An Update on ARK: Ultimate Survivor Edition for Nintendo Switch

StudioWildcard

Local multiplayer gets removed ? I was looking forward so much for the update. And it is not even safe that local wireless multiplayer will come back ?? Not with me. Like Bethesda and Doom 2016 for the Nintendo Switch and countless others. The world doesnt get more beatiful from that when the day comes and the servers shut down. Very suspicious to me. No local wireless or at least lan. I own as good as every AAA game with local wireless multiplayer 😆☺, except games with auto targeting. Sword art online hollow realization sadly had this. Could have been so great. I hope one day there will be better devs. I strictly boycott those two playabilityremovers.

Edited by Tukan

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Tukan said:

Local multiplayer gets removed ? I was looking forward so much for the update. And it is not even safe that local wireless multiplayer will come back ?? Not with me. Like Bethesda and Doom 2016 for the Nintendo Switch and countless others. The world doesnt get more beatiful from that when the day comes and the servers shut down. Very suspicious to me. No local wireless or at least lan. I own as good as every AAA game with local wireless multiplayer, except games with auto targeting. Sword art online hollow realization sadly had this. Could have been so great. I hope one day there will be better devs. I strictly boycott those two playabilityremovers.

They said it's just removed at launch. They are adding it with a later update.

I'm eager to see Ark Ultimate on Switch myself.  Been eager since I found out about it.  The delays are frustrating, but I'd rather the game be delayed than for a subpar product to be released.  They say anything worth having is worth waiting for.  So let us all be patient a little while longer.  I'm sure it will be worth it!

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

ooooff, just thought. Well then ill install the update. I was just very disappointed from certain switch games. Imagine the excellent M2 port of Virtua racing for the switch. No local wireless. Nya. Then thank you very, very much !! Now i can sleep better and am looking forward again for this great update. Oh and of course playing online is and stays a great gamingexperience in this context

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, SirSandaconda said:

How much will SE and the other expansions cost? Will SE be built in with the update? I'm asking this because on the eShop there is no SE there...

The options to buy the DLCs is via season pass. I'm not sure how much the season passes cost.

However, the Ultimate Survivor Edition will get you ALL DLCs and that will be $50. If you already own ARK on Switch then it would cost you $40.

DLCs aren't available seperately.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:08 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

And you believe them! How cute.

This will represent the first time they've made any publicly accessible changes to the local game in nearly four years (v600.0 released December 18, 2018). That one and only patch did barely anything to improve the state of the game - "two client lock up issues" was the only documented fix, and I'm pretty sure it added more problems in return (like the local MP host engram issue I documented in early 2019).

So I'll believe their intent to patch in anything meaningful only after it's already been done - not a moment before.

Edited by Thalyn
  • Facepalm 1

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Thalyn said:

This will represent the first time they've made any publicly accessible changes to the local game in nearly four years

Well considering these are not the same devs that brought ARK to the Switch originally and have only just taken over the Switch version then i'm not surprised it is the first time they've done anything.

Your frustration about the first 4 years is directed towards Abstraction Games.

It is now being developed from the ground up by Grove Street Games.

On 10/30/2022 at 1:10 AM, GP said:

Your frustration about the first 4 years is directed towards Abstraction Games.

My frustration is directed towards Studio Wildcard, plain and simple. Abstraction may have done the port but it was Wildcard who approved (forced?) its release in its abysmal state, and approved of it remaining that way for years. Further, Abstraction publicly stated (due to the backlash) that they wanted to fix the port but weren't permitted to do so by Wildcard. Following those comments it was Wildcard that had Abstraction legally silenced regarding the port in any capacity.

So while Abstraction may have done a poor job it was Wildcard that has done wrong by consumers.

@Joebl0w13 You can facepalm all you want but prior to release they also promised to patch in DLC support shortly after launch. It's taken four years for that to happen and that has the potential to make a tidy financial return. You think the relatively low financial incentive of local MP is going to encourage them to move any faster on that?

Good will needs to be earned, and Wildcard has a long way to go before they deserve even the slightest amount of trust from Switch owners.

On 10/29/2022 at 3:46 PM, GP said:

The options to buy the DLCs is via season pass. I'm not sure how much the season passes cost.

