What are LDL servers? Who are they aimed at?

SarahMonette

What niche are they trying to fill?  Are they for beginner players who do not want to play on a Beginner server? 

As in the new players who are confused don't even understand the mechanics of Ark to overwhelmed can't get into this game it's to confusing to them?  Because that niche exists big time.  As in there is so much content in Ark 1 now new players don't know where to go or what to do.  Those joining the Beginner servers aren't getting that much help.  There are reasons for that I can elaborate.

It isn't like there isn't a volunteer conglomerate of older players on the Beginner servers trying to help new players.  It's more like we are in competition with the scandalous types.  Most innocent of scandals are pvp'ers impersonating pve'ers trying to recruit solders for their army and vendetta.  A newbie trying to learn to shut off Unreal Engine 4's defunctive bloom and rays is not going to be ready to follow a pvp'er into his kamikaze nihilism.  So it's just becomes amusing to watch.  No harm done. 

However egg/bp thieves are more annoying as they keep trying to befriend anyone they think might own a high level saddle blue print (ie: me) and have keep telling them to get bent.  You know who they are because they themselves have giggas or saddled argies, about seven huge bases taking up land, earth, and sky and 60 or more outposts, "my tribe members who came and gone made not me" yeah right.  I don't care but it's silly to watch it all and I have always wondered if Wildcard had a clue then...

here we are with these mysterious LDL servers I have no idea what this is about.  Anyone know?

I suspect people will play on them for a variety of reasons. Some will play thinking it's a different beginner server and you've already hinted at several modes of thought along those lines. Others may play thinking they will have a chance to dominate them. Be it people who already dominate other servers and just want more power, or people who are being dominated and are willing to take any edge they can find to try to get out ahead.

Limited down-load servers are probably for people that like the challenges of starting with very little and be surrounded by people that relate to your struggles.  I am one of them.  You can transfer your survivor but cannot take any tames from other servers with you.  It forces you to tame as you go, to experience life on foot for awhile again.  I try to do this whenever I explore a new map, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT.  Sometimes I give it a week, sometimes a month before tapping into resources and dinos from other arks.  It's pretty refreshing in my opinion.  And now on LDL, any tames you see running around you'll know they were home grown on that map. If you are one of the players that race to tek tier, enjoy the toys and conveniences they offer, and never want to look back... then LDL servers are probably not for you.   

I would imagine, on PVE servers at least, that it would promote a healthy community of players that work together through trade and cooperation to overcome the challenges.  Players might be more willing to lend a helping hand again.   In a normal world these days Max stat boss dinos are a dime a dozen on some servers it seems like.  Everybody has them.  In LDL servers, perspective will change where level 150 tamed dinos with good stats would be coveted and celebrated again.

There are also many people that don't like playing next to dino factories.  You know what I'm talking about... the walmart looking bases with herds of rexes and gigas standing around the cloning chambers.  Yes, eventually LDL servers will have them too. But not until somebody actually puts in the time to tame and breed a line good enough that warrants / justifies a clone.  On official servers....wow...it will be awhile. 

They are prolly testing the waters for Ark 2 trying to decide how they want to tackle transfers. It's a good step in the right direction imo but I don't think it will do much for ark 1 at this point. I'm sure people already have tek on the servers and prolly huge cheating issues already. There are a lot of huge benefits though, if you don't like manas don't play on lost island and you never have to deal with them, the cheaters can't move around and if someone does get dev wiped it will hurt WAY worse than on full transfer clusters. It also brings back politics to ark which for me was one of the best parts of early ark. Every server was kinda like game of thrones with people backstabbing people etc. Current ark is just sweaties transfering, no one talks, no one knows anyone else, you'll never see them again, etc.

The LDL servers seem like a good way of freshing up the game; each map will have its own meta on what creatures to use and how to get resources, and without stryders & Genesis missions resource gathering gets a fair bit more challenging.  You want element on Rag?  You better get good at those caves, since there is no dust gachas, and no easy artifacts from Crystal Isles.   

For people who want to start from scratch and not want players from other maps just transferring over pre-fab tek bases with maxed out mutated dinos. Granted you can still transfer a high level character in with all their engrams already unlocked but they can't bring in their stuff with them so they'll still have to tame/trade/build on their own from the ground up same as someone making a level 1 character and building up.

My sticking point is....is it true that all of these new LDL servers are PVP? Someone said not a single one is PVE, which if true, is highly annoying in my opinion.

On 10/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, SarahMonette said:

What niche are they trying to fill?  Are they for beginner players who do not want to play on a Beginner server? 

They are PvP servers for players that are sick of endless titan downloads, cranking out at least 10000 bullets a day as well as element shards to fill your turrets just hoping they get stuck somewhere.  Me and my pals went through 4 months of daily titan attacks on our base, it was enough to make me want to quit for a bit lol.  

7 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

They are PvP servers for players that are sick of endless titan downloads, cranking out at least 10000 bullets a day as well as element shards to fill your turrets just hoping they get stuck somewhere.  Me and my pals went through 4 months of daily titan attacks on our base, it was enough to make me want to quit for a bit lol.  

Big true but there's one big issue sadly. Stegos early and mid game are CRAZY op against ARB so sadly gonna be farming that like crazy still

14 hours ago, Tylanater said:

Big true but there's one big issue sadly. Stegos early and mid game are CRAZY op against ARB so sadly gonna be farming that like crazy still

Not that big of a deal if your online, net gun plus rockets maybe a few gas grenades.  Plus the lack of lag compared to taking down desert titans with those lag swarms.

What I want to know is if you transfer over a toon will they be forever stuck in ldl or will transfers off be allowed.  What are the tribe sizes and are alliances optional.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

If the devs were to make pve servers for this then they should put up some sort of max build area similar to the turret caps on pvp servers and limit tribes to one base per map, eliminating all forms of land claiming outside of your build area.

This does sound good at first but then... taming pens, tiny satellite 'bases', a bed with some walls maybe for farming mats. Since you can't use flyers to pick up dinos to tame on PVE this would be pretty restrictive.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

This does sound good at first but then... taming pens, tiny satellite 'bases', a bed with some walls maybe for farming mats. Since you can't use flyers to pick up dinos to tame on PVE this would be pretty restrictive.

Why would you need a farming bases, people can just use  tames like a quetz throw a platform and bam temporary farming base.  Make taming boats or learn to play the game without using taming pens at all.  Nothing worse than dozens of taming pens left about all locked up blocking building or farming.   

Make PvE a challenge again.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

Why would you need a farming bases, people can just use  tames like a quetz throw a platform and bam temporary farming base.  Make taming boats or learn to play the game without using taming pens at all.  Nothing worse than dozens of taming pens left about all locked up blocking building or farming.   

Make PvE a challenge again.

I would rather watch paint dry then fly a quetz anywhere anymore. 

• 2 months later...

Archived