Things That We'd Like to Fix

ObstinateSparrow

To start off, I want to say 'thank you' to everyone who has worked on (and are still working on) Ark for Switch.  It's already way, WAY better than the old version!  So again, thank you!

But nothing is ever perfect, especially at launch.  So, I thought it might be a good idea to have a general thread about things we'd like fixed.  The few things I've noticed are not a big deal, but they're there nonetheless...

-The 'Maximum Difficulty' setting doesn't work.  I've tried it a few times, even did a dino wipe, but it still doesn't work.

-The weird 'hop' on the raft around the sail.  This one is just a minor annoyance, but I've landed in my campfire a few times.  Not fun.

-When I removed the torch from my Parasaur's saddle, the 'torch' was still there.  And when I removed the saddle, the 'saddle' was still there, but only in appearance.  (My Parasaur had the Animated Skin on it.)

Even if these issues never get fixed, this game is AMAZING!  So, thanks again for remaking it!

PS: I should note that I play singleplayer mode, and so I wouldn't have the first clue about any online/multiplayer issues.

the max difficulty bug is not a bug with the setting itself, but with the general tab of the settings menu,  it seems to uncheck or recheck anything you've done or undone when you restart the game  yet numerical settings i.e xp multiplayer, taming etc seem to be retain just fine, and the advance tab seems to be unaffected by it all together

example: I checked max difficulty and unchecked single player mode[or whatever its called]  and when I restart the game,  they seem to revert back to their default settings.

edit: another thing that needs fixing is that shadows seems to be tied to bloom setting, when I have bloom off and gamma offset set to default, my base is completed hard to see inside  [mind you same settings I used on pc but  the wood atleast  brighter during the day"but the minute I turn on bloom,  it fixes itself,   tbh i can't exactly pinpoint the problem with  shadows or dark places seeming to be extra dark for no reason, but I'd like that to be fixed if at all possible.

There are a few other minor things I've noticed.

-When I log back in, meat won't cook in the Campfire unless I turn it off then on again.  Also anything crafting in the Mortar and Pestle 'freezes,' it resumes if I have it craft something else.  This glitch might affect the Compost Bin (I'm not at all sure if it even works, since I haven't been able to get any compost yet.)

-I grew some Narcoberry Plants in a Small Crop Plot.   Everything works just fine, but the plants are invisible.  No idea if this affects other plants and/or other sized Crop Plots.

-Some Loot Drops stop descending when they are still too high to reach, and others bury themselves and can't be accessed.

Like I said, minor glitches.  The game is already so much better than it was... words can't even describe it! 

I am not having the problems that you are having, except for the compost bin. But I hope that they will be solved soon.

I noticed the following bugs on singleplayer:
- compost bins don't work, when I place them again they work, but only once and then not again
- whole piles of berries disappear from the inventory of tames and from feeding troughs when I move away from them (When I came back, tames with berries in inventory died, but all carnivores are alive) Does anyone else have this problem? I haven't found anything about it yet. Support has already been notified, they are already working on it.
- Loot drops can not be opened

Nevertheless, I totally enjoy the update and I think it's very well done. The long years of waiting have finally paid off.

I also play on the Switch, a couple things I’ve noticed are:

- after the most recent update, I am no longer able to paint clothing

- using console commands and flying, I die if I go too high 

- if I unequip a saddle from a tame with the r trigger, it disappears and I lose it. If I manually move it to my tames inventory, it stays. 

- gravestone text is limited to 15 characters, where before you could write a whole lot more. 

I also only play single player, and am very happy with the new updates. 

Okay I know how to fix the difficulty! Use the command setdifficultyoffset 5.0 to set the wild dino level to 150. Then do a dino wipe. Its what I use in SP on the switch.

I've also discovered another problem! On Single player mode:

-There's a maximum structure limit of 1450 structures. 

I really think this needs to be adjusted. If I'm the only person building, I want to be able to build as big of a structure I want. Its very limiting. If they dont raise the cap then at least give us the option to adjust it ourselves. I know on PC there's a way to change it in the config files. I'm going to post a thread regarding this problem to see if anyone has found a fix.

