

Next up is the megapithicous.  On the Island, this arena has a tricky walk way where if your tames get knocked into the hole they instant die.  So the safest way to do it is to leave your combat tames at the start, run up with your yuty to get the ape's attention, then run back down behind your combat tames.  Last time I beat this on gamma I used just breeding reject wild tamed rexes & therizinos, and they managed to win with only one loss.  

Finally, there is the dragon, which is much, much harder. Its fire breathe does % damage to anything that is not a magmasaur, the lava in the arena is a major pain, and its dimorphodon minions can damage you even when you are on a mount. (Unless that mount is a magmasaur, and maybe andrewsarchus too).  Sticking to only Island tames, your best bet is therizinos loaded with veggie cakes while you run around like a maniac on a yuty. If you can access other maps, magmasaurs to ride on, deinonychus, and shadowmanes can all be useful in that fight. 

16 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

max wild / perfect tame megatherium

I mean, it's possible, but likely difficult. Someone may have to provide some sort of heavy support from that one place where you can jump to. Possible though. Honestly, legit everything works on the broodmother. Rex rushing, megatheriums, deinons, theris. Shadowmanes and spinos are especially viable because there is water in the arena, and both have their water buff. Yuty is always needed, and if you're using wild tames, use a daedon-they are excellent for boss running.

Good luck, and happy ARKing!

Magmasaur and andrewsarchus are great for any boss, since they've got the invulnerable saddles. Both can also provide long range fire support , with the magmasaur also burning your target, and the andrew's sheer dps. Both also do excellent bite damage, especially andrewsarchus for their size. Andrewsarchus are more expensive to use over a long period of time, but their dps is unmatched. A deinon in the dragon arena would totally work, since I'm pretty sure the Dragon takes extra damage from bullets, and deinons do bleed, and you can shoot of the back. After all, a single deinon can take down the dragon-why not a mutated pack?

7 hours ago, Dreadcthulhu said:

As others mentioned, the Broodmother on the Island is probably the easiest to start with.  That boss has the easiest to aquire artifacts

I was going to ask what some one thought about artifacts cause most of the time I've left it to someone else to gather them so I don't have much experience in that part of the boss setup. Good to know that is also pointing towards broodmother.

7 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

I was going to ask what some one thought about artifacts cause most of the time I've left it to someone else to gather them so I don't have much experience in that part of the boss setup. Good to know that is also pointing towards broodmother.

Depends of your equipment and dinos. The caves of Artifacts for Broodmother is easy and the trophy are simple to found.

Megapitecus Boss is more easy of Broodmother to defeat but the Artifact's caves need some preparation, and Trophy not easy to found (es. Megalania Tossine can be founded only in the caves), but Megapitecus is very simple to defeat and give you more Element of Broodermother.

Dragon is other story..you need good equipment for underwater, cave and trophy are difficult without a goog preparation and the Dragon is hard Boss.

shortcut: if you have access to the Cristal Isle map, you can very easily get all the Artifacts useful for the bosses of The Island (but this takes away the beauty of facing the caves) and they can be transferred between maps, while the Trophies are not transferable and you will have to then get them on the spot, at this point Megapithecus becomes even easier because the only small difficulty that remains is to obtain Megalania Toxin.

Check the wiki - https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Artifacts for artifact locations.

And since someone brought up megalania toxin being a pain to find on the Island, there is an easy solution to that - tame a breeding pair.  Megalania are the only creatures where tame versions still drop the trophy item, so you can just mate them and kill the babies for the item. 

22 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

thylo.....thylo is a nasty murder kitty that sits in redwoods trees and pounces you off your argy/pteradon. But in a cave, can go toe to toe with almost anything. The only caves I don't take a thylo with me is the ice caves, and water caves.......even in the swamp cave, I got a pocket kittey even if I use the frog to get some cheap paste.

Thicc monke is a bit of a glass cannon. He hits hard, but he's not that terrible to take down once you have some spinos, rexes, or the like. The dragon haunts me in my deepest nightmares, but broodmother is probably the first boss you should take on. Somewhat difficult, but a an army of well-bred megatheriums should easily take it on. Also, thyla is excellent for caves, but bary is superior in terms of all-roundingness. It can swim, it's got a nasty bite, it jumps, and it's got that vicious tail whip in the water. Caves are no problem at all. Thylas hit hard and do bleed and can climb, but are lacking in terms of water mobility. Deinonychus (if you have access to them) are probably one of the better mounts. They can sort of climb, they do bleed, they're small, fast, and nice looking as well. Some caves you could do with a well-bred raptor if you really wanted to. The snow caves scare me, and for those, direwolves are best. They're small, hit hard, and can sniff out purlovia so you can take care of them. For the water caves, use either a well-bred megalo, basilo, or tuso. Bary is also viable, as is a spino. Spinos do have oxygen, so be mindful of that. Shadowmanes will totally destroy any cave they can fit in, of course. Basilo is likely the best option for the water caves, and second is tuso. Basilo is smaller and easier to control, so top choices-land caves, bary, and water caves, basilo (voted by the ARK community-I'm actually taking some of this from a video of Raaslcark's).

Cheers, good luck caving, and happy ARKing!

17 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Thicc monke is a bit of a glass cannon. He hits hard, but he's not that terrible to take down once you have some spinos, rexes, or the like. The dragon haunts me in my deepest nightmares, but broodmother is probably the first boss you should take on. Somewhat difficult, but a an army of well-bred megatheriums should easily take it on. Also, thyla is excellent for caves, but bary is superior in terms of all-roundingness. It can swim, it's got a nasty bite, it jumps, and it's got that vicious tail whip in the water. Caves are no problem at all. Thylas hit hard and do bleed and can climb, but are lacking in terms of water mobility. Deinonychus (if you have access to them) are probably one of the better mounts. They can sort of climb, they do bleed, they're small, fast, and nice looking as well. Some caves you could do with a well-bred raptor if you really wanted to. The snow caves scare me, and for those, direwolves are best. They're small, hit hard, and can sniff out purlovia so you can take care of them. For the water caves, use either a well-bred megalo, basilo, or tuso. Bary is also viable, as is a spino. Spinos do have oxygen, so be mindful of that. Shadowmanes will totally destroy any cave they can fit in, of course. Basilo is likely the best option for the water caves, and second is tuso. Basilo is smaller and easier to control, so top choices-land caves, bary, and water caves, basilo (voted by the ARK community-I'm actually taking some of this from a video of Raaslcark's).

Cheers, good luck caving, and happy ARKing!

I agree with basil for ater caves, they get a lot of health when leveling up. I would urge you to consider breeding them specifically for the damage and defensive improvements with the imprint buff.

Archived