Single player All Map Play Through Idea

Jaywest

Since I started playing Ark, I’ve always wanted to go through all the story maps in order from The island to Gen2, staying on each map until completion. 

But I have 2 problems and because of them I’ve spent 90% of my playtime on the island restarting every few months after getting bored because I’m sick of the island. 

Problem 1 (low level spawns on story maps)

The story maps are notorious for low level spawns, I feel like I would spend 100’s of hours on the island as I use basically official rates. Then eventually I’d take my boss ready dinos to scorched and then I would probably get through scorched too quickly, which I don’t want. 

Problem 2 (non story maps) 
I don’t want access to things that would make things easier until I’ve reached that point in the game (not having deinos for the dragon on the island for example). But I also don’t want to miss out on all the non story maps that have been added over the years because they look really good. 

The solution (for me at least) is one rule: 

Dino / item transfers are not allowed until you have collected and displayed all Artefacts from the map you wish to transfer to. “

Following this rule will mean once you have defeated the overseer on the island and transfer to scorched, you will have to establish yourself to the point where you can collect the artefacts on scorched. So when you’re ready to fight the boss on scorched is the exact moment you’re then allowed to go and get your island dinos. 

This is how you would progress through the maps

1. The island - The Centre

2. Scorched Earth - Ragnarok 

3. Aberation - Valguero 

4. Extinction - Crystal Isles 

5. Gen1 - Lost island

6. Gen2 - Fjordur 

You would start on the island and have access to the centre right away but remember, NO DINO/ITEM TRANSFERS until you’ve collected and displayed all artefacts on the map you’re transferring to. Then once you’ve defeated the overseer you have access to scorched & rag but when you go to those maps you will have to go naked & alone until you’ve got the artefacts there too.

Playing like this allows you to get the full experience out of every map, without having to then leave your mutated boss killers behind when you finish a map.

You’ll also be able to experience every non story map, in order of release, without having access to things you wouldn’t already have access to on a story map.

The only thing I’m not sure on is I don’t think there’s artefacts on Gen1/2 so I’m not sure what to do there. 

Not sure if this idea will be if any use to anyone I’m just posting because I’ve seen a lot of people talk about wanting to do a story playthrough but not being sure on the best way to do it. 

This is really close to my own approach. I just didn't add the free maps the way you did, I would just roll them to the end.

I liked what you did here though, might try this myself.

I had an extra challenge for example on Scorched Earth, I needed to succesfully tame all 3 Wyverns there before I could even think of fetching them on easier maps (for that purpose of stealing eggs), like Ragnarok.

Cheers!

On 9/8/2022 at 5:40 PM, Jaywest said:

The solution (for me at least) is one rule: 

Dino / item transfers are not allowed until you have collected and displayed all Artefacts from the map you wish to transfer to. “

Following this rule will mean once you have defeated the overseer on the island and transfer to scorched, you will have to establish yourself to the point where you can collect the artefacts on scorched. So when you’re ready to fight the boss on scorched is the exact moment you’re then allowed to go and get your island dinos. 

I also like this thought process! I got so far as Scorched and whacked the boss there with some wild tamed wyverns (cheapest tek grams on offer = manticor). And then went back to the island to go forward ... And got well stuck because I ain't got the patience (or skill) for the massive breeding project required for boss fights.

I have to say that naked start on Scorched was REALLY hard - worst start of any map I have tried!

All of the maps I have gone (mostly) naked into - with the exception that later in releases, I may have gone in with an Argent as a step up from plain naked start.

But in principle - my thoughts follow yours - allow transfer INTO a map where you are well established and THEN bring the big guns!

On 9/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, Jaywest said:

I always wanted to try a run where you was only allowed to use the stone age engrams, but if you wanted to make or build anything else, you had to collect the blueprints to it.
The problem is not all the blueprints show up. Iv found forges, smithies, and a bunch of other "normal" engram BP's in drops before, so its sorta ok if you wanted to do a primative only run, but Iv never found a fabricator, any of the industrial stuffs, and that would be a big bummer if I found a BP for a shotgun or rifle but without the fabricator, couldn't make it.

So its kinda a lost idea.

Thing 1: How to fix the restarting thing.

Solution: Don't

Thing 2: Transferring.

What I did is transfer to whatever non-canon map I felt like, but I wouldn't use the creatures/items I got there on the story maps, until I beat them. For example, if I hadn't beaten The Island, I would allow transfers off of the map, but not onto the map. But when I beat it, then I could transfer stuff onto it. Same would go for Scorched Earth and beyond. Plus, that way you don't have to worry about beating a map too quickly.

Archived