A few more minor things:

-The game always tries to connect to the internet when launched.  Most people won't notice this one, but I don't have wi-fi in my home, so it tries to connect, and fails.  This is mildly annoying since the game can be played offline just fine.  (My temporary 'fix' is to keep my system in 'Airplane Mode' so it doesn't try to connect.)

-The character limit on a note is 15 characters.  Just writing '15 characters' is 13 characters already... not much of a note, is it?  (I personally like to note the stats of my dinos when I tame them, so I know what their base stats are after they've been leveled up, in case I want to breed them.)

6 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

A few more minor things:

-The game always tries to connect to the internet when launched.  Most people won't notice this one, but I don't have wi-fi in my home, so it tries to connect, and fails.  This is mildly annoying since the game can be played offline just fine.  (My temporary 'fix' is to keep my system in 'Airplane Mode' so it doesn't try to connect.)

-The character limit on a note is 15 characters.  Just writing '15 characters' is 13 characters already... not much of a note, is it?  (I personally like to note the stats of my dinos when I tame them, so I know what their base stats are after they've been leveled up, in case I want to breed them.)

Oooh You could take a screenshot of their stats or snap a picture with your phone. That's what I usually do. Sometimes I just write it down.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:37 AM, ObstinateSparrow said:

A few more minor things:

have you tried to turn on airplane mode? i do this when i want to go offline/undisturbed or on my kids switch.

6 hours ago, ChaoticDragonKing said:

One thing I would like to add to this topic is the request to be able to save single player presets/server settings on nintendo switch, because having to re-apply all my settings is so tedious that I stopped playing Ark on switch 

This has been a problem since 2018.  It seems to save some settings but not others.  I've gotten used to it... but it's still annoying.

Another thing- when I log out and then back in again, crops in Medium Crop Plots stop growing.  Nothing I do gets them to start growing again.  I tried destroying the crops and planting over, but the crop plots themselves are bugged.

I'm very happy with the game update, but I find several important problems

The option to whistle “come here” and whistle “attack this target” has been lost. At least the pre-update checks don't work the same and I didn't find a way to do it

Vision with Scuba Mask does'nt work and underwater it is difficult to play without being able to see correctly

It has already been pointed out that a high percentage of suplply crates cannot be opened.

The preserving bin does'nt produce meat and prime meat jerky. I have put the ingredients for days without making any piece of dried meat

It has also been pointed out already. Creatures that I stored in cryopod before the first patch cannot be recovered.

For me, the problem of not knowing how to whistle the creatures is the one that currently brings me the most difficulties.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, PalArk said:

I'm very happy with the game update, but I find several important problems

The option to whistle “come here” and whistle “attack this target” has been lost. At least the pre-update checks don't work the same and I didn't find a way to do it

Vision with Scuba Mask does'nt work and underwater it is difficult to play without being able to see correctly

It has already been pointed out that a high percentage of suplply crates cannot be opened.

The preserving bin does'nt produce meat and prime meat jerky. I have put the ingredients for days without making any piece of dried meat

It has also been pointed out already. Creatures that I stored in cryopod before the first patch cannot be recovered.

For me, the problem of not knowing how to whistle the creatures is the one that currently brings me the most difficulties.

Double-clicking L is both the 'move to' and 'attack target' command.  It targets whatever is in the center of your screen.

I've had no problem with the preserving bin thus far.  It's possible that any preserving bin built pre-patch no longer works... and with crops, I either get a crop plot that doesn't work, or one that works, but with invisible crops.

Ark has come so very, very far.  That these are the main problems just proves it was (re)developed with a great deal of care.  I hope everyone is enjoying it.  I know I am!

14 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

Double-clicking L is both the 'move to' and 'attack target' command.  It targets whatever is in the center of your screen.

Thank you very much. I'll try it right away.

With the crops, all of mine are invisible now, but at least they work

I agree, Ark has come very far. It's like night and day compared to the pre update game

Regards,

I'm also having issues with some of the structures that are supposed to be producing items, i.e. the preserving bin, compost bin & tree sap tap. I figured it might be an issue using ones that were build pre-patch, but I've destroyed them all and they still aren't working. I've had an issue periodically with the forge too, but stopping it and starting it again seems to make it start working.

