Wild Dino mutations and how to tell what’s mutated

Oibuddy28

Hi I am playing SP, no mods on the island. I have just takes a wild Rex that is all white apart from the protruding scales on its back and body which are black. I have bred it with another red and the baby came out saying it has one mutation on the white Rex’s side, this is how I found out about it having a mutation. So my question is, can I see if there is a stat mutation on the white Rex I found in the wild aswell? Any help would be splendid. Ty

When you tame anything, the effectiveness will determine how many extra levels it will gain, these levels will get randomly distributed between stats and give you your final dino level (this is the level used when breeding, level ups do not count). A wild dino doesn't have mutations. To determine what mutation you have you will need to compare each parent to the baby.

So for example, if one rex has 4000 health and one has 4200 and the baby has something other than those numbers, lets say the baby has 4050 then you have a health mutation but its on the lowest health of both parents.

Ideally with breeding, you take your highest stats and breed them together until you get a single male dino with all the best stats you have. You then keep breeding that male with un-mutated females (or females below 20 mutations)

If you get a mutation, the dino will gain 2 levels and have a color region change.

3 hours ago, Oibuddy28 said:

Hi I am playing SP, no mods on the island. I have just takes a wild Rex that is all white apart from the protruding scales on its back and body which are black. I have bred it with another red and the baby came out saying it has one mutation on the white Rex’s side, this is how I found out about it having a mutation. So my question is, can I see if there is a stat mutation on the white Rex I found in the wild aswell? Any help would be splendid. Ty

wild creatures should not have any mutations, no matter color, or crazy stats. As such, you literally had a mutation right off the bat.

On pc it’s pretty easy to find out.  If you are on PlayStation,  you could find out by using a program on your pc and using the OCR feature to dissect the stats first or manually enter all the stats and have the program try and figure out the points.

or you breed more with them and put all the eggs in an incubator.  From there you can see all the stat #s and eventually you will see a pattern that tells you roughly what is possible and then the stat that was 2 points higher from the beginning can stand out.

* There's plenty of good tutorials on how mutations work, and best practices theory.  

There's always the current primary info source
https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Mutations

If that is too dense, there's plenty of videos on youtube.  It should be completely explainable in under 10 minutes.  Anything longer is wasting your time.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:44 AM, GrumpyBear said:

For sure, if the OP had simply swapped, the 'on the' to 'from the'  it would have made more sense.  But new breeders have lots of catching up to do...

I think you were the only one that might have struggled to understand it mate. Everyone else seemed to understand and reply accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Except that’s exactly what you did and didn’t offer any info that you “thought” I may need. And you jumping straight to insults is a sign of your intelligence mate. In future if your not going to contribute in a meaningful way don’t bother contributing at all. No one wants to hear your useless responses that you tend to give people looking for help.

4 hours ago, Oibuddy28 said:

Except that’s exactly what you did and didn’t offer any info that you “thought” I may need. And you jumping straight to insults is a sign of your intelligence mate. In future if your not going to contribute in a meaningful way don’t bother contributing at all. No one wants to hear your useless responses that you tend to give people looking for help.

I thought the details I gave you were pretty spot on.  

You were misunderstanding the mutation concept right out of the gate.  Wild tames don't come with mutations.  I told you how to figure out how to assess which stat mutated.  I took into consideration that your profile lists you as being interested in the PS4 variant of the game, and you were reaching out to figure out where a mutation came from or which dino had it.  Since we already know it was only on that egg and not on the parents, I touched lightly upon how to figure out what stat actually mutated.  I mentioned a program , its called Ark Smart Breeding or ASB for short.

The PS4 would not have access to mods or the ability to export the data from your animals.  PC version of the game can do that and ASB can read it.  What ASB can also do is , you can take a picture of your screen and feed it to the program.  It can then try and interpret the #s for your stats and usually give you accurate point values using OCR.

You have no other way to examine your animals on xbox or ps4 without breeding lots of eggs, and writing down and tracking the #s you see on the incubators in game.  Incubators come from Genesis 2, you can get from other players if you dont' have that expansion. The #s won't mean much to you until you know more about what your dinos are supplying for dna. You could get several eggs from mating the same male to the same female.   Eventually you would have enough data to be able to say, this 30 points hp is from the male, and this 35 points on hp is from the female, etcetera etcetera. Without ASB, you have to do this all on your own with managing a spreadsheet yourself or if you got great memory you don't need the spreadsheet.

I gave you links to the official mutations webpage so that you could avail yourself of better information if you wanted.  I wasn't sure if you wanted to do a deep dive in reading, so I then recommended to not get stuck watching long videos to demonstrate ark facts to you.  There's a zillion videos out there wasting 20-30 minutes of your time when 4 minutes will suffice 99% of the time.  

I wasn't trying to be insulting.  Everything I said was straight forward.  The point I was trying to make last post maybe came out fuddled. It wasn't about picking apart you or your question or labeling you, but I guess that sounded that way.  For that I apologize. 

Archived