Decay timers still messed up?

Sibun11

I had put a lot of tek pillars down (several hundred) as I re-did my base, so all in a grid, all at least two pillars together and all then with the base above, not all pillars connected to the base's floor, as the pillar cost would of been insane, but all pillars were at least two, i log back in the next dayu and nearly a hundred have decayed.

Ive built over a cliff edge, so had to build pillars up to then build the floor layer across, but the footprint area was all pillared in that snap-grid, and seems to be random which ones decayed, it wasnt like a block of them, it was little patches.

4 hours ago, Sibun11 said:

I had put a lot of tek pillars down (several hundred) as I re-did my base, so all in a grid, all at least two pillars together and all then with the base above, not all pillars connected to the base's floor, as the pillar cost would of been insane, but all pillars were at least two, i log back in the next dayu and nearly a hundred have decayed.

Ive built over a cliff edge, so had to build pillars up to then build the floor layer across, but the footprint area was all pillared in that snap-grid, and seems to be random which ones decayed, it wasnt like a block of them, it was little patches.

Based on your description so far, it doesn't sound like that was a messed up decay timer, it sounds like the pillars are (mostly) working as intended.

As far as I know pillars must be connected to something else, a non-pillar object, in order to have a longer decay timer. You could build a tower of pillars and they would still auto-decay in 24 hours unless you attach ceilings, ladders, etc. to them. Having said that, pillars do still have wonky snap points which can lead to problems, so in that sense yeah they're still messes up.

Sometimes you think they're attached to the ceiling above them but they're not. Sometimes they're attached to the pillar below them on a snap point that's lower than the ceiling. This can cause pillars to auto-decay because it seems like they're attached but they're not. Personally, I've just gotten into the habit of building new platforms using wood or stone pillars and then replacing them with metal/tek after I'm sure everything is good.

11 hours ago, Sibun11 said:

Your description of "at least two pillars together" is confusing.  My interpretation of what happened is you spaced them apart  in too many different places.   The chain of pillars needs to be continuous with no breaks.  There can be rows and spacing, but you must keep each line a continuous stretch connected to the next following areas.   Each chain of pillars will need at least 1 different type of structure piece attached to at least 1 pillar of every unique and separate chain of pillars.  IF the game sees your run of pillars as being all connected, then one ceiling tile would be all that is needed to get the full metal structure time limit.

For example

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

notice the full rows of pillars, complete rows are 2 or 3 tiles spaced apart then connected diagonally to make them all one grid and fully connected. The floor only had to touch 1 point to make it all stable.  ....but of course its always safer to have a few points of contact.

20 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

To see the connections of a specific structure you can use the following command:

debugstructures

ok, now may i ask what am i seeing w/ all the numbers under the pillar info? Is it, One is the structure piece itself and the other(s) is/are recognized connections?

If i see only 1 # , does that mean its not connected to anything else?

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

ok, now may i ask what am i seeing w/ all the numbers under the pillar info? Is it, One is the structure piece itself and the other(s) is/are recognized connections?

If i see only 1 # , does that mean its not connected to anything else?

The white label is the structure itself, and the yellow ones are the connections. For example, that is a foundation with 4 pillars snapped to it:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

The trailing digit are their ID which allow you to identify them. Basically, this is foundation with the ID 2 snapped to the pillars with the ID 1, 3, 5, and 7.

Archived