Carcharo Taming Tips?

Charyzard

I've been struggling to tame one of these guys and I'm looking for some help.

So I know how its done, you feed it corpses, it trusts you, then you ride it and slaughter everything.

I'm having issues at the trust part right now. I built a trap with a bear trap in the center and metal gates around it like a giga, seems like all the videos on youtube right now suggest doing this too. I get it in the trap, close it off behind it, now its trapped and ready to feed. I've been killing things and dragging it over, it sniffs them, then doesnt eat them? Then it'll repeatedly do the sniffing animation but not eat them.

Is this a bug? I had this issue with another one and what fixed it was tightening the trap so it couldn't move at all, now I have another one and it's having the same issue but I tightened the inside of the trap and it still won't eat.

Do I need to let it sit for a bit and get hungry? Or is there something wrong with my trap or a possible bug making it sniff but not eat? These are still brand new so there isnt much info out there yet. 

I don't have a good tribe mate at the moment that I'd trust not to just get our stuff killed. But I've been trying to imagine if someone were on a snow owl and another guy running naked / no gear, and the guy on the ground grabs hold of a kill from the owl and the owl flits over and freezes the carchar, and the ground guy drags body into position, and the owl lets go and flies away. Oc. then the char wakes up and eats the snackrafice and also the tribemate, rinse an repeat till it goes to the mount and slaughter phase. I think it'd work and then no trap necessary.

Breed rexes/spinos, hatch and pod the babies. The more - the better, you never know when things will go wrong.

Take a good shotgun, some ammo for it.

If you have a desmodus - gather blood, make a sanguine elixir. Also take some blood with you - you might get hurt.

Put on some good armor and take a sino.

Find the carchar, take a bit of ammo and a few of podded babies with you. Leave rest someplace safe but close enough (hard to do with a wild carcha nearby, but try).

Wait for carcha to kill everything near it and calm down. Unpod a baby, shoot it, drag it to the carchar. Hold it until the carchar sniffs it, then drop it and use your sino to get away. All three carchars I've tamed only needed one to get friendly, but highest of them was level 90, so i don't know if max level will also be friendly after just one. Better safe than sorry - after all, you CAN afford that bit of extra time, since you got your snackrifices right in your inventory and killing them doesn't take long. if dropping the corpse form a ledge - make sure carchar can reach it in 1-2 tries, otherwise it won't count when it finally eats it (I guess your scent will wear off).

No trap needed. With low levels you can use sanguine elixir (if you decide to use it) during first run, but as my experience with taming a level 90 shows, with higher levels it's best to save it for later, in case things go wrong and you have to go home for more baby dinos.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, Charyzard said:

I've been killing things and dragging it over, it sniffs them, then doesnt eat them? Then it'll repeatedly do the sniffing animation but not eat them.

Is this a bug?

Seems like a bug to me. I've had the carchar go completely passive inside the trap after eating once or right from the start. Make the best of the situation by dragging a whole bunch of corpses over to it. Then leave render and come back. It'll have reset, notice the corpses and eat them right away, filling the trust meter up.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, Charyzard said:

Is this a bug? I had this issue with another one and what fixed it was tightening the trap so it couldn't move at all, now I have another one and it's having the same issue but I tightened the inside of the trap and it still won't eat.

Sometime the Carcha have problems to eat when the trap is too little.. I think it depends on the terrain

• 1 month later...

taming method for this is totally bugged feed it i high lvl rex baby its ready to ride but there's sod all to kill for miles timer runs out now it either won't eat or it takes the second rex but the icon doesn't appear and it just agros me and now the taming efficiency has gone down by nearly half so no point in wasting any more rex's on it. Stupid taming mechanics imo.

On 11/12/2022 at 4:20 AM, DomiDarko said:

No. I tamed 3 so far and every single one refused to eat whilst being trapped.

It might be more a problem with trap design than it is being trapped period.  People forget they can leave more room between the gates.  It needs enough space between the restricting structures to be able to see and reach food.  It won't reach over or through gates that surround it.  It can however, reach food and see food - in the spaces between.

My problem with Carcha is not fast enough giving the 2nd 3rd carcasses (lava, the center map), the place has lava flowing so I cannot cross, I have to lure Argentavis nearby, but it takes time and the trust meter decreases too soon even before the 2nd carcass is ready. I plan to give baby rex next so I would like to know how many baby rexes does a carcha want before 100% trust meter ? Also does level affect trust meter of the carcha (not taming bar) ?

After it lets me ride it, what counts as taming it, the munching dead dino or the killing ? I plan to feed it TAMED dinoes, so I can prepare high level bred rexes to feed it, but the problem is, CAN he kill TAMED dinoes, since he's technically still a WILD dino, and that would save me time killing rexes manually using weapon/wyvern.

my advice after taming a good dozen of them (official pveDO NOT BUILD TRAPS 

99% of the time they will stop eating the moment they are trapped, i even had carcha doing the sniffing animation but not eating because they were stuck behind a rock 

no matter what you do (move out of render , disconnected , run around counter clockwise) they will not eat, i think i only got one to eat while trapped maybe 2 times despite dozen and dozen of tries

easiest way is just letting them free of movement, make sure there is no predator around, unpod a baby rex (top stat) kill it, grab it and bring it to the carcha, it works 99% of the time and you get instant affinity, mount the carcha, and  kill as many dino as you can, on official pve at 3x you can tame a carcha in 1 try with only one baby rex.

you can get the carcha to 70% taming progress with 95 kill on the counter then use an elixir, that's how i got most of the carcha i tamed

another important thing, is you have to tame your carcha in a spot with lots of wild dino, my 2 favorites spots are snow biome north on the center map and snow biome on valguero, lava island on center is not a good place, not enough wild dino to feed your carcha within 10 minutes 

gen 2 also is a nice place to tame carcha because you can read the stats before taming, but it is a very crowded place , so your chance to grab a carcha there are slim, only manage to tame a lv 130 once on gen2, that is why i prefer the center map, there is never more than 2-3 people at once on the map i play

I just tried taming a max level one, got it trapped, killed a rex baby, tried to feed it with the rex baby, it sniffed but wouldnt eat. I left the rex on the ground, left out of render just a bit far but not too far since I was afraid that would let the carcha out, came back, carcha ate baby rex and insta full friend bar. Too bad I got too close to someone's base nearby and the turret hit it and lost the friend time, it killed me and my otter is nowhere to be found (forgot to create tribe so can't check log). 

Oh, and carcha  won't attack alpha dino. Tried it to bite an alpha carno but no damage registered, and the alpha not attacking the carcha.

• 3 weeks later...

No need to trap them really, just give them a wide berth and wait for them to sniff and start walking towards you, drop the corpse and run away.

So long as you keep enough distance and wear Ghillie they shouldn't aggro.

After hearing all the complaints about the taming mechanics of this creature I thought they would be much harder to tame than they are.
Honestly I found them significantly easier to tame than many other creatures.. Space Dolphins for example I find far more annoying to tame.

Archived