Thoughts on Carchar

Griffin998

I'm just curious! What does the ARK Forum think about the newest addition to ARK's roster of creatures? Feel free to grumble, gripe, and grouse all you want :)

I personally think it's really cool. It looks amazing, with all the spikes and whatnot, and the colors look to be really cool too. Judging by just the promo picture, it's huge-much bigger than a rex. I just hope that it's not just another giga in terms of size, but other than that, I've got really no complaints. The abilities sound super cool too, with the tail whip (finally!) and the bloodthirstiness. Enough about me-what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mangost said:

cool another gamebreaking dino :D

Well, I wouldn't say gamebreaking, since it does have it's checks and balances. I do not think it will have a saddle, as shown by the check + x by the collar symbol on the dossier. Maybe it has some other weakness that one could use to take it down. But it does get pretty close to gamebreaking, especially when mutated, I would think.

I was a Carcharadontosaurus voter during the lost Island election. I support his slogan of Make Ark Great Again, and judging by his abilities, I think he will be able to make good on his promises during his term.

Seriously though, I think it's really cool. I am pretty surprised about the boosting roar though. I'm intrigued to see how it's going to differ from yutyrannus. Also at first, I wasn't too keen on it being potentially as large as a giga, but I've kind of warmed up to the idea. Since both are from the Carcharodontosauridae family, it seems to make sense.

17 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

pretty surprised about the boosting roar though

Same! I wonder of it's stackable with yuty and shadowmane roar. That would make for an amazing boss running team. A carch, yuty, a pack of shadowmanes, and a dadon. Judging by it's abilities, the carch seems like it would be able to hold it's own in a boss fight. That is, assuming it can be brought into boss arenas at all...

Okay, I respect that. I personally like all the new, super powerful creatures they're adding, as I feel it reflects the time period more accurately, and really gives that feeling of Jurassic survival. Having animals that can just pop out of nowhere and eat you and your parasaur all in one bite is probably what would've happened had a human really been in that period. But, y'know, opinions. :)

5 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Okay, I respect that. I personally like all the new, super powerful creatures they're adding, as I feel it reflects the time period more accurately, and really gives that feeling of Jurassic survival. Having animals that can just pop out of nowhere and eat you and your parasaur all in one bite is probably what would've happened had a human really been in that period. But, y'know, opinions. :)

[Edit: Posted too slow. ]Almost nothing in ARK is Jurassic. Most of the "big name" dinos like T-Rex, anky, trike, parasaur are Cretacious (they lived about 80 million years after the Jurassic)

Having said that, you're entitled to like or dislike what you want in a game, so carry on liking it. :)

2 hours ago, Griffin998 said:

Oh my-I'm so confused right now. What...?

Its to do with programming stuff - 8 bit CPU's, 32 bit CPU's and etc. Only relevant to peeps that have programmed for a living, and have done it for a long time.

The 1st "generally available" machines had an 8 bit register, meaning they could address and "talk to" between 0 and 255 different things. And to get technical, they had a limit of 255 * 255 of address space to work with - which is like 64k (yes kilo bytes, not mega bytes or giga bytes). This is like MS-Dos or CPM or Apple IIe operating systems. And those are the kind of machines that "drove" the Apollo moon shots!
and then came 32 bit architecture (kinda Windows 95 era), and in it's time 64 bit architecture (kinda windows 2000 era)

So its an inside (to programmers) joke - with the give away being "error correction" in @Pipinghot 's post .............

---EDIT---
And before I get well flamed - this is an huge simplification of happenings that may not be at all historically accurate. But the principle obtains LOL

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Its to do with programming stuff - 8 bit CPU's, 32 bit CPU's and etc. Only relevant to peeps that have programmed for a living, and have done it for a long time.

Very interesting. I know that an ARK related joke is hiding somewhere in the term "giga bytes", but I can't actually think of one right now. Neat!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived