Would my computer use less internet if I stayed in a remote corner of the map

sjskdjkfa

The amount of data should be close to the same as if you were not moving out of an area too much.  I would bet more bandwidth would be consumed from patches to the overall game and/or mods you would have installed that begin updating when you run the game.  The bases textures are already in your game files, the data going back and forth would be positioning data that tells your PC how and where to render the asset files. That type of data would not be as large as the textures from patches.

Some people have to pay per GB of data still in some countries.   I feel for those playing out of Saudi Arabia and other countries that charge per GB. $100 just to pay to patch a game is horrible.

15 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Conversely would I use more data zipping around the map? (Assuming there's like a ton of giant pve official bases and dinos out and such)

Yes, you'll use less data when you're sitting still and more data when you are traveling, but the actual amount will most likely not be significant.

For example:

* sitting in my base my, data usage is averaging about 20 kbps send and 30 kbps receive.

* fly away then fly back, as my base is rendering in my usage jumps up to about 60 kbps send and 450 kbps receive.

Obviously the receive data increases more than the send data because the only thing my computer needs to tell the server is "he's moving, and here's the direction he's going", whereas the server has to tell my computer lots of stuff about the location of all of the tiles and objects in the base, what all the dino's are, etc.

Now, internet connections are measured in mbps, and 450 kbps is only about 0.439 mbps. When we do the math to translate this from kilobits per second to megabytes per hour is looks like this:

450 kbps (kilobits) = 0.439 mbps (megabits) = 26.367 mbpm (megabits) = 1582.031 mbph (megabits) = 197.75 MBPH (megabytes)

If I was on a metered connection this is the napkin math I would use to estimate my personal internet usage while playing ARK. But if you're not on a metered connection then it's all pretty insignificant compared to what your connection probably allows. Comparing 0.439 mbps to whatever your internet connection allows will tell you what portion of your bandwidth gets used by ARK.

p.s. Just in case you're wondering, games like ARK which have lots of player made objects and items use a lot more bandwidth than games with unchangeable maps like WoW or CoD. Even a game like Fortnite, which includes some building, doesn't have nearly as many objects on the map as ARK does. The reason ARK uses so much download bandwidth is because the server has to constantly tell your game client what objects & items to render in.

3 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

p.s. Just in case you're wondering, games like ARK which have lots of player made objects and items use a lot more bandwidth than games with unchangeable maps like WoW, Fortnite or CoD. The reason ARK uses so much download bandwidth is because the server has to constantly tell your game client what objects & items to render in.

Exactly this ...

Also if you stay within "render" range in your bit of the map, you will reduce bandwidth. The traffic from the server (as @Pipinghot correctly sez) is to tell your game client what has changed so that the client can render it. Obviously if there is "high traffic" of 3rd party peeps / dinos through your base area - then more traffic will ensue.

21 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yes, you'll use less data when you're sitting still and more data when you are traveling, but the actual amount will most likely not be significant.

For example:

* sitting in my base my, data usage is averaging about 20 kbps send and 30 kbps receive.

* fly away then fly back, as my base is rendering in my usage jumps up to about 60 kbps send and 450 kbps receive.

Obviously the receive data increases more than the send data because the only thing my computer needs to tell the server is "he's moving, and here's the direction he's going", whereas the server has to tell my computer lots of stuff about the location of all of the tiles and objects in the base, what all the dino's are, etc.

Now, internet connections are measured in mbps, and 450 kbps is only about 0.439 mbps. When we do the math to translate this from kilobits per second to megabytes per hour is looks like this:

450 kbps (kilobits) = 0.439 mbps (megabits) = 26.367 mbpm (megabits) = 1582.031 mbph (megabits) = 197.75 MBPH (megabytes)

If I was on a metered connection this is the napkin math I would use to estimate my personal internet usage while playing ARK. But if you're not on a metered connection then it's all pretty insignificant compared to what your connection probably allows. Comparing 0.439 mbps to whatever your internet connection allows will tell you what portion of your bandwidth gets used by ARK.

p.s. Just in case you're wondering, games like ARK which have lots of player made objects and items use a lot more bandwidth than games with unchangeable maps like WoW or CoD. Even a game like Fortnite, which includes some building, doesn't have nearly as many objects on the map as ARK does. The reason ARK uses so much download bandwidth is because the server has to constantly tell your game client what objects & items to render in.

this helped me out a tun thanks!

Archived