I also have some dinos that are still stuck in their cryo pods as well.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but the crop plots seem to act differently if placed on a raft.  On the raft, they 'freeze' and refuse to produce crops, but on building foundations on the ground, they grow just fine.   I've had no problems with the preserving bin, but it is on a raft... so maybe it only works on a raft?  That would be odd...

Like I said, I don't know if any of this is useful, but I hope that it is...

(I saw that ChaoticDragonKing updated their post, so I'd like to know what creature causes the game to crash when cryopodded?  Just so that I can avoid cryopodding said creature, or test for myself.)

This message is a reply to ObstinateSparrow but can also be useful for other people.

It seems that if a creature is in a cryopod for more than a day it will get stuck and when you try and throw it out it will crash the game. I've been playing on Scorched Earth and so far all my dinosaurs put in a crypod and left there for a certain amount of time will proceed to crash the game if thrown out. I don't know why it will pick one dinosaur and another of the same dinosaur and only choose one that will crash the game and one that won't (The dinosaur I used was Argy and I had three of them and two could come out and one couldn't). Like I said before my theory is that if left over for a certain amount of time it will crash the game. The dinosaurs I've lost have been; Yuty, Wyvern, Argy, Tapejara, Rock Elemental, Anky, Megalainia, Peraceratherium, Terror Bird and Pulmonoscorpius. Hope this helped ObstinateSparrow

17 hours ago, ChaoticDragonKing said:

This message is a reply to ObstinateSparrow but can also be useful for other people.

It seems that if a creature is in a cryopod for more than a day it will get stuck and when you try and throw it out it will crash the game. I've been playing on Scorched Earth and so far all my dinosaurs put in a crypod and left there for a certain amount of time will proceed to crash the game if thrown out. I don't know why it will pick one dinosaur and another of the same dinosaur and only choose one that will crash the game and one that won't (The dinosaur I used was Argy and I had three of them and two could come out and one couldn't). Like I said before my theory is that if left over for a certain amount of time it will crash the game. The dinosaurs I've lost have been; Yuty, Wyvern, Argy, Tapejara, Rock Elemental, Anky, Megalainia, Peraceratherium, Terror Bird and Pulmonoscorpius. Hope this helped ObstinateSparrow

Odd.  Was this in SinglePlayer or on a Server?

For now, either way, it seems the best bet when using Cryopods is to just use them for transport and to keep dinos out of them for the most part.  Losing a Rock Elemental must have sucked, knowing how hard they are to knock out...

2 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

Odd.  Was this in SinglePlayer or on a Server?

For now, either way, it seems the best bet when using Cryopods is to just use them for transport and to keep dinos out of them for the most part.  Losing a Rock Elemental must have sucked, knowing how hard they are to knock out...

Single player and yeah it did suck, considering it is really hard to kill off the low levels to try and find a good level.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:03 AM, ChaoticDragonKing said:

It seems that if a creature is in a cryopod for more than a day it will get stuck and when you try and throw it out it will crash the game

Today, a newly tamed dino, put into a cryopod, crashed the game.

In my case, the rule of keeping it in the cryopod for more than a day doesn't work because although it hasn't been more than an hour since I put it in the cryopod, when I try to recover it, the game crashes.

Before this crash, there had been another unrelated to cryopods. Perhaps in my case, the problem comes from being a recent taming and never having taken that dino out of the cripod, before the game crashed

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Im so glad im not the only one with the meat cooking bug. It really frustrated me that I had to live on berries nonstop. So besides most bugs, 1 annoyed me the most. When you adjust the stats on the menu, like player stats etc, next time you start up Ark from the Switch menu, it wont save like 50% of what you changed. Specially taming stats. It took me so long to change it into pretty much my perfect setup for dinos having decent stats when tamed, after logging off and entering the next day to see all my tame stats being reset. I really hope they will fix this big issue.

Archived