However, the Ultimate Survivor Edition will get you ALL DLCs and that will be $50. If you already own ARK on Switch then it would cost you $40.

DLCs aren't available seperately.

19.99, for the ultimate because free upgrade soon, so buy it now

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/ark-survival-evolved-switch/

the upgrade for 40 is live if the survivor edition launches, yes if not when :D, it is basically for those who buy ark later and only ark for 9,99 how it looks like for me.

Edited by PhotekPlays

29 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It would be nice.

But how do you expect the new development company to recoup their costs for making it? Most people don't work for free.

you're absolutely not wrong at all though, I think it'd just be rather nice for the community to have some way of being compensated for their time waiting 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, MonkeyKing21 said:

you're absolutely not wrong at all though, I think it'd just be rather nice for the community to have some way of being compensated for their time waiting 

Aside from maybe a very few specific (I couldn't think of any) instances in life. Where else are you compensated for... waiting for something?

16 hours ago, Thalyn said:

My frustration is directed towards Studio Wildcard, plain and simple. Abstraction may have done the port but it was Wildcard who approved (forced?) its release in its abysmal state, and approved of it remaining that way for years. Further, Abstraction publicly stated (due to the backlash) that they wanted to fix the port but weren't permitted to do so by Wildcard. Following those comments it was Wildcard that had Abstraction legally silenced regarding the port in any capacity.

So while Abstraction may have done a poor job it was Wildcard that has done wrong by consumers.

@Joebl0w13 You can facepalm all you want but prior to release they also promised to patch in DLC support shortly after launch. It's taken four years for that to happen and that has the potential to make a tidy financial return. You think the relatively low financial incentive of local MP is going to encourage them to move any faster on that?

Good will needs to be earned, and Wildcard has a long way to go before they deserve even the slightest amount of trust from Switch owners.

This is facts. Wildcard don't like accepting mistakes they rather try to cover it or blame someone else.

Although I wouldn't bother talking to @Joebl0w13  that's a waste of time. Only need to read his replies to see that

Season pass?  Forgive me, but all these terms are confusing.  I figures once you downloaded the game, it was yours for as long as your system worked... Or is that just the term for a DLC (or bundle of DLCs) that you have to buy?  Personally, I wouldn't mind buying Ark all over again, because it's a cool game.  (And the new development team needs to profit from making Ark awesome, after all.)  I just wish the wording wasn't so confusing...

Waiting anxiously, but patiently, the Sparrow.

20 hours ago, Thalyn said:

Very true. Players who bought the game when it launched paid $50 for it. This was when ARK  was on PC and being sold for about $20 (It was in Early Access I believe). Many players paid for it as DLC was to be added. Now we're told we will be getting just the base game. Also, while most players might be ok with repurchasing the DLC, for some of us in low income countries, it's a sizeable sum of money.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

Season pass?  Forgive me, but all these terms are confusing.  I figures once you downloaded the game, it was yours for as long as your system worked... Or is that just the term for a DLC (or bundle of DLCs) that you have to buy?  Personally, I wouldn't mind buying Ark all over again, because it's a cool game.  (And the new development team needs to profit from making Ark awesome, after all.)  I just wish the wording wasn't so confusing...

Waiting anxiously, but patiently, the Sparrow.

Season pass is the term used for a bunch of DLCs.

What is happening here is this:

If you already own ARK (The Island only) then you will get the big update on 1st November.

To get the paid DLCs you will need to purchase either of the following:

• Season Pass ( Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction )
  • Genesis Season Pass ( Genesis Part 1, Genesis Part 2 )
  • Ultimate Survivor Upgrade ( Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, Genesis 1, Genesis 2 )

Anyone that does not currently own ARK can buy ARK on its own, or the Ultimate Survivor Edition to get ARK & all DLCs.

DLCs cannot be purchased individually.

Edited by GP

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, diabolicalfuk said:

Switch servers are down. They have been since yesterday. I see the new game in the eshop but unable to download. What is going on? I assumed you took the servers down for the new update. When will we be able to get back on the servers or new game?

The update drops in about 35 minutes. Servers will come back up after that.

So it's well past 10am on Nov 1st and still no update, how are we supposed to receive it? 

I see the upgrade on the store for people who already have the base game is $40 and I have booted up my switch and tried starting my base game and it's still the same old ark. 

Edited by ShadyJN